Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always, but 044/440s getting very hard to find!!!

I agree on MS440's, but 044's are not merely relatively common here, but surprisingly cheap as well. Shocking considering the local price-gougers here demand near-new prices for old Echo top handles.
I suspect people are trying to get rid of their old saws to get the MS462 and 572XP which will be available locally next year... and already are across the border.

I agree on MS440's, but 044's are not merely relatively common here, but surprisingly cheap as well. Shocking considering the local price-gougers here demand near-new prices for old Echo top handles.
I suspect people are trying to get rid of their old saws to get the MS462 and 572XP which will be available locally next year... and already are across the border.
They'll need to sell a lot of top handles to be able to pay for a new 462:envy::envy::envy:.
I wouldn't mind running either brands newest flagship, but I'm not much of a beta guy and would rather let others work all the bugs out of them first. But if I didn't have the saws I have and I had a tree job come up I wouldn't hesitate to grab either one up.
What is cheap to you for an 044, here they go for 4-700 depending on the condition for runners.

I didn't feel bad, that would have been the feeling if I had put fuel in it and ran it, then it would have lost the value of it having not being fired. One member on here did that with a 288, it was a very expensive cutting session :yes:.
I mean if you are buying it as an investment to turn around and sell, more power to you. Just saying personally I'm not hoarding unused stuff anymore. As my life goes I usually shift priorities from one hobby to the next and am sitting on unused stuff that I end up taking a loss on lol.

It seems any of the modern Stihls outside the 064 are always listed for outrageous prices these days. For some reason the 064's always go for less despite being a great saw IMO.

I paid less for my 562 new than I've seen folks asking for used 440's
Very true.
That's not abnormal for the previous models to sell for what the newer ones go for or even more if they are in great condition. It seems most items will depreciate to a certain amount, then go up a little bit with the next model, then start to drop back off again as people get more acquainted with the newer models. There are lots of exceptions, but if you watch it's an easy trend to pick up on.
I believe as these newer saws hit the market we will see used prices of the 461/372's go down a bit(guys will sell to get the next best thing), but then go back up when they are NLA new(old school guys will have to have them and the price point will be a better bargain on a product they already know), then they will fall a few yrs into the newer saws release(time to sell and move on to the next models :yes:).

They'll need to sell a lot of top handles to be able to pay for a new 462:envy::envy::envy:.
I wouldn't mind running either brands newest flagship, but I'm not much of a beta guy and would rather let others work all the bugs out of them first. But if I didn't have the saws I have and I had a tree job come up I wouldn't hesitate to grab either one up.
What is cheap to you for an 044, here they go for 4-700 depending on the condition for runners.

All the 044's that came up for sale lately were priced in the €450-500 range. Real sales price is probably in the €400-450 range, which is what those saws are worth. They have come down a lot since early 2016.
By contrast in my search for a new top handle (ended up with the much maligned MS193T in the end) I ran into Echo models such as the CS2600, CS300 and the like for which the sellers wouldn't take less than €250. A brand new CS280T will set you back €320, and that's including VAT. VAT-free that means €267. Sod off. :laugh:
As we have no Huskie dealership in the area they tend to be few and far between: the only 372XP I've seen recently was going for €600 and it was still listed during my weekend search.

The only saw I'd be interested in buying right now is a Zenoah (RedMax to you Colonials) GZ4500 but they are rarer than hen teeth. Last year I ran into a landscaping business which had one but they wouldn't sell it any price, and I can well understand why. That's why I still peruse the classifieds despite having a full saw lineup.

I mean if you are buying it as an investment to turn around and sell, more power to you. Just saying personally I'm not hoarding unused stuff anymore. As my life goes I usually shift priorities from one hobby to the next and am sitting on unused stuff that I end up taking a loss on lol.
I hoard lot's of stuff, until someone "needs" it more than me, or until I find something else shinny I just can't live without.
Can you relate:lol:.
Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 10.06.37 AM.png

All the 044's that came up for sale lately were priced in the €450-500 range. Real sales price is probably in the €400-450 range, which is what those saws are worth. They have come down a lot since early 2016.
By contrast in my search for a new top handle (ended up with the much maligned MS193T in the end) I ran into Echo models such as the CS2600, CS300 and the like for which the sellers wouldn't take less than €250. A brand new CS280T will set you back €320, and that's including VAT. VAT-free that means €267. Sod off. :laugh:
As we have no Huskie dealership in the area they tend to be few and far between: the only 372XP I've seen recently was going for €600 and it was still listed during my weekend search.

