Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have a picture of the cross cut?

Yeah, I was contemplating buying a new scope for the .30-06, but the scrounger in me heard that another 06 was getting a new scope and its scope would soon be available, so I figured id wait for that one. I just figured the owner of that scope and gun would want the new scope on it for this season, but maybe next season..

Hey, I'm not too worried...last time I borrowed a shoulder mounted cannon, I was able to land a 8pt buck. I'm bringing the .35rem to the Farm tomorrow just to check its zero so my back-up is covered. I know I could use the .223, it shoots remarkably well, I bet I could shoot them in the head out to 100yds with that gun no problem. The 6.5 groups very well too, but switching from 168gr to 140gr, I didn't know where it shoot. BTW, I'm going to bring up the box of Hornady bullets for it, so you can start reloading those. I'm actually very interested in it, if you want I can drive out one night after work so I can learn.

I feel bad for trusty old 30-06, I've owned that gun for 5 years and shot 5 deer with it. I hope with all the extra hardware I have in the cabinet now she doesn't feel left out....

The other thing I've been thinking about is just biting the bullet and getting a new Nikon for the 30-06 and if that other 30-06 donates its hand me down scope Ill put it on the 6.5, I don't thing the 4x that is on it does it any justice, that gun flat shoots and 4x is like ehhhhhh...... It works on the .35rem, but that 6.5.......

Ya'll some knowledge filled fellas, when sighting in today he made me wait at least 5 min between shots. Said that with that big gun the barrel heats up too much and we'd be chasing our dial trying to dial the big girl in. We let the barrel cool and the last three shots clover leafed with two being damn near the same hole. I was impressed with the new M77 Hawkeye, I had heard stories of the Mark II M77 being garbage, but the new ones..... They sure can shoot.

Ive never given "barrel cool down" too much thought before today, what you say fellas??

D8559528-478C-4051-82AD-D2FAB7B9576F.jpeg Thought I’d post of my wood scrounging wagon. Purchased for a song on a farm sale years ago. Farmers are not interested in small stuff like this anymore. I work close to home so don’t have long pulls on the highway. Put new tires on it right away, hoist works great, and the floor is in good shape. Ol’ number 5...

Ya'll some knowledge filled fellas, when sighting in today he made me wait at least 5 min between shots. Said that with that big gun the barrel heats up too much and we'd be chasing our dial trying to dial the big girl in. We let the barrel cool and the last three shots clover leafed with two being damn near the same hole. I was impressed with the new M77 Hawkeye, I had heard stories of the Mark II M77 being garbage, but the new ones..... They sure can shoot.

Ive never given "barrel cool down" too much thought before today, what you say fellas??

Thinner barrels will “walk” as they heat up. Typically this will be witnessed as vertical dispersion on the target. When testing my LRP rifles (medium to heavy contour barrels) I allow 2 minutes between shots. The other advantage of this technique is that it allows the throat area to cool before being subjected to the next shot of cutting torch hot gas and 50,000+ PSI.

OK experts, can anyone ID this old dead tree. It has been on the ground half of forever, in a damp swampy place, and most if it is still solid as heck!

I'm thinking it may be White Oak, but don't know if the bark (the best shot of the bark is in pic #1) matches that. It seems to have a layer of sap wood, but that is hard also. I cut some branches from it 4 or 5 years ago, it was old then, and the cut ends are now still hard as a rock!

It has been down for so long that different species of trees are growing out of the trunk (last pic)

Any educated guess appreciated.
Could it be elm? Bark kind of looks like it but I can’t get the picture to enlarge on my phone.

And if you let it cool down you have more accurate cold bore shots. If you zero with a warm barrel theres a potential to have a different cold bore zero, and in a hunting situation thats not something you want.

I always wait 1 to 2 minutes between shots (to prevent throat erosion) and 5 to ten minutes (longer in hot weather) between groups. Most hunting rifles will shoot 2-3 rapidly in close to the same place, especially in cool weather, but may walk pretty badly after that.

Walking will depend on the steel in your barrel, the thickness of your barrel, and your bedding. That is why I used to glass bed all my Bolt Action guns. It is also why the 220 swift has a 26" bull barrel. No fun to carry around, but that thing really used to shoot (an old Ruger M-77 with tang safety).

I think I may have figured out my own mystery. I'll bet it is Chestnut Oak, that would match that bark. Would also explain why it looks like White Oak grain, but is a dark wood.

Would still appreciate any thoughts or comments.
I was going to say chestnut but you figured it out first!

A guy should be able to dial in his gun in 3 shots and then two more to double check the zero. Never felt the need to let it cool unless I'm shooting for fun.

People will do anything to get a tree removed free. Probably got a 30,000 dollar tax credit for the donation. After they got a licensed tree expert to value it, for free of course, Joe.

Not on that tree , it's donated with pride .
Unfortunately by the time that tree gets to Boston and lit up it will have cost us about 60k$

I have an M77 MK-II in 308. Yes, out of the box it was a 4 minute gun, which for the PA woods would be close enough, but I wanted better. I had the barrel set back by 2 threads and a fresh chamber cut using a match reamer. Now, it's sub MOA.
  • 168gr Barnes TTSX
  • 42.5gr Varget (if I remember correctly)
  • Lake City brass
  • Magnum large rifle primer

Latest posts

Back