Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No scrounging but got to put my wood cutting skills to the test. We had some tornadoes last night and work let me help clean up today. No pics cause those people were already going through enough but the cs-590 got to go through probably 10 tanks on 2 3+ feet across red oaks. Was able to get everything but the biggest parts of the trees in a few hours. Chains were getting dull, I ran out of gas in the chainsaw and myself too. They have someone coming with some big saws tomorrow they said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
good for you to be helping out.

No scrounging but got to put my wood cutting skills to the test. We had some tornadoes last night and work let me help clean up today. No pics cause those people were already going through enough but the cs-590 got to go through probably 10 tanks on 2 3+ feet across red oaks. Was able to get everything but the biggest parts of the trees in a few hours. Chains were getting dull, I ran out of gas in the chainsaw and myself too. They have someone coming with some big saws tomorrow they said

Stay safe and be careful , study what you're going to cut , there can be a lot of energy stored up in twisted wood .

Stay safe and be careful , study what you're going to cut , there can be a lot of energy stored up in twisted wood .

Yeah definitely wasn’t the best firewood cuts, but I just slowly kinda shaved some pieces to see where the pressure was before I made big cuts. Some of the limbs were like 8 foot up and 20+ inches across. Those were fun cuts.

After supper tonight, two of my boys decided they wanted to split wood. Wasn’t my idea, I was wanting to do something else but wasn’t about to waste that opportunity! Two of us ran the splitter and the youngest who recently got interested in fitness, grabbed the axe. I didn’t take pics we just worked till dark and the split pile is looking good.

I always hated having to put my old F350 crew cab diesel in 4wd, it would spin just looking at snow.
But it did great if you hit the button though.
I'll just turn the hubs in when I clean it off to leave for work and leave it in 2wd. I don' use 4wd if it will go in 2wd. It's got a rebuilt lsd in the rear with extra plates so it' a bit more aggressive. I learned to drive in the snow in Foxbody mustangs so sliding around a little doesn' bother me.

I'll just turn the hubs in when I clean it off to leave for work and leave it in 2wd. I don' use 4wd if it will go in 2wd. It's got a rebuilt lsd in the rear with extra plates so it' a bit more aggressive. I learned to drive in the snow in Foxbody mustangs so sliding around a little doesn' bother me.
I enjoy driving in the snow myself, that big ole tank just wouldn't move in 2wd. I was considering having a piece of 5/8 or 3/4" plate cut for the box to get a little traction. Another thought was to post something under the box or get a real heavy duty bumper made for it. I wish I could find one like it in the same condition for what I sold that one for :innocent: @Logger nate :lol:.

Took the 445, 540, 395 and the poulan 3314 to the dealer yesterday for some tuning. Been using the saws so much lately I havent had time but the weather went to crap so I figured I would use the time wisely. The 445 and the 395 just needed post-break-in tuning. The 540 was starting hard the last time I used it and the poulan just needed a tune after I did the MM. Now the poulan should be ready to sell, with a HSC and 3 chains and the others should be good. They said they couldnt find an issue with the 540. Maybe it was just me.

Wait a minute... I am here flirting with breaking into people's yards to steal trees reagrdless of what they are because this year windfall has so far been miserable and you people debate calories charts (1 BTU = 0.25 kcal if I remember correctly)?
You are on the wrong part of the planet. Come to Ohio. I cant cut fast enough.

Had to take a break from Tax Prep and move some furniture from my former MIL's condo yesterday, and yea, I strained my back.

Don't want to admit that it is bad, but I had to lay on my back this morning to put my socks on and tie my sneakers!

I guess it didn't help that I did not stop when it happened, we had another large piece still on the truck, so I had to keep going.

Kinda paying for it now, hope I'm OK in a few days. Sucks feeling like I'm 95!!!

Had to take a break from Tax Prep and move some furniture from my former MIL's condo yesterday, and yea, I strained my back.

Don't want to admit that it is bad, but I had to lay on my back this morning to put my socks on and tie my sneakers!

I guess it didn't help that I did not stop when it happened, we had another large piece still on the truck, so I had to keep going.

Kinda paying for it now, hope I'm OK in a few days. Sucks feeling like I'm 95!!!
Sorry to hear that Mike.
Mine was bothering me from cleaning out a covered trailer I just sold :rare2:.
That was last Thursday, it's much better now, but I'm sure the 500 plus miles I ran this weekend didn't help it at all.
Sometimes pushing thru is what needs to happen and is best, other times it's good to stop right then and there, it's good to be able to know the difference and even better to do what you should. That being said I don't always do what I should :dumb:, but I'm getting better at it :).
Hope you recover quickly.

Wait a minute... I am here flirting with breaking into people's yards to steal trees reagrdless of what they are because this year windfall has so far been miserable and you people debate calories charts (1 BTU = 0.25 kcal if I remember correctly)?
come on over. we got trees to scrounge.

Latest posts

Back