Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are hardcore to work in full sun at those temps. I was mostly in the shade yesterday and it was still hot.

I can do the heat but it sure isn't my happy place , I just move slower lol
I did split up 3 milk crates of kindling this afternoon , sure is gonna dry fast lol

So, armed with my $10 HF Dremel type tool, I did my first full port job on my Asian MS440 Big Bore Cyl #3 today, which was the worst cylinder of the 3, which is why I saved it till last. I mostly focused on the timing rather than on port shape/size, with the exception of adding the bridge ports.

I checked the cylinder timing, came up with a plan, pushed a ring up the cylinder to the desired #s, and had to raise my bridge ports a bit to get them to open first. The uppers were kinda backwards on this saw, opening on the exhaust side first.

The squish is .024, which I left alone. Initial #s were 102, 117.5 and 63.5. My plan was for 98, 117 and 78. The actual #s are 97.5, 117 and 77.5.

Not my favorite #s, but the existing transfers kinda dictated the rest of it. I think my final #s are good, and I hope my crude bridge ports also help a bit.

Comments are welcome, this is a learning journey for me. Part of the reason I buy these cheap kits is to play.

Attachments

• IMG_20180701_151133804_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180701_151133804_HDR.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20180701_151053295_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180701_151053295_HDR.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20180701_151037310_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180701_151037310_HDR.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20180701_150950618_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180701_150950618_HDR.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 16
I'm curious about how this oak I picked up will burn. I was splitting some of it today and a thin, mebbe 1/4 - 1/3 inch thick bit split off (no, I didn't almost miss the entire block :laugh:). Drying conditions in Australia at the moment - for this particular piece - are very good indeed.

2nd Jul 7.jpg

Burning this later won't tell much about the duration of burn and heat output. But I'm interested to see how much ash forms as it burns. Now that I'm less of a density snob, ash content is almost the biggest factor of interest for me.

I'm curious about how this oak I picked up will burn. I was splitting some of it today and a thin, mebbe 1/4 - 1/3 inch thick bit split off (no, I didn't almost miss the entire block :laugh:). Drying conditions in Australia at the moment - for this particular piece - are very good indeed.

View attachment 660787

Burning this later won't tell much about the duration of burn and heat output. But I'm interested to see how much ash forms as it burns. Now that I'm less of a density snob, ash content is almost the biggest factor of interest for me.
Oak makes coals. So does Sugar Maple. Thats really the only disadvatage of hardwoods. Lotsa coals.

I've only cut up a bit with it so no idea of battery life .
It sure has a lot of torque , I've not stalled the chain .
With the two 3Ah batteries it feels about as heavy as my 241 .
I took my new DeWalt trimmer and blower out Thursday. I got the 20 volt so I can use the same batteries as my hand tools. Everything worked OK, nothing to dance about. Did the trimming on 2 yards. The blower works good on blowing grass off the walks and drive, don't think it will be much on leaves. Mowed a lawn two doors down from me friday, so I just carried the trimmer down, pulled the trigger, it spun up for 2 seconds and died. So it looks like I can get two yards per charge. The mower shop I deal with really pushes the DeWalt 40V chainsaw and trimmers, maybe I should have gotten the bigger ones. The 20V trimmer and blower were a combo sale, the two tools, battery, and charger for $199. Delivered to my door in 2 days, free shipping, with tax came to $210.

They backed off on our forecast from 98 to 92. I’m siting outside drinking coffee and it’s a very pleasant 75 degrees.

It's crazy the difference in the heat in this state at times. It was 93 last week here but when I was talking to my uncle a few hundred miles north it was 69.

It's funny around here most burners are oak snobs. We mainly have red, pin, and bur oak. People pay crazy for it and they literally don't want anything but. It does last a long time but it takes usually close to two years to dry close to 15%. You can pretty much get as much elm, ash, and maple as you want.

Heat wave here with all the usual warnings. I saw a guy with a load of firewood yesterday and I just thought “why today”. I kicked the wife’s car out of the garage a while ago to work on my scrounge wagon. I am doing trailer brakes now and they are quite rusty. Probably have to replace everything. Also decided since yesterday was the hottest day of the year, why not weld on the boat trailer. Lol. This morning the wind has shifted to coming from the north off the lake (Huron and Georgian Bay) so it’s dropped to 75. Coffee outside on the deck. Good idea Steve!

Latest posts

Back