Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just guessing, but either some kind of air leak (hose or seal) that is worse at certain angles, or sometimes gas lines pinch, and maybe the angle you hold it makes it worse sometimes.

But before checking any of that, I would change the plug, fuel filter and air filter. Always do the simple stuff first! (Also, make sure the plug or decomp are not just a bit loose).

Good luck with it, keep us posted.

Question for all you tuning gurus. My 272xp started acting silly today. Started going down on power, wouldnt rev up. Kept hitting the trigger and it blew the muffler apart. It was a new AM muffler. Anyways, after putting muffler back together and a little mig welding, I dont think it can blow apart again. Cranked the saw and it ran fine, for a few minutes and then again started losing power. It would bog down on a 3in limb. I finally noticed that if the saw as held bar down, such as when limbing, it would barely run, but level the saw up and it will scream. Tried adjusting carb, but it aint helping. Any ideals. The saw has a new piston and ring with about 1 tank ran thru since the build. Looking thru exhaust port, piston is slick and shiney. Compression feels really good, have to use compression release to crank.
Check the tank vent. Run it until it acts up, then open the cap and see if it sucks air.
Why did you have to go thru it in the first place, good to have a little more info for a better chance at a good internet diagnosis lol.

Thanks for that, but the power is out, and they will not turn it back on till they fix it. Plus that wire in the wood was not electric, that was internet.

I did not go near it till the Town came by and knocked it off the wires. They left logs for me to cut, I didn't take the stuff down, I know better.

That said, there is one heck of a mess over there. In one stretch of road there were 8 bucket trucks working with one another, and some were in the same spot yesterday.

I only got to spend about an hour there today because of rain this AM and had an appliance delivery at my house in the late PM. But I will be returning tomorrow. Luckily, they burn wood, and they can use it this year!
Be careful Mike, we'll keep you guys in our prayers, storm damage is nasty stuff.
What storm caused all this damage.

Check the tank vent. Run it until it acts up, then open the cap and see if it sucks air.
Why did you have to go thru it in the first place, good to have a little more info for a better chance at a good internet diagnosis lol.
I got the saw gave to me blown. The cyl cleaned up nice so I put in a new piston and ring. Muffler was missing so bought a aftermarket one. It did get a new fuel line and plug. I think the saw had set in the back of the shop I got it from for a while. Might need a carb kit. I'll check the cap tomorrow. Saw is strong when it runs, but I need it to run in every position, not just bucking level wood.

I start all of my saws with one hand on the trigger and the other on the rope. On the small saws I just drop start them. On the big ones, I rest the tip of the bar on a log. I posted the question on a couple sites, if holding the trigger open makes any difference? Most answers were "NO". But on my 100CC saws if I put my foot in the handle and pull, I can only get about 6 inches of rope out, and it pops back, and rips your fingers off. If you set the tip of the bar on a log and give it half to full throttle it will pull over and start easy. I bought a Super 1050 a couple months ago and it is missing the throttle lock. If you give it half throttle with the trigger it will start easy. If you give it no throttle, it will pop back and rip your fingers off. I've had 4 Super 1050's, including 2 brand new ones, back in the 70's, and they all respond the same way. So, when I bought the Mac 550, 99CC's and it did the same thing, I took it down to the wood pile where I could rest the bar on a log, half throttle, and it cranked and started easy.

I picked up a trick on this forum awhile back. 10" or so of 1x4 board slipped into the handle and stand on the board tames those finger ripping saws.

