Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We then made a beeline to the boat launch and transferred the scrounge over so we could get it to his camp .And then steamed it up the lake
A 'real' lumberjack would have formed a raft of the timber and rode it with peavys and pike poles.

Just sayin . . .

Anyone who would put the logs inside an aluminum boat, would probably also put firewood inside a minivan!

Philbert

Well, I finished all the assembly on my Big Bore #3 and fired her up today, and she sounded good. Very responsive and well mannered.

Was really looking forward to putting it in some wood (even though it was like an oven out side), but then my 046/460 tank holders arrived (I had ordered 3 of them). So I figured, get the D jug saw running too, and I can compare them, right??? I mean installing a tank holder can't take very long!

So I start installing the screw in the top AV mount, and the damn thing breaks off in the tank handle. I get my easy outs, drill, etc etc, had to drill completely through the darn screw, then the easy out finally removed it. I resume the tank installation, and the darn carb flange will not bolt on. Then I realize 2 of the 3 tank holders are for 440s, not 460s. Well, I remove the 440 tank holder, install the 460 tank holder, get the D jug saw running, then the wife comes out with her honey do lists and says I can't just play with saws all day long … IMAGINE!!!

The good news is that both saws are running, and I hope to test them out tomorrow!

A 'real' lumberjack would have formed a raft of the timber and rode it with peavys and pike poles.

Just sayin . . .

Anyone who would put the logs inside an aluminum boat, would probably also put firewood inside a minivan!

Philbert

And made home a legend in this place.

Getting there but it's slow going with my bad backView attachment 660875
Going out in a forest to cut wood is quite therapeutic but digging turf looks like digging a sewer pipeline (okay I know that’s a bit unfair :).
I work with a stack of Irish lads and they tell me nothing beats the smell of burning turf. My question is how does it stack up against wood for energy content, burn time and amount of ash produced?

Going out in a forest to cut wood is quite therapeutic but digging turf looks like digging a sewer pipeline (okay I know that’s a bit unfair :).
I work with a stack of Irish lads and they tell me nothing beats the smell of burning turf. My question is how does it stack up against wood for energy content, burn time and amount of ash produced?

I imagine it'd be pretty well compressed so plenty of BTUs. But if I wanted to dig dirt instead of cutting wood, I'd help Cowgirl in the garden.

All the same, I'm curious as to how it all happens.

I imagine it'd be pretty well compressed so plenty of BTUs. But if I wanted to dig dirt instead of cutting wood, I'd help Cowgirl in the garden.

All the same, I'm curious as to how it all happens.
the smaller the turf is,the more it burns like coal and can be warm quite in a open fire it's long lasting and bulks up nicely with some firewood but on the downside it's ashy as hell but it's well worth it

I've been wanting a Poulan XXV for a while now, and got this little "Sears Explorer I" at a sale today for $10. I'm pretty sure it's a rebadged Poulan XXV. It starts and runs like a brand new saw. I've got to learn how to post video's? I got the B&D folding work bench for $10 too, I think it was a good scrounge. I was sweating buckets just waiting for this to sell, too hot to scrounge wood.

rhL1oHr.jpg

I've been wanting a Poulan XXV for a while now, and got this little "Sears Explorer I" at a sale today for $10. I'm pretty sure it's a rebadged Poulan XXV. It starts and runs like a brand new saw. I've got to learn how to post video's? I got the B&D folding work bench for $10 too, I think it was a good scrounge. I was sweating buckets just waiting for this to sell, too hot to scrounge wood.

rhL1oHr.jpg
20180402_100753.jpg looks like a s25da to me.

rhL1oHr.jpg
Open a YouTube account, download videos there. Copy the link and paste here.
Pretty cool looking old saw.

View attachment 661025 View attachment 661026 View attachment 661027 View attachment 661028 Hey @dancan what do you think of this 3 point winch I picked up the other day, it's brand new and never used so I bought it for a steal. I reckon it would make 1 badass tree winch with a bit of blood, sweat and tears

Awesome !!
I've not run across that style of winch setup for a 3pt around here but from your pics I see how they've set it up , some pics without the covers would be nice :)
A few questions about it ,
Does it free spool ?
Does it have a brake ?
Does it power spool out ?
Link to the manufacturer ?

slide2.jpg nest1.jpg I was itching to try out the new 261 that I bought a few weeks ago and yesterday was the only time I had so I went and cut 8 trees down and brought home a load of logs. I really like the saw and when I 1st started using it I thought it really felt light but as I continued to use it ( in the heat) it just got heavier and heavier. Even in the shade of the bush it was stinking hot. The saw does work really nice but again I hate the new stuff. The rubber mounts are too loose for my liking, I cut a lot of cedar posts and like to trim the branches real short. The loose feeling of the rubber sucks for trimming close, it grabs and sticks. Other than that the saw is nice. Since getting the sawmill I've been leaving the bigger stuff standing so the 261 will get used much more than my 460's cutting the smaller stuff. My back will be thanking me. I did have one issue starting it when the saw was really really hot but 4 pulls and it started. My wife thought I was crazy heading to the bush but she had mentioned a few things that needed to be done around the house so boom I was gone. I also built a 24' water slide for the grand kids, bit of soap and a water hose and they didn't care about the heat. We also have a Catholic Robin in the barn, that nest is gonna be full.
slide1.jpg

View attachment 661054 looks like a s25da to me.
Yep, the XXV's are 25's. The only thing funny, is the surface of the muffler cover is stamped like snake scales, not just smooth with holes. It has a Craftsman model number beginning with 358. The highest I saw on Acres site was a 355, but no pic. Then the numbers jumped to 900+

Well, I got my oak scrounge split up and stacked with the uglies noodled into stackable shapes and the super-uglies laid up against the outside of the woodshed to get the full sun and radiating heat off the metal for early season next year. Hopefully they'll be near enough to dry to burn then.

4th Jul 1.jpg

I weighed the bit suspended on top near the centre of the row lying at right angles to the other bits as Joe suggested. It was an even 7kgs (15.4lbs). It'll be interesting to see how it dries out. The row is 2/3 cord plus some unstackables by the shed.

4th Jul 2.jpg

The three headed ugly to the left is going to a neighbour who wants to do some artistic chainsawing so we'll see what he comes up with.

svk, we wondered that too but she doesn't go far from the nest and puts up a heck of a noise whenever anything comes near it. Darn things are laying everywhere this year. This one has 3 babies in it now. Under the engine hood of one of my Steiners. I was using it for 20 minutes before I just happened to open the hood and seen the nest. I had to take it back to where it was parked. I thought maybe the eggs were cooked but maybe all it did was speed up the incubation period?
steinernest.jpg

Latest posts

Back