Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been worried that I don’t know a dang thing about tuning so I got me a cheap eBay tach. Well it came in today so I fired up my 590 and it topped out at 12150 or so. I’ve read that most 590s like around 12-12.5k stock/ muffler modded so I’m leaving it there lol pulled the muffler off last night to see how it looked after I muffler modded and tuned and looked to be plenty of oil on there. Piston and cylinder looked like brand new as well. (40:1 vp with 100% gas) Now to decide if I want to permanently mount the tach or just have it to put on there quick when the weather changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Been worried that I don’t know a dang thing about tuning so I got me a cheap eBay tach. Well it came in today so I fired up my 590 and it topped out at 12150 or so. I’ve read that most 590s like around 12-12.5k stock/ muffler modded so I’m leaving it there lol pulled the muffler off last night to see how it looked after I muffler modded and tuned and looked to be plenty of oil on there. Piston and cylinder looked like brand new as well. (40:1 vp with 100% gas) Now to decide if I want to permanently mount the tach or just have it to put on there quick when the weather changes.

I'd like to know what my 590 runs at but no one around has a tech. It's tuned in the cut as being ported the factory numbers are useless but it would be fun to know what rpm my ear says is good.

To quote @nomad_archer "it all burns just throw it in the stove".

I was about to tell him that if he didn't want it I was going to come cut it up, I'm not picky as long as the wood is dry. I'm still at a loss though, doesn't look like any type of elm, oak, definitely not an ash, not locust or hickory maple or anything that I can think of! I'll have to locate one on the property here and pay attention to the leaves.

I'd like to know what my 590 runs at but no one around has a tech. It's tuned in the cut as being ported the factory numbers are useless but it would be fun to know what rpm my ear says is good.

My ear likes to tune things a little rich. When I think I'm hearing 13.5-14 it's really around 12.5, which is good I suppose.

I just got a cheap one on eBay for $10. Doesn’t look to be water proof but I’m just mounting it till it dies so I can get used to how my saw should sound.

I was about to tell him that if he didn't want it I was going to come cut it up, I'm not picky as long as the wood is dry. I'm still at a loss though, doesn't look like any type of elm, oak, definitely not an ash, not locust or hickory maple or anything that I can think of! I'll have to locate one on the property here and pay attention to the leaves.
bark kinda looked like mulberry. mayybe osage orange. where you at?

That's what I told the guy, he asked me and I honestly don't know. I've got a few trees like that around here but unless it's dead I don't worry about it. Bur Oak are the only living trees I really cut for firewood because they're overgrown here.

Just go and cut it. Unless you're @woodchip rookie , the wood won't scrounge itself. One tree won't make a difference to anyone either way.

Be a big ass mulberry, I've got one right over our chicken coop around 1' diameter. I thought osage orange at first too but I've never seen any up here, NW Iowa, 3 counties over, right on the line 2 counties down.
The tree that brought me to AS was a monster mulberry easily 2' or better at the stump. 20" bar would barely get threw the two main spare ware it split.

My ear likes to tune things a little rich. When I think I'm hearing 13.5-14 it's really around 12.5, which is good I suppose.
A little rich is safe. I leaned my 590 out be or the cant races at the GTG and watching the video it doesn't 4 stroke at all. Didn' hurt anything but never again. All my saws are tuned in the cut. I watched Brad and Andyshines videos on tuning and picked up a CL poulan 5020 to learn with in case I melted it down in the process.

A little rich is safe. I leaned my 590 out be or the cant races at the GTG and watching the video it doesn't 4 stroke at all. Didn' hurt anything but never again. All my saws are tuned in the cut. I watched Brad and Andyshines videos on tuning and picked up a CL poulan 5020 to learn with in case I melted it down in the process.

I kinda hope you get one just to see how my slightly MM one holds the rpms compared to yours in the cut.

Just go and cut it. Unless you're @woodchip rookie , the wood won't scrounge itself. One tree won't make a difference to anyone either way.
Hey now, I have posted pics of the monster oak I had to haul. The carcass is still laying over there. I get there every chance I get. I thought that little skidding driveway across the street was going to allow me to skid some trees out over to my backyard but when I got home from work the brush crew beat me to it. They stacked all those trees in a pile bigger than my house. And I cant get to it. I'm so bummed.

The tree that brought me to AS was a monster mulberry easily 2' or better at the stump. 20" bar would barely get threw the two main spare ware it split.

It could be, I've just never seen one that big but I looked at the trunk on the one by the coop earlier and it could be, the buds still throw me off though.

Back