I picked up a trick on this forum awhile back. 10" or so of 1x4 board slipped into the handle and stand on the board tames those finger ripping saws.
That's kind of my point, if you open the throttle just a little, they don't pop back. I've got 6-7 saws over 90CC's, with no decomp. If you leave the throttle closed you can't pull it with out it popping back. If you put the trigger lock on, or hold the trigger, they pull fine. I used to think that holding the throttle open might let a little compression bleed off. But, as soon as I asked the question, the saw mechanics started telling me there was something wrong with the saw, even if it was pulling a 52" bar with no problem. Finding good mechanics that have run big saws with no decomp is getting hard. They tend to diagnose problems that aren't there, because they have never run one. I need to find out how to post video's. I video'ed 2 Super 1050's and my Mac 550, with the trigger lock on, or the trigger held open, they all crank easy. With the trigger in idle position, you can't pull them over, they just pop back. I grew up on no decomp saws and you were taught to hold the trigger open. The old guys would laugh their butt's off if you tried to start a big saw in idle. So, I just hold the trigger open, and go with the flo. I don't know why it works, but it does.

How did it go? I know a fella who just bought one and he seems happy with it.
Cutting that Red Oak was easy peasy, like a hot knife through butter.
The 291 has lots of power for most logs but when it get's too big I always have the 044 with the 28" bar for all the big stuff.
I'll be putting that set up to use today when cutting the main trunks into log length for milling and for blocking up the rest.
I think I have a good one-two punch with the saws I own.
Now all I have to do is convince the wife that I need a couple "back-up" saws....lol

I got the saw gave to me blown. The cyl cleaned up nice so I put in a new piston and ring. Muffler was missing so bought a aftermarket one. It did get a new fuel line and plug. I think the saw had set in the back of the shop I got it from for a while. Might need a carb kit. I'll check the cap tomorrow. Saw is strong when it runs, but I need it to run in every position, not just bucking level wood.

Does it have an impulse line? If so, check or replace.

Goin back to the clean up in a few.

It was a Thunderstorm on Tue afternoon, resulted in 2 tornados and numerous wind shears in our tiny little County (Putnam in NY).

Lived in this area my whole life, never seen close to this much damage from one storm ever, and it was only a couple of hours.

Tue AM I was planting my garden, beautiful day. Had 2 wakes to go to, my Daughter was supposed to meet me at the second one when she got out of work.

At the second wake, the lights went out, we drove home, and trees/wires down all over the place. My Daughter shows up in my driveway, she could not make it to the funeral home, or her home, she was crying hysterically, and told me she thought her car was going to be blown off of the highway. Said she never experienced anything like it in her life. I ended up driving her home, the 1st route was blocked, the second was like running the gauntlet under leaning telephone poles and low/hanging wires.

Started the cutting at my Daughter's today, the whole neighborhood looks like this!

Numerous houses with trees on them, and tons of damaged power lines + poles. They are still out of power.

Same as Dancan here. I have two buddies that have been lent out and left yesterday. Looks terrible out there.

o_O . Why so few saws?
I was thinking they were someone else since he said it looks that way everywhere out there lol.
It was a Thunderstorm on Tue afternoon, resulted in 2 tornados and numerous wind shears in our tiny little County (Putnam in NY).

Lived in this area my whole life, never seen close to this much damage from one storm ever, and it was only a couple of hours.

Tue AM I was planting my garden, beautiful day. Had 2 wakes to go to, my Daughter was supposed to meet me at the second one when she got out of work.

At the second wake, the lights went out, we drove home, and trees/wires down all over the place. My Daughter show up in my driveway, she could not make it to the funeral home, or her home, she was crying hysterically, and told me she thought here car was going to be blown off of the highway. Said she never experienced anything like it in her life. I ended up driving her home, the 1st route was blocked, the second was like running the gauntlet under leaning telephone poles and low/hanging wires.
Sounds like a mess, glad you guys are alright.

It might, but I'm not thinking that's what it sounds like if it runs great for a bit.
Let us know how it goes.

it was the same day all my stihls went belly up:lol:
LOL.
I was in a hardware store yesterday and had a 661 with a 36 in my hands for a bit, then I set it back on the shelf, I can't do one at that price unless I had a job right down the street and had to have it right then. I'm working on a trade for one if I can make it happen it would be sweet :).
I was surprised this dealer/hardware store had the 241 as well as the 261 in stock as well as a rear handled 193, not many have the 241 in their stores around here.

Back