Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here either. Decided to be Ohio again instead of Wisconsin. Or Eastconsin. Been just at or above feezin and rain. "The Pile" is in the middle of a mudpit. However, that dude said he was gonna drag some wood up to the entrance so I could get to it on nasty days. Good and bad. Accessable. But even more mud on the logs. I'm gonna be a filin fool by the time I get done with this pile. I havent been up there in a couple days. Wonder if he moved any.
It would be great if he had a thumb to grab some and carry it without dragging it.
Another great tip when cutting muddy wood is be sure not to pull the mud through the cut. Sometimes you can do this just by switching which side your bucking the rounds from, other times I use a bore/plunge cut just below the mud if it's on the top of the log(happens plenty when they are drug or skidded) and then cut up from the bored cut and out the top before cutting through the rest of the log. It takes extra steps and a bit more time, but if it saves my chain for the whole tank on dirty wood it's a trick worth knowing.
This log had a lot of mud on the top, especially the back top, hard to see it on the bark and with the camera angle(the purpose of the video wasn't to illustrate that), but you can see the mud on the end of the log.

I don't think that they have to be exclusive.

Philbert
I don't see a problem with trying to make things safer. The problem is the people making the rules have never left there comfy office. There just trying to make there bosses happy. They don't really care about the guy on the floor running the machine.

You enjoying the 288 these days:chainsaw:.

Not enjoying a husky would be like saying you don't enjoy ice cream or Christmas :) I got it running a little fat but that's easy enough to correct. Wood was pretty soft but like you said it should pull a 24" through there screaming and it does. Gotta get some seat time on a 372 still before I go spending my drinking money.

I don't think that they have to be exclusive.

Philbert
A pity we can't afford both and have instead focused on what I consider to be the wrong one. Without looking it up, take a guess how many forestry deaths here last year and how many were avoidable if only workers had worn their PPE, installed their roll cages, erected their signage, paid up their public liability insurance, got their chainsaw or other relevant 'tickets' (qualifications), and essentially followed the manuals that focus on the low-hanging fruit.
It's my contention many of them would still be alive if we focussed resources not on empire building safety industry types enforcing PPE, etc, etc, etc but instead spent the time and money building and enforcing an apprenticeship framework.

A pity we can't afford both and have instead focused on what I consider to be the wrong one. Without looking it up, take a guess how many forestry deaths here last year and how many were avoidable if only workers had worn their PPE, installed their roll cages, erected their signage, paid up their public liability insurance, got their chainsaw or other relevant 'tickets' (qualifications), and essentially followed the manuals that focus on the low-hanging fruit.
It's my contention many of them would still be alive if we focussed resources not on empire building safety industry types enforcing PPE, etc, etc, etc but instead spent the time and money building and enforcing an apprenticeship framework.
The worst part (atleast in the U.S.) is the gubmit agencies dont actually give a damn about any logger. Or miner. Or truck driver. Or construction worker. The safety industry generates millions. Thats what they actually care about. If they actually cared about you or me there wouldnt be a desk jockey making the rules.

The worst part (atleast in the U.S.) is the gubmit agencies dont actually give a damn about any logger. Or miner. Or truck driver. Or construction worker. The safety industry generates millions. Thats what they actually care about. If they actually cared about you or me there wouldnt be a desk jockey making the rules.
********. Pure ********.

I've worked in safety at a professional level for over 30 years. I have worked with people in government, industry, insurance, trade unions, on shop floors, etc., in more types of workplaces than you can count.

You have no idea what the **** you are talking about.

Philbert

********. Pure ********.

I've worked in safety at a professional level for over 30 years. I have worked with people in government, industry, insurance, trade unions, on shop floors, etc., in more types of workplaces than you can count.

You have no idea what the **** you are talking about.

