Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thread chaser? Or they really mashed?
Just the first couple of threads, I can fix it, just dont want to. this saw is like a bad plague.. Everytime I start to work on it, I find something else that needs fixing.

Matt, I know I can open the case up 2 mm and make it work, but I hate the chokes on those older 50's. I am just going to do a cheap ring job and send it down the road. I can make my flywheel work without the keyway, but 55 part saws are usually pretty cheap. I'll let it sit while I look around for something cheap.

Elm burns decent. I will get an enormous red oak from the same place. Sort of payment for helping clear the fence line.

We have 2 large hairy to take down (small shed they grew next to) box elders left to do. Then I will post a pic of the pile of boxies we saved for the furnace in their shop.

Burns fast but doesn't matter there.

Elm doesn't have the BTU's that oak does, but it's the burn characteristic that I like about it. It just seems to coal up faster, and the coals will last longer than oak. Burning some as we speak, er, type.

Well now you've got me curious about the lawsuit. And I'm imagining your neighbor waking up one morning and noticing all his trees are gone while your firewood piles have substantially grown!

The lawsuit is against the owner of one of the neighboring properties for trying to restrict access to part of the wood without having any title to it.

The weather still sucks so I played with the 3/8 lp 490 idea a little more. Fired up the scale and got some weights.
First up 490 PH one of the lightest 50cc saws available.IMG_20180211_112640.jpgNext 16" 3/8 lp bar and chain.IMG_20180211_112430.jpgAnd last 16" .325 bar and chain.IMG_20180211_112201.jpgIts only 5-6 ounces difference between the two bar and chain combos. Mounted to the saw it feels like alot more. This weather needs to change before I decide to pick up a 3/8 50 bar and do a full blown test with all 3 sizes.

You people weigh your chainsaws? :eek:
I just happened to have a scale and a saw so why not. People maid a big deal about the 261v2 being 10.8 pounds 490-501 where there for a few years already. Or the 462 that doesn't have any better specs the a 15 year old Dolmar :laughing:.

I didn't pay a lot of attention to your earlier posts about the conversion. What was the reason again?
Bored the weather sucks, nothing to cut here. I read threw the thread about converting a 241 to 18" .325 and that got the ball rolling.

You people weigh your chainsaws? :eek:
Of course not, you just match the bar to the wood, 36", 25", 20", or 16". Then you decide what color scheme you are going for that day, Homelite red or Homelite blue, Stihl orange, Mac yellow. I've got more things to worry about than how much a chain weighs, like if my truck can pull the weight of all the saws I throw in the back, Joe. :)

Back