Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no "half choke" position on a Stihl saw. It is "fast idle". The choke plate is fully open and the throttle is partly on.

(Stop, Idle, Fast Idle, Choke) M-Tronic (push up for Stop, Run, Start). Do not use start for a warm saw or you will flood it.

Since a M-Tronic saws does not have a fast idle position, if you flood it, the easiest way to start it is to put it in the Run position, hold the trigger down, and pull it.

When opportunity knocks, I strike! Got 3 660s through the group purchase plan last year, will get 2 440s this year. For about $200-250 (with upgraded P+C) per saw, delivered, you just can't beat it.

It is nice to build saws that are "clean"!!! You can do it in the heated basement and the wife don't complain (too much). Can't do that with the old dirty ones!

Also, now that hunting season is over, got to hook up with my Tree Guy that has numerous broken saws. He is glad to give me dead ones for bringing others back to life for him. Got to see what he still has. I got the saws out of the shop last year, but he says he still has a full trailer load at his home.

The saws last year were 2 066s and 4 460s. Got to see what he still has!!! I fixed an 066 and some 460s for him, sold some 460s, and kept the other 066 for myself. Everyone was happy! He got several running saws for nothing, I paid for all the parts and some labor from selling the 460s, and got to keep the 066 scott free!!! That is the saw in the HL Supply video with the Cross P+C, still running great!

To miss quote a line "Parts for nothing and the saw for free"!!!
That is a great deal all around for your tree guy and you. And I am sure his accountant ;) has already depreciated those saws so he is literally getting free equipment in return. And since they are Stihl's you can get top $ for the ones you sell.

And I totally agree on repairing dirty stuff, it is such a drag! I normally did it in the garage but after doing a new P+C in that 55 on my kitchen counter and having greasy sawdust everywhere I will never bring in a dirty saw again. I am much more inclined to look for newer saws that suffered user error in the future than run of the mill older stuff.

It seems that we are kind of doing the same thing with saws except I am moving through 35-55cc saws and you are working on the big dawgs. Wish I could consistently find larger wood to cut, even my 20" bars feel left out of the party LOL.

i-rG99zJv-M.jpg

i-W34FGvM-M.jpg

i-mJKT4ZN-M.jpg

I need something to test it with as I haven't anything unplit at the moment. Perhaps some highly valuable walnut I've seen laying about? Well if it isn't rotten already.
I've got a truly great price on it but was literally horrified at the price of gas cartridges: they have doubled in price in less than a year!

Be very careful. Wear boots, keep your feet spread, and have something under the round. It should go through straight grain Walnut like it is not even there.

I love the X-27, but be very careful you don't cut yourself. It may surprise you.

Thanks for the concern.
I've been splitting wood for longer than I care to remember, with both mauls and axes. Personally I favor the former so I am curious to see how this thing perform since everybody using it seems extremely satisfied. If I am not happy I paid a dirt cheap price for it (I checked on eBay before buying ;)) and I'll be back to mauls.
Given I never know what wood I will find and that I have neither the intention to spend money for a splitter nor the room to store it, I still do all splitting by hand. Should I ever manage to move from this bug-infested Hellhole to a more suitable location I may consider a splitter but until then everything gets done by hand here.

I may (may) get some locust and perhaps oak over the next couple of months, so we'll see how it performs.

There is no "half choke" position on a Stihl saw. It is "fast idle". The choke plate is fully open and the throttle is partly on.

(Stop, Idle, Fast Idle, Choke) M-Tronic (push up for Stop, Run, Start). Do not use start for a warm saw or you will flood it.

Since a M-Tronic saws does not have a fast idle position, if you flood it, the easiest way to start it is to put it in the Run position, hold the trigger down, and pull it.

Thanks, I'm still getting used to my MS441.

Thanks for the concern.
I've been splitting wood for longer than I care to remember, with both mauls and axes. Personally I favor the former so I am curious to see how this thing perform since everybody using it seems extremely satisfied. If I am not happy I paid a dirt cheap price for it (I checked on eBay before buying ;)) and I'll be back to mauls.
Given I never know what wood I will find and that I have neither the intention to spend money for a splitter nor the room to store it, I still do all splitting by hand. Should I ever manage to move from this bug-infested Hellhole to a more suitable location I may consider a splitter but until then everything gets done by hand here.

I may (may) get some locust and perhaps oak over the next couple of months, so we'll see how it performs.

Having hand split around 30 cord locust over the years, that x-27 shines on it. Did a little oak but only a few chunks. It did fine there too. Both species are listed as "easy" for splitting.

i-rG99zJv-M.jpg

i-W34FGvM-M.jpg

i-mJKT4ZN-M.jpg

I need something to test it with as I haven't anything unplit at the moment. Perhaps some highly valuable walnut I've seen laying about? Well if it isn't rotten already.
I've got a truly great price on it but was literally horrified at the price of gas cartridges: they have doubled in price in less than a year!
OOH I like the "silver" color on that head.

evening all. took the saws out for a ride today and found some nice dry ash. one small tree that i pushed over with the tractor and one big one that had a nice lean right to the field where i wanted to cut it. had to cut it high because of some barbed wire.ended up with about 3 buckets worth. had to noodle some so i didn't aggravate the back.
20171221_133637.jpg 20171221_130155.jpg

evening all. took the saws out for a ride today and found some nice dry ash. one small tree that i pushed over with the tractor and one big one that had a nice lean right to the field where i wanted to cut it. had to cut it high because of some barbed wire.ended up with about 3 buckets worth. had to noodle some so i didn't aggravate the back.
View attachment 620056 View attachment 620057
The little 490 is feeling left out on this tree if you need a hand with those twigs some day :innocent:.

View attachment 620056 View attachment 620057

Looks like you had a wonderful day. I can't believe they stihl have not picked that corn. It's gonig to make the late season archery a little more difficult.

Back