Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ya sounds like a good plan with 1/2 inch on bottom and 1/4" on sides .... or if you're really concerned about weight you could just duct tape some heavy poly to form a 'U' bottom and protect the bottom from goup as well as part way up the walls. The lazy man's partial sled protector ;)

Mountain, the only piece that has to be strong is the front board that protects you and your seats. if you design it right, the bottom and both sides are supported by the vehicle and can be very thin. It just makes it so much easier to get the wood in and out, and also really protects the inside of the vehicle. When I used to slide it in my Explorer I referred to it a a "Pick Up Truck Conversion".

View attachment 342080 I was twitching a 40 foot, 30" oak log down the side of the mountain when it started to pass me, so I nudged it into a ledge, with the front bumper, to slow it down before I reached the landing.
Now that's a great story to be able to tell your grandkids! :clap: Nice going Clint!
Gotta love those old beaters that run like tanks eh! Best part is, if you bust them up, you're not out an arm and a leg and with most of them, you or an old school mechanic can still work on them without requiring $90+ per hour daignostics shop time.

- - - -

Mountain, the only piece that has to be strong is the front board that protects you and your seats. if you design it right, the bottom and both sides are supported by the vehicle and can be very thin.

. . . that makes good sense Mike !

I pull the logs out to my woods road with 10,000lb. - 30' tow straps and a piece of logging chain. This particular log was at the end of the tow strap and gained momentum quicker than I expected. Fortunately I was able to wait until it got by me a few feet and then guided it into the ledge to stop it. Once I pull the logs out to the road I hook them up short with a chain, to have better control of them. This one was anxious to get to the landing. Those tow straps are tough and relatively cheap. I hook a chain on the logs first so the straps don't touch the ground. 3 -30' straps ,with safety hooks on each end, plus a 15' chain give a nice 100' reach to snatch out trees I can't back right up to. I was skeptical of using tow straps at first, but not any more. They handle some pretty good size loads, and are lighter than dragging a chain through the woods.They have much more uses then just pulling out stuck vehicles. Pretty handy thing to have for a scrounger. I have used straps to pull many smaller trees out to where I could cut them up easier, rather than wading into the brush ,cutting them up and tossing, or carrying them to my vehicle for loading. You would be surprised at what just a regular car, on flat ground, will pull with a strap. Saved me a lot of hand carrying more than once. I keep one in every vehicle, and wouldn't be without it. The safety hooks on each end allow you to hook onto any vehicle, and connect individual straps together for more reach.

I use wire rope made for winches. I form a loop on the end so I can use it as a choker and also attach it to other cables if needed.
I have one that is 100' and another that I cut into sections, and welded the ends back up so it will not unravel. I believe they are 6000 lbs and will pull anything I need.

The last one I bought was from Amazon. It was a yellow 30 footer with safety hooks on both ends. 10,000 lb. rated. I believe they were on sale at the time for $19 w/ free shipping. Safety hooks are the best. They allow you connect lengths without the hooks falling off.

Actually, you decided once you posted that link on a site for firewood scroungers.

Philbert
Im tryin to think of an excuse to be in that area, but havent come up with anything. Think im gonna pass on this one

One thing I have found using tow straps is to use a piece of short chain for both hook up points. A chain to hook around the load ( log-branch- top-etc) and a chain to hook to the vehicle. A chain on each end will save the strap from coming in contact with anything that could cause abrasions to the nylon. Eliminate any chance the strap will rub on the vehicle doing the pulling, and the log being pulled. A piece of chain extending out from the body of the vehicle, and out from the log, will keep the strap suspended off the ground when pulling a load. I use a grab hook on one end, and a safety hook on the other end of each piece of chain. Gives more flexibility on the hook up. Using the straps just for pulling, and not direct hook up, ensures longevity of the tow strap.

I have not snapped one yet and I have put them to the test with some some pretty good size logs.
One thing I have found using tow straps is to use a piece of short chain for both hook up points. A chain to hook around the load ( log-branch- top-etc) and a chain to hook to the vehicle. A chain on each end will save the strap from coming in contact with anything that could cause abrasions to the nylon. Eliminate any chance the strap will rub on the vehicle doing the pulling, and the log being pulled. A piece of chain extending out from the body of the vehicle, and out from the log, will keep the strap suspended off the ground when pulling a load. I use a grab hook on one end, and a safety hook on the other end of each piece of chain. Gives more flexibility on the hook up. Using the straps just for pulling, and not direct hook up, ensures longevity of the tow strap.

I think I get your drift, I'm thinking you loop chain through/around tow bar and secure with grab hook and then hookup your chain to the safety hook of first strap - then same thing around log in reverse . . . any pictures?

Exactly. As an example my Dodge Ram has a Reece trailer hitch with multiple attachment points, so that particular chain has 2 safety hooks on it. For any other vehicle without a Reece hitch I use a grab hook so you can loop it around a variety of pulling points. A safety hook looped around an object ( a trailer ball for instance) and snapped back onto the chain has a tendency to crush the safety clasp when it pulls tight. Same issue hooking up to a log with a safety hook instead of a grab hook.

We dumped probably 5-6 cords worth of Ash logs that went in the tub grinder yesterday to make mulch. Scroungers always come into the office asking for free wood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't recall if I mentioned this, but I live in a county with EAB restrictions - no hardwood firewood (any species) can be moved out, so some scrounging opportunities are limited.

The cities are removing affected ash trees but won't let you keep the wood, because they want to eliminate any potential habitat for the bugs. Used to able to take wood from the compost/branch collection sites, but no more. Technically, ash can be kept within the quarantined areas, and de-barked wood is acceptable, but they still discourage this - prefer kiln dried firewood, etc.

So scrounging locally cut, non-ash trees from tree service companies is a prime source.

Philbert

Back