Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What would be good 36" replacement bar for the new 660 that @LondonNeil is sending my way, the local dealer has the stihl bars but don't fancy the price, I was looking at the Oregon power match bars on eBay but they seem to have a rep for softness, really want to try a Sugi or stumara (don't no how it's spelt)
do any members sell them on here

My 20" Sugi is very light, but my 28" Sugi is a good deal heavier than my 28" Stihl Light, and about the same price, so I prefer the Stihl Light for the longer bars.

Bar weight makes a big difference on a long bar with saw balance.

My 044/046 Hybrid with 28" Stihl Light is a light weight long reach powerhouse. Great for felling or "reaching" things in the log pile.

001.JPG
Not sure if its worth posting in the chainsaw section, given that its a UK recall and most of you lot are tea drowning tax avoiders ;)

As a Masshole resident of the state of tea drowners I must say that tea is frowned upon here for some reason. I like it here and there but my wife loves it. McDonald's charges extra for it with breakfast, but coffee or a soda is included for free and I can't count how many times she has been served lukewarm water for tea and waited 10 or more minutes to get that

The Cast Iron Pirate was by this week , in the back of his truck I saw a chainsaw bar ,,, so it stayed behind as he left lol

Now thats an old saw. Makes my 25 year old Husqvarna 257 look young. Any guess how old it is?

I went back to the new scrounge yesterday and got more. It has some big logs I am not sure I will take out, 1/4 mile drive in now with the tractor so that makes it hard to use skid tongs just haul out one log at a time. I am using my small Husqvarna 450 on most of this so I am just over a quart of fuel, my 257 would be drinking fuel on this. Pay for the power I guess. I have no good guess how much more wood I will get but it's up there, just allot of work getting it.001.JPG

My 20" Sugi is very light, but my 28" Sugi is a good deal heavier than my 28" Stihl Light, and about the same price, so I prefer the Stihl Light for the longer bars.

Bar weight makes a big difference on a long bar with saw balance.

My 044/046 Hybrid with 28" Stihl Light is a light weight long reach powerhouse. Great for felling or "reaching" things in the log pile.
I had a 30"Stihl es on my original 660 and the rail chipped like mad but I never maintained it but to buy another stihl bar and its about €220 to buy a 36" bar so I was curious about other makes of bar

What would be good 36" replacement bar for the new 660 that @LondonNeil is sending my way, the local dealer has the stihl bars but don't fancy the price, I was looking at the Oregon power match bars on eBay but they seem to have a rep for softness, really want to try a Sugi or stumara (don't no how it's spelt)
do any members sell them on here

sugihara are expensive aren't they?

Is this for milling? if so then durability over weight surely? and think about an auxiliary oiler maybe?

Well weight won't matter much in a mill I imagine and yes a auxiliary oiler would be mandatory in a double mill operation
GB titanium is what I would go with for cost and durability when weight isn't an issue, they are hard to beat for the price.

Is the base of the tree big? Biggest HL I saw was about 24". The entire trunk was wrapped in 4" thorns. I don't think I would have cut into that tree.
Everything was covered in poison and that weed with the white death flower @farmer steve told me not to touch. So I don't know. I'd assume if a 1/4" branch had thorns like that the trunk would be something to behold.

View attachment 658217

As a Masshole resident of the state of tea drowners I must say that tea is frowned upon here for some reason. I like it here and there but my wife loves it. McDonald's charges extra for it with breakfast, but coffee or a soda is included for free and I can't count how many times she has been served lukewarm water for tea and waited 10 or more minutes to get that
I feel her pain. There are few places here that know how to do a good green tea. They buy some terrible green tea bags from a supermarket, throw in a pot of water and call it done.

Before

r1jTWzw.jpg

After
ftIJ7eL.jpg

And past the excavator
XcG6v3o.jpg

Fine job @dancan .:rock2: even if it's spruce.:rock: :yes: :happybanana:

Yup , slim pickens on this lot , alder , popple , fir, birch , a couple of small maple , juniper, spruce and 1 oak tree that I wasn't aloud to cut lol
I slashed up most of the fir but the tally should be maybe 2 cord of hardwood and maybe between 3 to 4 cord of saved softwood .

Latest posts

Back