Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There always seems to be a few days of the year when it is so hot you don't want to be outside, or too cold, but it is rare to have this too cold stuff for about 2-3 weeks straight. It is usually just a few days here and there so you can deal with it.

I plowed the drive way and shoveled the steps, hard to keep the hands warm when doing it, but the wind is so bad it is blowing the snow right back in again.

Good thing I'm semi retired and have the time to deal with this stuff, and it is not tax season yet!

My clients are always surprised when there is like a foot of unplowed snow (usually on a week end) and I show up for their appointment anyway. I actually enjoy driving when almost no one else is on the road!

Big warm up this week soView attachment 623708
I didn't wait for the warmup. If the ground thaws I wont have access to the scrounge pile in the mud. Put the 32" on the 395, put the "snow guard" on the 550 and knocked the carb heat hole out of the firewall(? cuz the manual said so?), loaded the 540 and the 445 as a backup. (all saws on deck) and drove to the pile armed with a full arsenal of saws, chains, ropes, timberjack, spud bar and a Glock 19. Just in case I saw any deadly Australian Frozen rattlesnakes. It was a balmy 10F with a 10mph wind. Fully dressed. And forgot my icebreaker gloves. Thats ok though, I brought my trusty wool-lined leather mittens. Then I put a pair of knit gloves inside of them. Not much dexterity but enough to sling a saw and push wood around. Knowing it was cold I warmed up the bar oil, filled all saws so I wouldnt have to mess with that there. I've had the 550 almost a month and havent even pulled the rope. Everything there was much too large for the t540 so it and the 445 never came out of the truck. 550 and 395 land I was in. The 550 is a serious little workhorse with a 16" bar on it. Light and nimble. Exactly what I hoped it would be. Just as I got done cutting the smaller stuff with it that was sticking out at my face, I made and undercut and woodchips somehow got lodged under the chain at the nose sprocket and locked the chain. No big but I wasnt messing with it in the cold so I put it back in the truck and got the 395 out. I'll fix the 550 some other time. I wanted to bury that 32 in a giant chunk of red oak anyway. I knew I wasnt going to be able to get any of that oak in the truck but I wanted to see what the 395 was really made of. The big oak logs are too close together to get to both sides and the 32 isnt big enough so I couldn't get the first big chunk out of the logs. But I buried that 32 in that red oak and the 395 looked up at me and said..."YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A BIGGER BAR. THAT ALL YOU GOT?

It didnt even flinch. In the pic the middle is rotted.(obviously) I cant get a pic of the solid end because the ends are up against the pile, but I buried the bar in the solid end because I had access to one side. I dont even have a gameplan yet as to how to get those logs seperated so I can get around them.

Attachments

• 20180106_141436.jpg
    20180106_141436.jpg
    927.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180106_160856.jpg
    20180106_160856.jpg
    925.4 KB · Views: 18
I didn't wait for the warmup. If the ground thaws I wont have access to the scrounge pile in the mud. Put the 32" on the 395, put the "snow guard" on the 550 and knocked the carb heat hole out of the firewall(? cuz the manual said so?), loaded the 540 and the 445 as a backup. (all saws on deck) and drove to the pile armed with a full arsenal of saws, chains, ropes, timberjack, spud bar and a Glock 19. Just in case I saw any deadly Australian Frozen rattlesnakes. It was a balmy 10F with a 10mph wind. Fully dressed. And forgot my icebreaker gloves. Thats ok though, I brought my trusty wool-lined leather mittens. Then I put a pair of knit gloves inside of them. Not much dexterity but enough to sling a saw and push wood around. Knowing it was cold I warmed up the bar oil, filled all saws so I wouldnt have to mess with that there. I've had the 550 almost a month and havent even pulled the rope. Everything there was much too large for the t540 so it and the 445 never came out of the truck. 550 and 395 land I was in. The 550 is a serious little workhorse with a 16" bar on it. Light and nimble. Exactly what I hoped it would be. Just as I got done cutting the smaller stuff with it that was sticking out at my face, I made and undercut and woodchips somehow got lodged under the chain at the nose sprocket and locked the chain. No big but I wasnt messing with it in the cold so I put it back in the truck and got the 395 out. I'll fix the 550 some other time. I wanted to bury that 32 in a giant chunk of red oak anyway. I knew I wasnt going to be able to get any of that oak in the truck but I wanted to see what the 395 was really made of. The big oak logs are too close together to get to both sides and the 32 isnt big enough so I couldn't get the first big chunk out of the logs. But I buried that 32 in that red oak and the 395 looked up at me and said..."YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A BIGGER BAR. THAT ALL YOU GOT?

It didnt even flinch. In the pic the middle is rotted.(obviously) I cant get a pic of the solid end because the ends are up against the pile, but I buried the bar in the solid end because I had access to one side. I dont even have a gameplan yet as to how to get those logs seperated so I can get around them.
Maybe do a plunge cut from the top into that hole so you can drop a chain in and wrap it around a pry bar for an anchor, then pull it with the truck. Might roll enough for you to work with it.

Spokane, Wa - ticket you for that. There are lot of vehicles been stolen over the years because people start them to warm up and go back in the house for a bit of coffee.

I keep a single key for the ignition so I can lock the doors with my truck running. Plus I've got the super high tech theft deterrent system of needing to use three pedals!

If you want to have a gtg thread go over into the chainsaw forum and post a thread with the title including GTG and your town and state. Nearby folks will show interest if they are into gtg's and you then set a date and get things rolling.

Maybe a dumb question, but what does GTG mean in this context?

I keep a single key for the ignition so I can lock the doors with my truck running. Plus I've got the super high tech theft deterrent system of needing to use three pedals!

Get together. Everyone shows up with saws and food and has a fun day running saws, eating and BS'ing.

I had that problem last year to untangle a pile oflogs. Couldn't get a cable around one. Finally brought along a 3/8" lag bolt and portable drill, inserted bolt, attached cable to truck and it was out in the open.

I have the same 3 pedal anti theft device. Amazing how many people can't drive a standard these days. Should be required to get a license unless your physically unable.

Offer the guy running the front end loader a case of beer to separate them enough to get room to cut from both sides.

I had that problem last year to untangle a pile oflogs. Couldn't get a cable around one. Finally brought along a 3/8" lag bolt and portable drill, inserted bolt, attached cable to truck and it was out in the open.
I thought about that also. I think I found a couple of big lag/eye bolts somewhere and saved them but I'm not sure where I put them. They might even be on the truck somewhere.

Back