Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember when I was a kid, before we got a chipper, Dad used to burn all the brush. Two or three times a year he would set the burn pile on fire. We had a 2 acre flat lot next to the yard and he would get piles literally as big as a house. He'd put the old truck tires around the edge and put a puddle of gas in each one and light them on fire. The black smoke would billow up and the tires would get going, only took a few more minutes to get the brush going. Man, I'm glad we don't do that anymore, Joe.

Never really understood the need to use diesel fuel, tires, etc. to get brush piles to burn.

Philbert
I think in the past it was about getting rid of the tires.
As far as an accelerant, why wouldn't you want to use them, that's half the fun.
Most brush piles take a bit to get going as you normally light them when it's wet rather than dry, they also are mostly green wood, then you have to burn when you can and unfortunately that's not always when it's best for burning.
He's got arms like rarefish :cry:.

I must be soft. I don't care.
I wear gloves a lot of the time, I'd probably wear them putting wood in the stove more so I didn't get splinters before I'd wear them so I didn't get burned. Maybe it's like the fiscars, a different technique is needed lol.
When I'm working on anything dirty/greasy I like my gloves. I've done a lot of brake jobs and it's real nice for that, wear the gloves to tear it down, then take them off and install the new parts, but I put them on before installing the wheels/tires.
A lot of guys give me a hard time about it, I just tell them my wife likes my hands to be soft:dancing:.

Yes for me it is, opening the stove without needing the detachable handle, handling splits without getting splinters, handling splits without getting stung by a dozy queen wasp hibernating in my wood (I averaged 10 wasps in the house per cord last year) and reaching right into stove without burning myself.

Simple , smart sheep or goat skin gloves worked ok last year but have a few burn holes by the end of the year, but then became my splitting work gloves all summer and only cost about £4. I just saw the fire resistant gloves and thought they would be great.... Paid 3 times as much and burn 3 large holes in one inside a week. Thought I'd see if I'm missing a good pair but if not I'll happily go back to a pair or 2 of smart gloves each year.

We get complacent with gasoline; forget that it is the vapors that burn, not the liquid.

Chainsaw explosion kills man from York County
November 16, 2017 November 25, 2017
Warrington Township, PA – 68 year old David Baker died from complications that arose from “full thickness” burns. Baker was working at his home when his chainsaw caught on fire. According to the Pennsylvania State Police, Baker’s Poulan chainsaw was not defective. He was working with the saw when gasoline from the saw spilled over his clothes. Baker was trying to start the chainsaw at the time. The gasoline ignited and caught his clothes on fire. He was unable to put the fire out before receiving critical burns. Baker was transported to Lehigh Valley Hospital in Salisbury Township where he died on Friday from 85 percent full thickness burns.

http://dripline.net/chainsaw-explosion-kills-man-york-county/

Philbert

Quick question, gloves for loading the stove, recommend me some. I've welding gauntlets but find them too big and awkward, last year I used simple smart sheepskin leather gloves and they work pretty well but you risk a burn if you push it as they are thin. Recently bought some supposedly fire resistant Kevlar gloves with cotton lining for BBQ and stove use.... But I've just singed several large holes in one. Thinking I'll go back to smart leather gloves but might try something thicker...a garden work glove? Though with no insulated lining they may not work, so any good suggestions?
Heavy Lincoln welding gloves. They are stiff at first but after a couple weeks they loosen up really good. Anything thinner would not be enough for me.

Heavy Lincoln welding gloves. They are stiff at first but after a couple weeks they loosen up really good. Anything thinner would not be enough for me.
Stove came with a welding gauntlet, I used it for a few weeks but it was a bit awkward...probaby as it was a mitten and was very large....it definitely gave protection though!

We get complacent with gasoline; forget that it is the vapors that burn, not the liquid.

Chainsaw explosion kills man from York County
November 16, 2017 November 25, 2017
Warrington Township, PA – 68 year old David Baker died from complications that arose from “full thickness” burns. Baker was working at his home when his chainsaw caught on fire. According to the Pennsylvania State Police, Baker’s Poulan chainsaw was not defective. He was working with the saw when gasoline from the saw spilled over his clothes. Baker was trying to start the chainsaw at the time. The gasoline ignited and caught his clothes on fire. He was unable to put the fire out before receiving critical burns. Baker was transported to Lehigh Valley Hospital in Salisbury Township where he died on Friday from 85 percent full thickness burns.

http://dripline.net/chainsaw-explosion-kills-man-york-county/

Philbert
I live in York county and heard nothing about this outside of AS land.

I remember when I was a kid, before we got a chipper, Dad used to burn all the brush. Two or three times a year he would set the burn pile on fire. We had a 2 acre flat lot next to the yard and he would get piles literally as big as a house. He'd put the old truck tires around the edge and put a puddle of gas in each one and light them on fire. The black smoke would billow up and the tires would get going, only took a few more minutes to get the brush going. Man, I'm glad we don't do that anymore, Joe.
My buddy worked road construction for many years. They plow dirt and everything in those burn piles. I asked him how they ignite that garbage and he said lots of tires and drain oil.

I live in York county and heard nothing about this outside of AS land.
Google it. Copied by many news outlets, but only brief information provided. Sounds like he spilled gas on his clothes when working on the saw and it ignited. 'Chainsaw explosion' sounds more dramatic.

Philbert

Here's a Christmas load from the scrounge pile going to someone that needed a load of wood .

YiYrz_7w7fzLA45ZPjCEzG2AximYaVJwotNbvNbLcaeZOfb-y8sZ4agc-l4yiCVbshp635KUtxYWqOOX0gAJxLk8hFPm-yi_Ed8CQE9qqi08v7bigNJhI673F7zym2TQicnSz5M-MCnEAAQMisuDUD2r_V2ZpFz_k9Rv8PH2oKvoxknx-H9yLx8vvAHSIs4OMuqV4TTXS5VyEUJpYr89-kUBwaOvtafHnPZQTzpNm2Si7U7zIEjBbe-R_L3j0-QJv66nfS0h-epZAIpjwLJgX7YH_ZeH0x2gTIvb2zSeHrzQinPu8UvyN4d0_BrmDoKRDYBX5PhXCaTf6kJChZHSSXacdKsFj7iWEGhJd1nxvfLfDk4cW0haILDs-n9y5ZwBFE9SfGYwIqkWLALet427jhOuK9AbwM4g0vxHC7yXNym-7bv5qH_zxyfB-KzO6VgdHzEOIgr3sDUVJJV2ATLMX2-Un0ARzTGIXEn-elo83_9Ovnh8LOXJEIENTUjTqnuCfX2UHzcEgLyLD82Eiq0t_m3pC0C3k-FbNQ6X-cxu6yiI8f0daxorxd8NdtJL-rwO2BUhXwZGuS4gx6WDv_3PpAGTrii8svZvTPgeRaFO=w1663-h935-no

I'm sure I can scrounge up more to replace it :D

A local man died a couple years ago from burns caused by using gas to start a fire. I’m not going to say that I’ve never used an accelerant to start a fire, but gas is a poor one. Burns too quickly. If I have to light an outdoor fire when things are wet, I will stoop to using used motor oil. I prefer to use some dry wood to get things going. I also prefer to do small fires rather than let a huge burn pile build up until it’s a hazard.

Latest posts

Back