Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got another cord of maple/birch loaded today.

I’ve cut over two cords of skidder dragged wood with the first $8.99 Trilink chain. Needless to say I’m really happy with it. I did hit the dirt once and saw sparks fly but no adverse effects. I fear as I may have slightly bent my bar though at some point as it doesn’t like to cut with the nose in wood. Going to pop the bar off and lay it across the table to see if I can figure out what’s up. Since that’s a proprietary bar pattern on that little saw I may just be better off finding a burned up saw with a good bar. We’ll see.

View attachment 653188

View attachment 653187

View attachment 653189
I had a old craftsman saw and could not find the right bar, so I found one that was close and put it in the Bridgeport and cut a new oil path. worked good.

Went to a friend of mine's house in CT today, about 10 mi from my Daughter, but the same damage all along the way. Must have been single lane traffic about 10 times.

A before and after pic. This site is a pain with what it won't let you post. The 2nd Cherry (no before, but in the after) was partly broken off half way up, trunk leaning and top on the ground.

Really had to put my thinking cap on to get that 2nd broken off Cherry down on the ground, but it went well. Could not leave it, he has 3 young ones.

I get home and there are two more calls from people with downed trees, it is going to be busy!
Looks like Cherry

I checked out the bar last night. The nose was straight but the bar itself did have a slight bow to one side. I put the tip and base on pieces of lumber and carefully put my weight on the middle of the bar. Appears to be cleared up. I also noticed the nose rivets are really thick on each side of the bar so they may be the problem. It bucks fine with tip buried but when you try to just cut with the tip in small wood it wants to bind. Since it’s a spare spare saw I’m not too concerned. It’s cut more wood this weekend that it has in the last 20 years combined.

That chain looks like it was never sharpened. Looks newish
The guy owns a sawmill and cuts wood. Told my son it seized and they don,t bother fixing them. Told him to keep us in mind for anything wood related. He bought a never used sand blaster, a banding machine with cart.

:laughing:

:cheers:

:cheers:

Is that an old gator gun Reb :laugh:.

I'd snipe those cute little guys with the .17 HMR and throw them in the trash, just wait til the day before thrash so they don't stink, and I'd suggest putting them in a bag first too :yes:.
We have them around here and they don't last long, neither do the coons skunks, opossum, chipmunks, red squirrels, moles(3 already this year), we get along great with our bush buddies :buttkick:(that's the bush buddies not Jeff getting the boot:cheers:).

Do you have fly bait there Neil, you could also scrounge some if that up, they drink a little and job done.

Opossum eat ticks.

Might better rethink giving them the dirt nap.

Does scrounging mud count?

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_24851.jpg
    IMG_24851.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_24691.jpg
    IMG_24691.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_24831.jpg
    IMG_24831.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180519_151739.jpg
    20180519_151739.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 13
Had to move my son's Boss's tractor to a customers place so to make the trip worthwhile I picked this up. My wife was supposed to be away when I got home and wouldn't you know it as I went sneaking into the back field she pulls in the driveway. Told her I was storing it for a friend. Going to make a 24' bed for my band saw sawmill ------> someday that is. It's about 30' long, I'll cut it down a bit. I bought 2 more but I'm taking them to work to store (hide). I don't really have any plans for them seeing as I already have 2 frames sitting back in the long grass (hiding) but he's not sure if he's going to be getting anymore trailers to wreck anymore. I also split wood for an hour tonight. My brother in law dropped off a few free walnut logs for my sawmill. He also threw in a free chain, such a nice guy.
IMG_20180520_134645.jpg
IMG_20180520_191823.jpg IMG_20180520_173922.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180520_140056.jpg
    IMG_20180520_140056.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
There is so much storm damage around here the pros are telling people who don't have trees on their houses, etc they don't know when they can get to them. I could knock on doors and PU all the work I want.

Plus, these folks all know me, and know I'll get it done.
Ahhh yes, the supply out performing demand, firewoods gonna be cheap there next few years i bet.

Dropped off my load of hardwood and hit up the hardware store for deck stain this morning. Ended up spending all afternoon/evening staining my deck until I ran out of stain. Two more gallons should wrap up the project. I overbought compared to their “expected coverage” and still was well short. Oh well.

E2919511-5935-4424-9A33-491445F72A2D.jpeg

Very busy day today, and will be busy tomorrow also. The predicted rain largely did not arrive (just a few very mild showers).

First, I went to my friend Tim's (where I hunt) and cleared the top of a Red Maple that was blocking his driveway … it is all firewood now.

Then I went to my daughters and cut some more of the Hard Maple, there is still a lot left. I'm still working on the stuff in the road, but the people across the street said we can take what ever I want to cut. There are 3 good size trunks. Then I got roped into helping a neighbor of hers start his little Echo saw. I got it running, but it sounded rough even though it looked like new. He said it had not been run in a long time, and he was thrilled I was able to start it.

The Town also told her they will take one of her Maples down for her (after they are not so busy) because it has Transformer Oil spilled all over it.

Then I moved the wood that was dumped on my back lot a little away from the road so people will not think it is OK to take it. After that I sharpened chains, cleaned filters and mixed fuel because I am going to the Adirondacks with my neighbor Chris tomorrow, to clear some property for his proposed cabin.

This site will only let me post one of the pics I took, it is some of the Hard Maple at my Daughters.

Attachments

• IMG_20180520_150403201.jpg
    IMG_20180520_150403201.jpg
    8.8 MB · Views: 19
Pace yourself!

Philbert

I've been struggling to get back in shape this year. First, I hurt my back moving furniture during tax season, then after 4/15 I pulled a muscle in my leg lifting the end of a log (I tired to go higher when the guy could not get the round under it). Was limping for 2 weeks and it still gives me pain, but it is getting better.

Maybe I'm my own worst enemy, but I've always been a "damn the torpedo's" type of guy, I just try to work through everything. Seems to be getting harder as I get older, but I'm still going! I also split most of the Red Maple by hand. Felt good.

It sometimes pains me toward the end of the day, but as long as I recover by morning I'll keep going. Stretching and doing my exercises seems to have helped.

I figure the long ride up and back tomorrow will give me time to rest it.

Back