Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My BILs parents live on a 100 acres of woods up the coast. A few years ago the bought a brand new $100k top of the line Landrover Discovery just before going on a long holiday to the US. Anyway when they got back the car wouldn’t start sure enough the wiring had been chewed out by rats, big time. They put in an insurance claim, the damage was so extensive and difficult to fix that the car was almost written off. Apparently the wiring harness is built into the car and can’t be bought as parts. In the end they got a custom made harness from the factory.
In order to prevent the the rats re-offending they put out rat poison. Anyway a few weeks later they could smell this awful smell in the house and soon after a big wet stain appeared in their ceiling. Turned out a giant carpet python must have eaten some still live rats and end up rotting in the ceiling. Apperntly dead snake is supposed to be the worst smell know to mankind. They had to go up with full gas masks remove it the use bicarb of soda to remove the smell.

The moral of the story....... never go on a long holiday to the US:)

I have it on good authority cowboy is trending towards small saw sissification too. What's next? eCAD?

WTF? I go fishing for a week and come back to read this slander?

I do not and will not have anything to do with small saws. Cowgirl on the other hand is getting interested.

Hurry up everyone, he's so many pages behind us that if we post enough crap real fast Cowboy's gonna need a faster steed to catch this crazy train.

BTW, I got well taxed on my lastest fishing trip. After a couple of traces and a few fish lost to the taxman I got sick of tying FG knots on the water and called it a day. Did get a few Kahawai but hoping for bigger and better species next time out.

I don't remember who said to find the Kinco Ice Breaker gloves but I found some of those and the lesser-insulated "warm grips". Good stuff. Thanks whoever told me about that.

Next question. I thought I read on here about screening out coals from ash and leaving the hot coals but dumping the powder. Was that this thread?

I think that was me. I had a wire basket and shovelled bonfire leftovers into it then shook the ash out and had the charcoal (diesel enhanced) left over. I put the ash into the weekly garbage collection. I would chuck shovel's worth into the heater every couple of hours and it went great. Put too much in and you risk smothering it initially then making it incandescent later on. Probably had a week's worth of heat in it, spread over a month.

Heard something about drop bears from another Aussie member. Everything in Australia has evolved to kill people :crazy2:.

It's true. I caught a tailor this morning and the little bast**d jumped just as I was about to knife him and he bit me on the forearm. He paid the ultimate price for that.

23rd Dec 11.jpg

Well, the days get longer from here. Sorry Cowboy. We will be stealing your sunlight from now till June. :D

Yes. I had better think about rugging up. Or perhaps not.

Hurry up everyone, he's so many pages behind us that if we post enough crap real fast Cowboy's gonna need a faster steed to catch this crazy train.

Too slow! I caught up all the 378 posts since I left.

I've been putting in a couple of hours each morning getting after the fishies (Cowboy had often had a few too many holiday beers to get down and fish in the afternoon). All land based, mainly in the estuary and caught enough to feed us each day with a mix of species. Anyway, here are a few summer fishing pics for you northerners currently enjoying your sub-zero temps (Joe, you're all northerners to me).

23rd Dec 2.jpg

The humble dusky flathead, the only fish smarter than man. Cowgirl generally leaves me to do the dispatching and (where needed) the gutting. She does the filleting and the cooking. I think this is a good deal. We'd get at least a coupla flatties each day for lunch or dinner.

23rd Dec 1.jpg

There were also some nice bream about. This guy wasn't the biggest bream I caught but he was the cutest.

23rd Dec 3.jpg

This morning was a great morning.

23rd Dec 6.jpg

Ah, excellent. A breakfast flathead.

23rd Dec 7.jpg

I often fished with some company. This morning my fishing colleague Old Man Harold was giving me some tips. Old Man Harold also has an unfortunate tendency to steal my fish so I didn't tend to leave them on the sand for too long.

23rd Dec 8.jpg

I'd generally come home each morning with a mixed bag, enough to make me feel like a big man, or at least, as big a man as I can without a Stihl 661 in my mitts.

23rd Dec 4.jpg

We brought this mornings catch home whole. Cowgirl was pretty popular with the Cowcat when it came to filleting time.

23rd Dec 10.jpg

:)

Attachments

• 23rd Dec 12.jpg
    23rd Dec 12.jpg
    810.8 KB · Views: 9
Two days out in the woods this week wall nut 2 loads truck and trailer 20171218_105839_resized.jpg 20171218_105851_resized.jpg
Gave the Dynamark some love (Lombard}
One of the most underrated saws I own
20171220_084047_resized.jpg
20171220_084040_resized.jpg
20171218_114531_resized.jpg
I was thinking of making butcher block countertop
I have never milled any wood but talking with my wife we are thinking of slab tops instead

I have 3 more large ones to fell so I would need to mill in the field or get a bigger trailer idk
I know i have enjoyed working with my wife and if she gets CAD ....... oh the things we could build
Saw a gazebo built with ruff cut wood bark still on and thought wow I need to do that
I will look through pics see if I can find it

Two days out in the woods this week wall nut 2 loads truck and trailer View attachment 620410 View attachment 620411
Gave the Dynamark some love (Lombard}
One of the most underrated saws I own
View attachment 620412
View attachment 620413
View attachment 620414
I was thinking of making butcher block countertop
I have never milled any wood but talking with my wife we are thinking of slab tops instead

I have 3 more large ones to fell so I would need to mill in the field or get a bigger trailer idk
I know i have enjoyed working with my wife and if she gets CAD ....... oh the things we could build
Saw a gazebo built with ruff cut wood bark still on and thought wow I need to do that
I will look through pics see if I can find it
Good thing poulan maid wife size saws also.IMG_20171012_172007.jpg

Back