Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was out on another property today with a mate and we cut around 3-4ton I guess, well seasoned stringy by the looks of it, should burn well and we left 1 tree on the ground cut and split ready for next time we are out there. We had to drag most of the logs out of the blackberries which took some doing and many chains to get it done.

3anPEyCh.jpg

VzFBreGh.jpg

W7qgSe1h.jpg

pOEQLYZh.jpg

0gSOaCRh.jpg

omY0iOIh.jpg

wYD2QVeh.jpg

8xEmjUXh.jpg

YP6WKkSh.jpg

Great pics BFS. That looks like hard country up there, glad you didn't hit any with your chain ;). Looks like you can take that wood straight inside and stack it in the wood box next to your heater, and you might want to with the serious front on its way. We're looking at maybe a couple of feet of snow on the hills here, might even have enough to go for a ski on Saturday! Unusual for May.

Great pics BFS. That looks like hard country up there, glad you didn't hit any with your chain ;). Looks like you can take that wood straight inside and stack it in the wood box next to your heater, and you might want to with the serious front on its way. We're looking at maybe a couple of feet of snow on the hills here, might even have enough to go for a ski on Saturday! Unusual for May.

Cheers Cowboy, yeah this part of the country is doing it tough at the moment, hopefully the rain and snow forecast for here will actually happen (fingers and toes are crossed by all around here) it's been quite a few years since it was this dry but it does happen from time to time, soon enough the rain will come and balance will be restored but for now we just have to hang on.

We often get a few snow falls in April but none this year and it sounds like Friday and possibly Saturday for snow and I think Thursday is forecast for rain.

Sounds like the Alpine region is going to get a heap of snow (60cm) has been mentioned, hopefully it happens hey.:bowdown:

One of the advantages of a very small stove.... By the time you've finally bucked all wood to <13" long, and split to<4" thick it doesn't take long to dry. I am still striving for the holy grail, 3 years ahead, though. Currently working on the lette half of 2019/20 wood and hope to be starting on 2020/21 by mid summer but we shall see.

The one tricky wood is Oak which needs at least a full 12 months, maybe more. I'm trying something slightly different currently, having split a load of Oak gathered over the winter I've stacked it against the front, south facing, wall of the house. Or gets a lot of sun and is all checking nicely, so may be ready to burn this winter, we shall see.

If it gets cut and stacked that spruce will be ready in September .
Thats what I am hoping for also. In the middle of a spruce pile now and its going strait into the shed with open ends. Not a drop of rain will be on it once its in there but I didn't make a door at the back of the shed. Just a screened openeng and all my really dry stuff is in the back behind the spruce. If its dry I will be starting next season with nothing but fresh spruce.

I wouldn't mind being able to burn wood that was green and then dry in a Yr! very handy indeed. That stuff I cut up the other day was ringbarked back in the 60's according to my mate, so it's been dead a long long time.:chop:I don't mind burning stringy that's been dead only 4 or 5yrs it tends to burn nicely and last well in the fire.

First load of the year, GREEN, HEAVY, Oak. We got the trailer loaded and did my pre trip inspection, The fenders were just barley touching the tires. I made the side boards so 5 rows to the top is 1 full cord. A cord of dry Oak doesn't even squat the trailer. I'm going to check tomorrow to make sure I don't have a broken leaf spring. We had to throw off the back two rows to get the fenders to come up enough to be road safe.
Chhf6n2.jpg

4WwCMJ8.jpg

eKgN9VH.jpg

tIPVqfJ.jpg

I’m lucky in the respect that I have a great spot to stack wood. Along my back fence which faces east/west so the predominantly west winds blow through. Far enough from the house and no large trees to be in full sun all day. I don’t taro or cover it. When it’s been a dry period later in the summer, I move it under my deck where it’s still exposed to west wind and afternoon sun but covered from the rain.
Two things I have found to be slow drying: pitchy pine and anything noodled. The noodled flats stack too closely for good airflow and I try to mix them with splits.

Back