The only saw I'd be interested in buying right now is a Zenoah (RedMax to you Colonials) GZ4500 but they are rarer than hen teeth. Last year I ran into a landscaping business which had one but they wouldn't sell it any price, and I can well understand why. That's why I still peruse the classifieds despite having a full saw lineup.
That's not bad at all, especially considering the cost of those top handles o_O.
The 193 is a good saw, and very light, a couple small mods and they are very capable of being quite enjoyable to work with and are hard to beat for the price.
Wait until you see what I bought yesterday :sweet:, I'm sure you will like it.
Here's the redmax I want(it's shiny lol), but I won't go out of the way to get it. If I get it I want to put a ported 346 P&C on it, most guys have no idea what it is, surprise:lol:.
https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/tls/d/redmax-chainsaw-g5300-ajlp/6390516889.html

Very true.
That's not abnormal for the previous models to sell for what the newer ones go for or even more if they are in great condition. It seems most items will depreciate to a certain amount, then go up a little bit with the next model, then start to drop back off again as people get more acquainted with the newer models. There are lots of exceptions, but if you watch it's an easy trend to pick up on.
I believe as these newer saws hit the market we will see used prices of the 461/372's go down a bit(guys will sell to get the next best thing), but then go back up when they are NLA new(old school guys will have to have them and the price point will be a better bargain on a product they already know), then they will fall a few yrs into the newer saws release(time to sell and move on to the next models :yes:).
I can see paying extra for a minty 10mm 044 but to pay 6-700 for a 440 just seems insane. And the funny thing is the 10mm saws go for less because they are "old".

I love the 044/440 chassis, they seem compact and handle very well for size. The 10mm saws run strong. My 562 (when stock) would run on the heels of an average 044 and although I never ran them head to head I think it would beat some of the later 440's I tried. Not trying to detract from what is a very good model of saw, but that surprised me when we did run them head to head.

Although at least to me it seemed like saw resale prices dipped earlier this year stronger than normal. Not sure if that was because all of the saw junkies were buying kit saws or just a stronger seasonal dip. But everything is back to par plus now.

I can see paying extra for a minty 10mm 044 but to pay 6-700 for a 440 just seems insane. And the funny thing is the 10mm saws go for less because they are "old".

I love the 044/440 chassis, they seem compact and handle very well for size. The 10mm saws run strong. My 562 (when stock) would run on the heels of an average 044 and although I never ran them head to head I think it would beat some of the later 440's I tried. Not trying to detract from what is a very good model of saw, but that surprised me when we did run them head to head.

Although at least to me it seemed like saw resale prices dipped earlier this year stronger than normal. Not sure if that was because all of the saw junkies were buying kit saws or just a stronger seasonal dip. But everything is back to par plus now.
Just skip the 10mm and have it ported, or buy a gilardoni cylinder. Plenty of hype on the 10mm but it's just another one of those things that doesn't matter much if you are having it ported.
The cylinder on mine was new when it was ported and is the gilardoni(been told it has better numbers than a 10mm by a builder). It's less work to get the numbers optimal, but a 12mm can be ported to be just as fast from what I've been told.

I've noticed it as well... very strange as this Winter is biting hard and hence firewood stocks are depleting fast. Need more firewood... :chop:

I suspect the reason is all the Chinese saws that are flooding the market... I've never seen anything like it, those things are everywhere and cost a song and dance. I take all the "I am smarter than thou" types have migrated in that direction, and good riddance as they tend to be bad sellers and somehow worse buyers. I really like the Husqvarna clones that seem to be fashionable this year... yet somehow I suspect the performances do not match the appearance. :surprised3:

Tomorrow I am going to pick a Fiskars X27. The local hardware store has two left (plus an X25) and are running big end of the year discounts on them so I may as well see what the hype is all about.

Just skip the 10mm and have it ported, or buy a gilardoni cylinder. Plenty of hype on the 10mm but it's just another one of those things that doesn't matter much if you are having it ported.
The cylinder on mine was new when it was ported and is the gilardoni(been told it has better numbers than a 10mm by a builder). It's less work to get the numbers optimal, but a 12mm can be ported to be just as fast from what I've been told.

I would honestly have to find a screaming deal on a clean saw to buy one with the fleet I have now but certainly could happen at some point.

Once I got the 550 ported, the 562 and 65 sat around. Sold the 65 and did muffler mods and timing advance for the 562. Now it is definitely stronger than the 550 again.

I still mull selling the 2186 because I rarely use it. But now that I have it running right it is so fun to use when it is needed.

@chipper1 of course if you have a 12mm saw you can build a hybrid and I hear a few of the builders have figured out the recipe to make it run like it should.
That's another option for sure. I was talking about using the 12mm cylinder though(I think you knew that, but just wanted to be clear).

I hear that.
I would just ask him what it would take to get the saw off his hands if you want it.
Remember it's not what he paid for it so much as what your willing to pay for it. Many folks get caught up in what someone else has into something and miss the fact that they can still get a great deal.
The 288 lite has no front spring as far as I know, that's one of the items that makes it a lite.
Here's one.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/husqvarna-288xp-lite.301277/

My lite doesn't have the spring and has the low top. The parts saw(regular 288) does not.

Nice looking saw, but I'm getting 2 Chinese 440 clones for less, and already have an OEM cylinder lined up for one. (Plan to do a big bore on the other).

Total cost for both will be less than that saw, even with the extra parts.

FYI, the 10 mm KS jugs are known for their consistent and strong performance, and the 10 mm saws are generally lighter than the 12 mm saws. That does not mean that other cylinders were not also VG now & then. The early slant fin 12 mm saws also ran very strong.

That said, my plain jane straight fin MS 440 is a very good running saw.

Back