Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh wait. I lied. There was a shipping crate at work next to the dumpsters that has been laying there for months. I didn't really pay any attention to it because I am trying to burn off all the junk pallet wood I have. A couple weeks ago I was out there and noticed that the whole pallet and sides were oak. Weather was good yesterday so I strapped it to the truck and drug it up to the shop. No saws. So I grabbed a battery powered jigsaw out of the shop. I went through 3 batteries cutting that up. Does that count?

First posted scrounging. This is where the city dumps cut trees so residents can cut what they want. Wasn't too much when I got there but next Saturday there should be more. First photo is the log I cut from. The second is the truck loaded and the third is an additional chunk I cut in half to be able to lift it. I'm pretty sure the first is oak but not sure of the variety. If anyone knows what other species is that would be great.IMG_0118.JPG IMG_0120.JPG IMG_0121.JPG

First posted scrounging. This is where the city dumps cut trees so residents can cut what they want. Wasn't too much when I got there but next Saturday there should be more. First photo is the log I cut from. The second is the truck loaded and the third is an additional chunk I cut in half to be able to lift it. I'm pretty sure the first is oak but not sure of the variety. If anyone knows what other species is that would be great.View attachment 640550 View attachment 640551 View attachment 640552
They used to do that in towns in NJ (township wood dump, scroungers delight) but they shut it down 20+ years ago. Liability......

First posted scrounging. This is where the city dumps cut trees so residents can cut what they want. Wasn't too much when I got there but next Saturday there should be more. First photo is the log I cut from. The second is the truck loaded and the third is an additional chunk I cut in half to be able to lift it. I'm pretty sure the first is oak but not sure of the variety. If anyone knows what other species is that would be great.View attachment 640550 View attachment 640551 View attachment 640552
Nice scrounge, and really nice little 55 :sweet:.
I like to here that there are still places allowing this, enjoy it while you can :yes::happy:. It really upsets me all the tree hugging folks that whine and cry about the environment/fracking/global warming, meanwhile many of the same people are the ones who won't let you scrounge on their property(with permission of course) and are in places of office that make rules against guys utilizing the resources such as this, then allow it to create the same amount of carbon. Okay rant over.

Welcome to Jeffrey :hi:.

Nice scrounge, and really nice little 55 :sweet:.
I like to here that there are still places allowing this, enjoy it while you can :yes::happy:. It really upsets me all the tree hugging folks that whine and cry about the environment/fracking/global warming, meanwhile many of the same people are the ones who won't let you scrounge on their property(with permission of course) and are in places of office that make rules against guys utilizing the resources such as this, then allow it to create the same amount of carbon. Okay rant over.

Welcome to Jeffrey :hi:.

Thanks. I found the saw brand new at Lowe's on the clearance rack for $100. It needed the clutch/brake cover, a few bolts and one of the dogs. Another $80 and I had a brand new saw.

Thanks. I found the saw brand new at Lowe's on the clearance rack for $100. It needed the clutch/brake cover, a few bolts and one of the dogs. Another $80 and I had a brand new saw.
That's great :numberone:.
I search high and low for those kind of deals, every now and then I find one.
They are great saws.

rarefish383, I go to tons of sales and this Chinese junk is getting sold at most of them. Chippers, work benches, metal gates, skid steer blades, wood splitters, fabric buildings, jack hammers, you name it they are making the rounds of the sales. I buy them when they are cheap and sell them reasonable to turn a few dollars. I have a ton of poplar trees in my yard and they are always losing branches so I try to keep at least one wood chipper around. Auction season is just getting started here so I'm getting keen. The big farm equipment auctions start in 2 weeks and I "need" a couple more big saws. Was in the bush last weekend and my 460 thought it would flood itself and make me use my 260 to cut a bunch of logs to length. I'll get another one and make that one hang in the barn until it learns some respect.

Welcome aboard !
BTW , that's not spruce .

rarefish383, I go to tons of sales and this Chinese junk is getting sold at most of them. Chippers, work benches, metal gates, skid steer blades, wood splitters, fabric buildings, jack hammers, you name it they are making the rounds of the sales. I buy them when they are cheap and sell them reasonable to turn a few dollars. I have a ton of poplar trees in my yard and they are always losing branches so I try to keep at least one wood chipper around. Auction season is just getting started here so I'm getting keen. The big farm equipment auctions start in 2 weeks and I "need" a couple more big saws. Was in the bush last weekend and my 460 thought it would flood itself and make me use my 260 to cut a bunch of logs to length. I'll get another one and make that one hang in the barn until it learns some respect.
I hear ya. Our local county fair grounds has an auction company that puts on a small auction every Tuesday from 2 in the after noon till done. May 3 barns. It has two big sales, March, and October. Years ago I passed on a 3 point chipper because I didn't have a tractor at the time. Since then I've had the Ford and now the Massey and they haven't had a 3 point chipper since.

got a call yesterday from the guy that i got the walnut scrounge from the other week. he had a dead ash blow down. come and get it.:happybanana:20180318_154806.jpg till we were done an ash leaner and another dead ash in his woods path were down and loaded. only got a pic of the one load because my phone died. used his little john deere tractor to haul it out and after my truck was full we filled his and he hauled it to my place. can't beat that.

Latest posts

Back