Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I was doin a crappy job at filing then discovered the wood was covered in dirt. Full chisel dulls REALLY fast in dirty timber.
I will agree with that. I always file up to the point about 10*. If I know I am going to be cutting skidded wood with lots of dirt, I will file without the 10* angle. Seems to stay sharper longer, but it will cut faster with the 10* than it will without it. Or at least I think it does.

Philbert, I was gotta add a comment about you in there too. I was ready to throw the grinder away last year then I read some of your posts and figured I should give it another shot. Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. It's a cheap Chinese one, I bought a better wheel. It just isn't worth the time to clean the chains, dress the wheel, take the chain off. I don't get in the dirt much so hand filing doesn't really take that long.
JustJeff, I only bought a couple of things, Dewalt planer was a good enough deal. Nothing else there I was really wanting. 20"x 9' cracked ash slabs sold for $200 for a pair.

Lessons from @farmer steve worked for me.
thank you James.
AbandonedAncientGoosefish-max-1mb.gif

I use the Husqvarna versions of those for my chains and once I figured out how to hold my tongue right I got chains just as sharp as factory.
i watched/helped (held the end of the 30 inch bar/ .404 chain) for a guy at the last GTG i was at. pretty slick. might have to get 1 or 2 or 3 to try.

Well I've gone from never filing my chain to doing an ok job in just 2 or 3 goes with the 2 in 1. I won't claim my filing is perfect but so far I have no concerns and I find it very simple to do.

I'd heard they take rakers down aggressively, my experience so far is that is not the case.

Well I've gone from never filing my chain to doing an ok job in just 2 or 3 goes with the 2 in 1. I won't claim my filing is perfect but so far I have no concerns and I find it very simple to do.

I'd heard they take rakers down aggressively, my experience so far is that is not the case.
If you find the 2in1 takes the raker down too far, you can remove the raker file and put it back in every 2-3 filings.

Might have been me that said that. I was surprised how much the 2-in-1 took off the rakers. I'm not complaining though, I just don't push the saw.

Yeah I find the 2-1 file good at times but find that for me it makes the chains too aggressive in the cut, that's ok when you have the power to drive it a aggressive chain but frustrating on a small saw that will bog down
You must be running to long of a bar on that small saw, better get that 572 :rock:.

Once the bigger saw is tasted there is no going back to a one saw plan.
Fixed it for you Neil :cheers:.
Yeah, I got rid of my files. . . . They sharpened OK at first, but after a while I just wasn't getting the results that I wanted.

Got a $300 grinder. Don't see me going back . . .

Philbert
The above applies here too, I only have 3 grinders(two for teeth and one for rakers) and the two stihl bench top file guides, I need a few more file guides and at least one more grinder.
@MustangMike can probably guess which grinder I want, or at least what type of teeth it will produce :yes:.
Edit, I also have a few husky roller guides and various raker guides as well.
I will also say I've used the 2 in ones and they work great for guys whether you can freehand file well or not, and for those who cannot they help you to learn how to freehand better.

I've just had world of power on the phone. The story now is that Makita have recalled the 7900 for a 'problem', this will impact the restock date now to be 'mid to late July'. No exact date. I think it's a good story. Imaginative. Unlikely. Although just about feasible. I did notice the saw disappeared from a few other sites selling it so maybe.... I might see if Makita have published a recall..... And challenge WOP.

The 365 looks more likely doesn't it.

I used to own one of those cheap, Chicago fixed angle grinder. It did ok on semi chisel chain since tilt angle is fixed straight. It was ok for grinding full chisel, but you couldnt get that 10* upward tilt so the chain wasnt as sharp as it could be. The biggest drawback to those cheap grinders is the movement in the assembly. The cheap plastic everything would flex and move just depending on how much and which way pressure was applied. I gave that grinder away when I bought one of the Northern tool Oregon clones. Again, quality wasnt there and I did modify the chain holder and guide slightly to make the results more consistant. I found the angle scale to be off a few degrees, but I set up a new chain and adjusted the grinder to match the new profile and then marked the degree scale to make it easier to set up the correct angles I wanted. I dont saw enough to need a faster way to sharpen a saw, but everybody who's saw I sharpened on the grinder liked the way the saw would cut. That was the problem, buddies and friends started loading me up with chains to grind. I dont mind doing one or two at a time, but things where getting out of hand. Maybe I should have started chargeing them. In a way, I did charge them, they just didnt know it. they would put the sharpened chain on and I would say try it out in my wood pile. They couldnt resist showing how well their saw cut and they would buck up a rick of wood before they stopped. Yea, I'm sneaky that way.:baaa:

Well blow me, there is a recall on the Makita site! Covers DCs and ea, 6400, 7300, 7900 and variants. Makita and dolmar. Users asked to stop using immediately and contact makita. Concernd hand guard on the sprocket guard and brake mechanism on the hand guard (wtf?)
Got a link?

Not finding it here.

Thanks.

Philbert

Back