Philbert
You may be one of the few. Thanks for genuinely caring :).
I think most who get into that type of work get in with good intentions, but those intentions go out the window when they get in the real world and need to pay their bills and are influenced by the outside powers that be.
I've been pulled over so many times and heard the ramblings of the safety police "we just care about your safety as well as the publics safety", then they let me leave with a blatant safety violation an a ticket. If you cared so much about me and everyone else why are you letting me leave, I would have respected both the position and their judgement/what they were saying if they would have shut my truck down and said you will have it fixed before it leaves.
I've worked in many types of jobs/sites/plant blah blah blah and seen "safety" through legalism and it typically make a worker no more safe than experience.
You can post the stats, I understand very well how they work. The last J O B I had was at a fortune 250 company who has over 11k employees world wide and a "very good" safety record on paper. We had cameras on every truck; back up and back up beepers), side cameras. If you had an accident on the clock and you were on my crew with 3 other guys we would do everything we could to get you back to the shop and punched out(even before the job was done) so it was not a loss time incident. Why did we do this, because if we didn't we would all loose our quarterly safety bonus(which also meant you automatically lost your annual safety bonus :rare2:), that's right everyone on the crew whether you did or didn't have any part and even if it was unavoidable by you(sorry, guess you were in the wrong place at the wrong time:buttkick:). Oh and lets be clear the boss wouldn't question it when you drove an hr out of the way to get the guy punched out so he could go to the med center, and would not go into what happened as his safety record would be effected by it. We also had our monthly safety meetings per the company, those did a lot of good not.
I can go on and on about it, including guys who were killed on the job, why cause they didn't follow the rules, no because of money.

That being said their was one thing I originally had a hard thing with at this company that I grew to appreciate, they had a no backing without a spotter policy. I had an issue with it because I was prideful, what can't I back a truck and a pup trailer, why did you hire me if you don't trust me :eek:. But I realize that backing accidents are a huge portion of trucking accidents, and one thing we had was a guy in the truck who could guide you back(on the road I didn't have that). It took me a while to get used to it, and also took me a while to get the guys used to it, but I figure their getting paid so they can get their butts out of the truck and spot me just in case. It was an automatic termination if you were caught backing without a spotter ordering a full walk around before backing.

Much of the rules and regs won't stop accidents as employers don't train on them, but only have manuals that they don't even make the employee read, but only sign a release saying they read it to cover their butts from a lawsuit:cool:.
Most truck drivers carry the book, whatever it's called, I was tested on it 25yrs ago, but couldn't tell you what the heck is in it today. I'll be back, I'm going to go read it real quick so I can be safer :reading:. Heck the DOT officers don't even know those books and they are the ones "policing", this is why they have their pet tickets, cause it's easy to write them up. More regulation hasn't made the trucking industry safer. I've said many times we don't need more rules we need more officers to enforce the rules we already have or the rules are worthless, that and to train people of the intent behind the laws.

I can go on and on, but folks want to talk about deer hunting and guns, that was funny :laugh:.

Not enjoying a husky would be like saying you don't enjoy ice cream or Christmas :) I got it running a little fat but that's easy enough to correct. Wood was pretty soft but like you said it should pull a 24" through there screaming and it does. Gotta get some seat time on a 372 still before I go spending my drinking money.
If you need to get rid of it, you know who to call :sweet:.

You may be one of the few. Thanks for genuinely caring.
Jerks in every line of work. I have worked with a lot of knowledgable, dedicated people. Also seen my share of employers and employees 'cutting corners'.
Using a broad brush to cover everyone doesn't help anyone.

Philbert

Here in Canada health and safety is very serious. 30 years ago when I was staring out in the industry, I learned from the old guys and did all kinds of sketchy stuff because I didn’t know any better. Such as riding on a swing on a boom truck so I could weld something 40’ up.
Now as a certified joint health and safety rep, I oversee training and mentoring young guys. There are several courses we do; forklifts, zoomboom/scissor lift, overhead crane, confined space, working at heights and fall arrest. Also during morning chats we bring up various safety items. This builds a culture and we are starting to see the young guys remind the older guys when they are doing something unsafe. I have seen some gnarly stuff in my day and personally I stand behind the safety culture.

Back