Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL.
I was in a hardware store yesterday and had a 661 with a 36 in my hands for a bit, then I set it back on the shelf, I can't do one at that price unless I had a job right down the street and had to have it right then. I'm working on a trade for one if I can make it happen it would be sweet :).
I was surprised this dealer/hardware store had the 241 as well as the 261 in stock as well as a rear handled 193, not many have the 241 in their stores around here.
When I bought my 660 I went to the local Southern States that is a Stihl dealer, and he had no 660's or 880's. Said he would have to order it, and he could not discount it, because it was a special order. I checked on line and an Ace Hardware about 20 minutes from me had 2 880's and about half a dozen 660's on the shelf. The 660 with a 36" bar was on sale, when I told him I had cash, he knocked 10 percent off the sale price. Then he gave me the 25" bar half price and threw in the chain, 6 pack of 5 gallon mix and a gallon of bar oil. Guess who gets my business now.

I've been mowing lawns in the rain all week. My 52" Snapper Pro mows the wet grass fine. It sucks all the water out and looks like a fire hose coming out of the discharge chute. One of my lawn customers had 2 big Alberta Spruce that have over grown their space, they are about 12' high. I figured what the heck, I can take out a little ornamental in the rain. I got one down and on the truck and when I wiggled the first branch on the second tree a bird flew out. It was smaller than a Sparrow and had 7 little eggs on the nest. So, my customer said to wait till the chicks are gone. Another half job hanging. Although she did pay me for this half. While we were talking the sun started coming out. I rushed home and got a quick lunch and was heading out the door to mow my neighbor 2 doors down lawn. He only wants it mowed every other week, and I still have a couple days to go, but with all the rain it looks like a hay field. I got as far as checking the gas on the mower and the sky popped again. I really didn't feel like doing it, now I'm not. Just means I'll have to do it tomorrow, and the rain will probably be worse. Such is life when you retire. If I could just quit buying saws and axes and guns and fishing and hunting, I wouldn't have to mow lawns to support all of my 'AD's. Just put any letter in front of AD, and I have that Acquisition Disorder. :)

Does it have an impulse line? If so, check or replace.

Goin back to the clean up in a few.
Found the problem. The antivibe mounts are broke on the gas tank. When you try to pull the saw up thru a cut, the handle would flex enough it was cutting off the throttle. I think there are 4 or 6 of those rubber mounts and I am just going to replace them all since the tank has to come off to replace the one that is broke.

I picked up my 365 was going to do some bucking with it today and there was a big pool of gas all around it. Had to replace the gas cap. Never seen one that leaked like that before, unless it was cracked. And then it rained.

Had to run to town for more chains. Since all of my 50 DL chains are in my storage unit in Florida I had to buy more. Tri-Link at 8.99 each were cheap though so I’ll be back out in the woods after dinner. It’s still 83 here so I’m in no hurry to get moving until it cools down a bit.
I need to get a new chain for my new Super 1050. I forget how many drive links on the 24inch bar. But, it's closer to 8.99 per DL than 8.99 per chain. I might have a new 36 inch chain on the .404 peg. If I do I'll just put the 36 bar on for Leadfarmers GTG.

Went to a friend of mine's house in CT today, about 10 mi from my Daughter, but the same damage all along the way. Must have been single lane traffic about 10 times.

A before and after pic. This site is a pain with what it won't let you post. The 2nd Cherry (no before, but in the after) was partly broken off half way up, trunk leaning and top on the ground.

Really had to put my thinking cap on to get that 2nd broken off Cherry down on the ground, but it went well. Could not leave it, he has 3 young ones.

I get home and there are two more calls from people with downed trees, it is going to be busy!

Attachments

• IMG_20180518_105842623.jpg
    IMG_20180518_105842623.jpg
    8.7 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20180518_130558617.jpg
    IMG_20180518_130558617.jpg
    8.8 MB · Views: 30
I went to an auction and found some treasures. My wife says I have 25 trailers and wagons. I say thank God she can't count when they are stored all over the place. Dump trailer, golf cart tires, SS blade, wagon running gear and a red plywood box for the wagon running gear. I had a sausage too but no pics of it. Loaded up the dump trailer with firewood and run it 90 kmh down the road with no problems.
IMG_20180518_134258.jpg IMG_20180518_104241.jpg IMG_20180518_134250.jpg IMG_20180518_134234.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180518_134252.jpg
    IMG_20180518_134252.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20180518_104241.jpg
    IMG_20180518_104241.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
Busy day. Left the hunting cabin at 6:30 to drop yesterday’s load. Back up at 10:00 and processed another cord. Dropped that off and hit Walmart and the hardware store then back up in time for dinner. Took it easy for a while after dinner because it was still 83 degrees and finally did another cord before dark. It cooled off and started sprinkling as I finished. The gnats are starting to come out so I’m glad I’m only planning to do two more cords this weekend and I’ll be done for a while.

Going on a group ATV ride tomorow. Supposed to rain so I got a set of Frog Togs at walmart. Already have rubber boots and a 3/4 road helmet but wanted to test it all so I borrowed the neighbors trailer and drug the quad down to my uncles farm. I brought extra toys. To test the wind. And the new rangefinder I bought before Christmas.

Attachments

• 20180518_185417.jpg
    20180518_185417.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • 20180518_185425.jpg
    20180518_185425.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
No, no,no, you're doing it all wrong. You say "But Honey, I've always had 12 chainsaws" after the event.

The really correct way is to have enough saws that she can't tell when a new one appears. Back when I was just getting a start, I was working on a carb trying to get a tiny screw started when she walked by "Why don't you buy a new saw?"
Me: (distracted) No thanks, I already have 3. Face/palm - she only knew about two.

Latest posts

Back