Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My oil furnace has been broken for 5 years , no worky .
My wood furnace has been as dependable as a brick , works as it should .
Throw scrounged wood in , heat comes out :)
so sorry to say my stove must be broke! it heats me all winter long if I am home or away! but my stove must be broken!! it will not keep me cool in the warmer and hotter non winter month's no matter how much wood I fill it with!! so sorry to say "MY STOVE IS BROKEN" ????!! DANCAN,S must be working!! lol

Pffft , Oak , Shmoak ...

I was in the woodshed last Saturday getting wood to refill the woodrack by the house , since I knew that the temps are on the rise I threw the rounds of oak and rock maple that I had gotten from a 2014 scrounge off to the side for next years burning season .

wodx08590HLJZDg4F_tuJb6IqS3P06srHRvgpZ5G1svz6jOvVrUBXCuSHgiIcHjObwcVHu_MtiPFEjE7kKwV7WfNxD5LEG8UeubTN2nsIlygAL8L9kiRUfaW1mqyuFYS2zskrMHKbj6wR1AYDGO_OoNSF98Ukzoyp_rcrow0zKSvmLtbj-l_FvJ4WpIaS9Z1ddmgt09wXr-ECCHyaumCxVDu1Kix7d0kUjeUpDx21X5YP38rhlqvM2K1sG1fS4kd3ZMJIRUYUC99_sZj2WvQvIOvnKjbDXsG55JxFUlnhof4tsDZp4APwLjTxEdywnxCcxD28gJ77aqTAcVt908tll_TEM5SoeIABecLzeAL4IiZ2cRsjbgpSzpa5StyjdFIwiTIiLIkZYlpAGyodyzsmKCR5Wl46qDNcNJI-pSWMU4e9_qXK-KxBS2KsVVpShxpcqXO_Igh-sn62LI6zmYvP2N0yDrfiai0f1xTk4969Z-bCBAkcC2VwhGfAS7hrMgOcpw8-smvQetI-Cwzgsqh1GUo3u4PV8xN0BxT3N8qEdDeY8aQI_oaZbANVAoyl_ADIR8DJWnh2Jd7qtK9vJ_t698_K1q2g85mlhpRxQ4=w1248-h937-no

Not big maple or oak but ,,, :)

My furnace doesn't have the AC option , that would be the only reason I'd get a heat pump lol
Some of my shop customers are not singing the praise of the heat pump this year , while we may not have snow on the ground , the temps are still cold and it's been an extra windy winter .

Keep on buyin , we need the money lol
We only have Eastern white cedar on this side , rare in my province but it grows like weeds in NewBrunswick 4 hours away .
Do you guys also make Vaseline? A complimentary tub of that with every WRC purchase would at least dull the pain a little. I passed the cost onto customer and was very grateful I could keep the offcuts, which I have already laminated into two blanks for paddles. No way I could justify the cost of a cedar paddle otherwise.

paddleBlanks.jpg

Jerks in every line of work. I have worked with a lot of knowledgable, dedicated people. Also seen my share of employers and employees 'cutting corners'.
Using a broad brush to cover everyone doesn't help anyone.

Philbert
Your right,
From this side you don't have much opportunity to see very many who have gone into it for the right reasons and have stuck with it.
In general I find there are few people who genuinely want to be at their jobs, when you take that into account my brush gets pretty wide too :(.

Here in Canada health and safety is very serious. 30 years ago when I was staring out in the industry, I learned from the old guys and did all kinds of sketchy stuff because I didn’t know any better. Such as riding on a swing on a boom truck so I could weld something 40’ up.
Now as a certified joint health and safety rep, I oversee training and mentoring young guys. There are several courses we do; forklifts, zoomboom/scissor lift, overhead crane, confined space, working at heights and fall arrest. Also during morning chats we bring up various safety items. This builds a culture and we are starting to see the young guys remind the older guys when they are doing something unsafe. I have seen some gnarly stuff in my day and personally I stand behind the safety culture.
Training and safety are always good, and should be dished out in equal parts.
I believe things are different on your side of that big pond.
Whoops, I dropped my safety glasses lol.
I don't have this much experience yet :eek:.
Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 10.17.42 PM.png

Here in Canada health and safety is very serious.
Here in the US, OSHA can fine employers for regulatory violations;
In Canada (or just Ontario?) employees can also get fined for violating health and safety regs, as I understand it?

The OSHA regulations allow for employees to be cited, but that section is not enforced, based on the presumption that the employer has control over the worksite.

"(a) Each employer --
(1) shall furnish to each of his employees employment and a place of employment which are free from recognized hazards that are causing or are likely to cause death or serious physical harm to his employees;
(2) shall comply with occupational safety and health standards promulgated under this Act.
(b) Each employee shall comply with occupational safety and health standards and all rules, regulations, and orders issued pursuant to this Act which are applicable to his own actions and conduct."
OSHA General Duty Clause 29 USC 654 Section 5

Philbert

In Canada (or just Ontario?) employees can also get fined for violating health and safety regs, as I understand it?

The OSHA regulations allow for employees to be cited, but that section is not enforced, based on the presumption that the employer has control over the worksite.

"(a) Each employer --
(1) shall furnish to each of his employees employment and a place of employment which are free from recognized hazards that are causing or are likely to cause death or serious physical harm to his employees;
(2) shall comply with occupational safety and health standards promulgated under this Act.
(b) Each employee shall comply with occupational safety and health standards and all rules, regulations, and orders issued pursuant to this Act which are applicable to his own actions and conduct."

Philbert
The reason that Canada is better at it is it cost the country since they pay for the individuals health care anyway.

"(a) Each employer --

Philbert

@KiwiBro , I'm looking forward to seeing how those paddles come out.

Of all the derails I have read over the past 1411 pages, I must say that workplace safety is the least interesting I have read. This thread is meant to be about maple syrup, deer hunting, whiskey, fishing and guns. And now kayak paddles. Can we talk about something else, maybe even scrounging?

well-that-escalated-quickly-quick-meme-com-19310781.png

Cowboy, will do. They are a bit like chainsaws - there's always an excuse to try a slightly different one. I'm still in the experimental stage working out what suits me best but one thing I know for sure is that I'll never go back to a regular/euro paddle now I've found Greenland paddles.

Back