Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking of this post yesterday when I noticed I had some oak wilt going on as well as some maple wilt, cherry wilt, and even black locust wilt, I may have to get an arborist out to look at them unless you guys can help me figure out the problem :innocent:.
Oak wilt is a fungal disease that can spread through root contact, insects, and wounds to the tree. Treatment is often preventative. Running trenches between healthy trees and diseased ones. There are fungicides for treatment, but on the scale of the farms I scrounge, it's not economically feasible.
:blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2:
View attachment 657668

If you're looking for volunteers, I'm in.:innocent:
I've got a few 70cc saws of multiple colors that you can run, but only one of them is a creamsicle and it's ported, so it would have to be compared to the other ported saws to be fair.
If your going to be over this way let me know and we'll set something up.

Oak wilt is a fungal disease that can spread through root contact, insects, and wounds to the tree. Treatment is often preventative. Running trenches between healthy trees and diseased ones. There are fungicides for treatment, but on the scale of the farms I scrounge, it's not economically feasible.
I've seen it take out quite a few trees in the area.
I killed two myself by my woodshed, damaged the roots putting the shed up. I believe if it wasn't for the very dry summer they would have been fine, wish I would have thought to water them :dumb:.

IMG_20180613_183811.jpg
Wood delivery, wood delivery straight to the house! My tree guy rang me about 10.30 am, 'Hi mate, I'm working close by you today and it would be esy to deliver the wood if you'd like it, its some plum a little oak and sycamore, sycamore is the worst of it.' Me.... 'That would be fabulous! I quite like [european]sycamore, it splits super easy and burns alright, just dro it n the front lawn mate, that would be superb!'

Obviously he didn't deliver thee split stuff...that would be too good! Oh and, my rose bush is doing quite well at the moment. Ignore the weeds....focus on the roses.

Many times in the fall when I was getting my scrounge on(you know back in the day lol) I would only have an hr of daylight, sharpening chains and filling a saw was done after dark at home. It was a matter of time and I could load in the dark, but didn't want to cut even though at the time I was doing a lot of cutting in the city and it wasn't totally dark.

I was thinking of you, talking to a guy on an OP 55, need another lol.
Nope dont need another. Had the owner at the saw shop just the other day try to sell me a like new one. I think I have bought just about every clunker 55 he has had the last couple years. Said he was selling it for a old man that wasnt able to pull the rope to start it. Really good saw, needed nothing. He said make a offer, I didnt want it, said I didnt need it, but he insisted on a offer so I said $50. I knew he wouldnt take that for it, but I really really didnt need it. I probably should have made a decent offer, but heck I have fixed and given away more than I have kept.

Load 2 of oak from the local tree lopper, whoever said Oak splits easy wasn't joking (it splits like butter) but let me tell you it is loaded with water so I guess it will take some time to season.
I had to noodle some of the crotches and nasty pieces.
Neil, I was thinking about your situation yesterday while I was cutting this stuff up. This would pretty much be the situation you're in. At first I would have voted you buy a 7900 but I cut this stuff up with my 550XP with a 16" bar and it was ideal. My 7900 is better if docking up 20" plus rounds but the reality is you'll be getting it already cut up most likely into 16" or shorter bits.
I'm voting get a 50cc pro saw if you can get it at a good price. I will be a massive step up from your little saw and you can always get a 70cc saw down the track
upload_2018-6-14_11-21-27.png

That will be the last time I use my electric sharpener. I'm done with it, it's going to a swap meet this weekend and not coming back. I can hand file much better and at least they cut then.
Carpel tunnel hurts like hell but I'll just sharpen 2 or 3 at a time.
Also told my son to grab a couple of saws off the hangers and sell them too, I'm not even going to look to see what he grabs ( the 440, 460 and 660's are hidden). Told him to take all the huskys too, not lending out saws anymore so don't need those wall hangers. Think I'll finally buy a brand new saw for a change, a 261 maybe as that's the size I use the most anyway. That's 8 or 10 chains in the scrap steel barrel. Going to be followed by a bunch more soon. I was so mad that I even put a chain on backwards once, darn thing cut better than way I think. And even crappier news, the borer has really stepped up it's game here. Ash trees are being attacked by wood peckers, big branches are snapping off when the trees hit the ground. Bark peels off easy and they are full of borer marks. Very few leaves in the top branches of trees. I'm going to be cutting lots down this year before they start falling down. Lots of small stuff on the ground already.
IMG_20180611_193024.jpg

That will be the last time I use my electric sharpener. I'm done with it, it's going to a swap meet this weekend and not coming back.
If I was closer, I would come by and give you some pointers. It's a skill that gets better with a little knowledge and some experience.

What model grinder?

Philbert

That will be the last time I use my electric sharpener. I'm done with it, it's going to a swap meet this weekend and not coming back. I can hand file much better and at least they cut then.
Carpel tunnel hurts like hell but I'll just sharpen 2 or 3 at a time.
Also told my son to grab a couple of saws off the hangers and sell them too, I'm not even going to look to see what he grabs ( the 440, 460 and 660's are hidden). Told him to take all the huskys too, not lending out saws anymore so don't need those wall hangers. Think I'll finally buy a brand new saw for a change, a 261 maybe as that's the size I use the most anyway. That's 8 or 10 chains in the scrap steel barrel. Going to be followed by a bunch more soon. I was so mad that I even put a chain on backwards once, darn thing cut better than way I think. And even crappier news, the borer has really stepped up it's game here. Ash trees are being attacked by wood peckers, big branches are snapping off when the trees hit the ground. Bark peels off easy and they are full of borer marks. Very few leaves in the top branches of trees. I'm going to be cutting lots down this year before they start falling down. Lots of small stuff on the ground already.
View attachment 657776
I got rid of my grinder too. It was a cheap one but what it taught me was how to get better at filing.
How did you make out at the Chesley auction? I thought of going but wound up getting a good load of free wood instead.

I got rid of my grinder too. It wasnt because I didnt like the grinder, it was all my buddies bringing their chains for me to sharpen. My neighbor that has a stump grinding service would bring me 20-25 loops for a 24in bar at a time. I gave him the grinder and showed him how to use it. Best thing is if I rock a chain, I just drive down to his shop and throw them on the grinder. I talked another buddy into buying his own and spent some time showing him how to use it. Now I have access to two grinders. I use the sthil 2in1 to keep my chains sharp. Best $30 I have spent.

Load 2 of oak from the local tree lopper, whoever said Oak splits easy wasn't joking (it splits like butter) but let me tell you it is loaded with water so I guess it will take some time to season.
I had to noodle some of the crotches and nasty pieces.
Neil, I was thinking about your situation yesterday while I was cutting this stuff up. This would pretty much be the situation you're in. At first I would have voted you buy a 7900 but I cut this stuff up with my 550XP with a 16" bar and it was ideal. My 7900 is better if docking up 20" plus rounds but the reality is you'll be getting it already cut up most likely into 16" or shorter bits.
I'm voting get a 50cc pro saw if you can get it at a good price. I will be a massive step up from your little saw and you can always get a 70cc saw down the track
View attachment 657756

You are right, completely, in fact a 30cc saw is big enough if you have enough patience to take your time. I ran out of patience when dealing with a lot of nasty ash. Once the bigger saw is tasted there is no going back. I could definitely get by with a 550xp. It is in my list.... It's the one that stands out as expensive for the power (but then it's surrounded by bigger saws)

Latest posts

Back