Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got a call yesterday from the guy that i got the walnut scrounge from the other week. he had a dead ash blow down. come and get it.:happybanana:View attachment 640602 till we were done an ash leaner and another dead ash in his woods path were down and loaded. only got a pic of the one load because my phone died. used his little john deere tractor to haul it out and after my truck was full we filled his and he hauled it to my place. can't beat that.
Just in the nick of time, I love it when a plan comes together :rock:.
Now it's time to get :chop:and fill those bins :happy:.

Even made a Zoggerwood pile lol

YL5q1as.jpg
Now that zogger is too busy show-boating with the political elite to bother with us deplorables it's nice to see the stacks of zogger wood piling up somewhere. Anywhere.

Cedar, Cyprus, Douglas Fir, many Eucs, and quite a few natives, off the top of my head.

*ETA* We've got a few native Beeches too.

But the go-to plantation evergreen is Pinus Radiata ('Monterey' in USA I think). Pockets of plantation Fir/Cedar/Beech/Euc, but nothing like the great swathes of Radiata.

First posted scrounging. This is where the city dumps cut trees so residents can cut what they want. Wasn't too much when I got there but next Saturday there should be more. First photo is the log I cut from. The second is the truck loaded and the third is an additional chunk I cut in half to be able to lift it. I'm pretty sure the first is oak but not sure of the variety. If anyone knows what other species is that would be great.View attachment 640550 View attachment 640551 View attachment 640552

Howdy Jeffrey, and welcome. What you have there sure looks like hard maple to me. Very dense and heavy.

Dang, that is a big ash :surprised3:.
Looks like a nice score there, better get on it.
Hope he took it off wherever it was listed.

He told me he wouldn’t give the address to anyone else till I was done. I told him I’d take it all, but every other day, because I need the off days to unload.

First real day of cutting. One big ratty old willow hit the ground about 5 minutes after I arrived. 90% brush and only will make about 1 load of rounds.

4 hours of using the top handle Echo CS303 cutting brush down to handling size and piling it. Did fire up the Stihl MS362 (new saw, first use) a couple of times to chunk a few larger limbs. Got the tree 95% brushed and ready for demoltion. Gonna be interesting, butt end is propped on about a 6' hi stump and stretches across a deep ditch. Stuff across the ditch will work up easy but then will come blocking down the leaning log. I may just leave it there.

Problems.

1. Stupidity. I have developed a bad habit of only taking a few steps back as a tree falls - no more. First time ever that I had a tree come back over the stump at me. It jumped back about 10ft when it hit the ground. Fortunatly it became locked on top of the stump or would have landed on me.

2. Stupidity 2. ran over the MS441. Fortunately only caught the handle for no damage that is noticeable but the bar left some "interesting' scratches on the car. That's what happens when one is careful to place it where the car can't hit it but then forget and move the car after and hour or two.

First real day of cutting. One big ratty old willow hit the ground about 5 minutes after I arrived. 90% brush and only will make about 1 load of rounds.

4 hours of using the top handle Echo CS303 cutting brush down to handling size and piling it. Did fire up the Stihl MS362 (new saw, first use) a couple of times to chunk a few larger limbs. Got the tree 95% brushed and ready for demoltion. Gonna be interesting, butt end is propped on about a 6' hi stump and stretches across a deep ditch. Stuff across the ditch will work up easy but then will come blocking down the leaning log. I may just leave it there.

Problems.

1. Stupidity. I have developed a bad habit of only taking a few steps back as a tree falls - no more. First time ever that I had a tree come back over the stump at me. It jumped back about 10ft when it hit the ground. Fortunatly it became locked on top of the stump or would have landed on me.

2. Stupidity 2. ran over the MS441. Fortunately only caught the handle for no damage that is noticeable but the bar left some "interesting' scratches on the car. That's what happens when one is careful to place it where the car can't hit it but then forget and move the car after and hour or two.
keep safe out there

rarefish283, I try to leave the non running looking ones alone. This box is at another online auction. Not even going to look close at it, whole lotta work in there. Says concrete and wood saws.
View attachment 640636
I see a Honda GX engine (GX200? GX270?) in there. Snapped conrod? It looks to have been already stripped of anything remotely useful. The rest looks like a mixture of smaller pro-grade Stihl's. Far more interesting if rightly priced.
My Stihl dealer would bid for that: last time I was a round they had just landed a crate full of dead 026's and MS260's. The fun of taking those things apart after years of sitting under a thick layer of solified sawdust, sap, resin and plain old grime and dirt.

Problems.

@James Miller. are you taking notes.:rolleyes: :laugh:

rarefish283, I try to leave the non running looking ones alone. This box is at another online auction. Not even going to look close at it, whole lotta work in there. Says concrete and wood saws.
View attachment 640636
I don't build saws so I only go for runners too. Mainly big Homelites. I only collect saws over 70CC's. If I see a small saw that my Dad had when he was in business I grab it. I'd like to find a minty Super EZ and a minty Poulan XXV, but not enough to pay real money for one. Eventually one will show up at a sale, Joe.

Latest posts

Back