Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes...accept wire Ash, oh and brick ash (some of the tree was wire barbed and chicken, some brick, some was even washing line) destroyer of chain sharpness.
I understand cant use the saw if its packed full of metal. My brother had a tree taken down in his yard awhile back. Some one had filled it with concrete. Tree guy wasn't happy when he found that with the saw.

Uhh I seen a tree that I will be getting grown with hog wire in it. Am hoping to get high enough to miss it. On second thought maybe a pass on that's a better plan.

Get a buddy with a metal detector to show where the panel stops and just stay above it.

The stringiness I've seen on some of the elm that you blokes cut is completely foreign to me and I can see how it just doesn't give up and you need to keep chopping and fighting it all the way. The difficulty splitting many of our eucalypts here is the hardness as well as the interlocking of the grain but not the stringiness. Blue gum is splittable when green if you work your way around the rings (no way you can split it across) even if it takes half a dozen hits to open up a crack but when it is dry - forget it. It has the greatest differential of the eucalypts in terms of its hardness when dry as opposed to green, it's nearly twice as hard when dry.

Actually, one of the most difficult species I've tried to split was a variant of cedar (don't know what sort but it was a good sized tree and it was green). The wavy grained wood would just absorb every hit. It was a bit easier once it had dried out a bit but jeez, that was a pain.

Uhh I seen a tree that I will be getting grown with hog wire in it. Am hoping to get high enough to miss it. On second thought maybe a pass on that's a better plan.

Cuting a black locust in a fence row. Saw the 'wire scars' for a 3 wire fence. Moved up 6 inches and hit something else, possibly a bullet but it sounded a lot harder. Never did find out what it was after I had processed the wood.

Nothing wrong with pine , very low ash content and it also will make great kindling.
people here have such a "shouldn't burn pine" mindset. not sure why. i always tell buyers what wood is in the mix i'm selling and they say sounds good as long as there's no pine.:crazy2: i tell them it's a good thing they don't live in Canada 'cause that's all they would get.:laugh:

Back