Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I'd say so. Doesn't always need to be a race with the next guy.

In my book, scrounging is any and all wood that you get for free. Whether it's on the roadside or a tree that blows down on your own property.

I couldnt agree more. I have yet to buy wood and with what I have coming up this weekend I should be set for at least two years , so far it has worked for me.
Sometimes you need to jump on it ; like the roadside pile and other times it is good to be lucky ; like the neighbor that is having trees taken down , knows you burn wood and offers it to you.

Lastly ; it makes it much easier to convince the better half that a new chainsaw is a neccesity and not just a new toy.

Still cheaper than paying the oil man.

I am not surprised, it is a place of business. Too many sue happy people around. A business open to public access is a lot different than private property.

I was able to scrounge some more wood. Those are the centers pieces from large cable reels. About 6' tall.
View attachment 342534

wow - I don't see a tree in sight on your photo. How far do you have to drive to get firewood? Those centre pieces off cable reels look like a nice creative score! What kind of wood are those large rounds?

wow - I don't see a tree in sight on your photo. How far do you have to drive to get firewood? Those centre pieces off cable reels look like a nice creative score! What kind of wood are those large rounds?

The large rounds are cottonwood. I also have some Siberian elm mixed in there. The center pieces from the cable reels are what look like a mix of pine and oak.

There are no trees unless you go to town or the mountains. Town is about 30 miles away and the mountains are about 70 miles away.
When the weather gets warmer and the snow melts in the mountains I will go get some pine.

The large rounds are cottonwood. I also have some Siberian elm mixed in there. The center pieces from the cable reels are what look like a mix of pine and oak.

There are no trees unless you go to town or the mountains. Town is about 30 miles away and the mountains are about 70 miles away.
When the weather gets warmer and the snow melts in the mountains I will go get some pine.

I'll never complain about having to drive a little more than up the mountain behind me for wood again ;)

Latest posts

Back