Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the wife has informed me that if I want to continue my firewood addiction and keep cutting and collecting the wood I need to start selling some to make space for more. So I am going to start marketing camp fire bundles of mixed soft/hard wood and 55gal drum/trunk amounts seems like a lot of the city people around here might like the smaller amounts. Not trying to make a bunch of money just fund my addiction and maybe my other addiction offroading.
There is always a lot of people giving wood away around here and I have more dead pine than I know what to do with.

Looking forward to reporting in on this thread. I'm on ~20 acres and a section of the utility lines run through it. I met with the tree crew a couple weeks ago and they need to clear 15' from each side of the lines. All hardwood too. He's leaving it all for me.
Welcome to AS WW.
I replied to the thread you started on what saw to buy.
Hope you get what you need.
Looking forward to seeing your pictures of cutting here.
Brett

A full service dealer gets chain in 100' rolls and will make any length you want. Or they can order a loop for you, if it is not a style that they normally stock.

Most of those bars run 56DL in 3/8 low profile. ECHO branded bars usually require 57DL, just so that you go back to the ECHO dealer for replacements. Not sure about .325.

Philbert
If I like the way it cuts I'll go to something in the ko95 pattern as it should allow me to use 56 DL chains. I used the poulan bar cause I had it. The 3400 and 590 will swap bars so figured the 2300 bar might work on the 490 and it did.

Well now I have a reason to try and get my old lawn tractor up and running. Somehow I never thought of using it to pull wood around. I wonder if I could somehow disconnect the cutting deck and use the shaft to power something more useful...
Go for it. I used the mower last year because there was a tree blocking the path I use. I used my tahoe the other day to haul a load out but to me the mower is more fun. The wood is right behind my house. Good luck.

Full Chisel (Stihl RS) converts to square just as easily as starting with square. Just do the corners first, and every time you sharpen it more of the tooth will be converted.
Or if that seems too daunting it can be sent to someone with a silvery to convert it to square and then can be touched up with a file as needed.

Story time...

I posted about a week ago about a locked up nose sprocket on my 445/550 bar. Happened on the 550. The replacement bar the dealer gave me went on the 445 because I bought an oregon pro lite and put that on the 550. 2 tanks on the 445 and the sprocket on the new bar locked up. Thats 2 in a week. Took the bars back today. They swapped me for 2 more pro lites. Then bought 6 chains for the 445/550, 2 chains for the t540, two 20" and two 32" chains for the 395. So now I have 3 brand new 16" Oregon Pro-Lite bars, a total of four 12" t540 chains, eight 16" chains for the 445/550, four 20" and four 32" chains for the 395. With ONE 325 file and ONE 3/8" file. *DOH*!!!!

Attachments

• 20180209_193312.jpg
    20180209_193312.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
  • 20180209_192303.jpg
    20180209_192303.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
Story time...

I posted about a week ago about a locked up nose sprocket on my 445/550 bar. Happened on the 550. The replacement bar the dealer gave me went on the 445 because I bought an oregon pro lite and put that on the 550. 2 tanks on the 445 and the sprocket on the new bar locked up. Thats 2 in a week. Took the bars back today. They swapped me for 2 more pro lites. Then bought 6 chains for the 445/550, 2 chains for the t540, two 20" and two 32" chains for the 395. So now I have 3 brand new 16" Oregon Pro-Lite bars, a total of four 12" t540 chains, eight 16" chains for the 445/550, four 20" and four 32" chains for the 395. With ONE 325 file and ONE 3/8" file. *DOH*!!!!

Congratulations, you have CAD. [emoji47]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back