Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They don't look it in the pictures but they range in diameter from 6-12" and have to be cut to 10' lengths and man- handled into stacks to be collected by lorry
What is the largest diameter tree that can be reasonably felled with a bike handle brush clearing saw with an 8 inch diameter blade

EDIT: STIHL manual says 2-3/4 inch maximum diameter trees.

Phlbert

What is the largest diameter tree that can be reasonably felled with a bike handle brush clearing saw with an 8 inch diameter blade

EDIT: STIHL manual says 2-3/4 inch maximum diameter trees.

Phlbert
Reasonable might be somewhat subjective :) Look at what the feller bunchers with those circular saw felling heads can safely cut with a good operator. It's more than the radius of the blade. I reckon reasonable in nighthunter's context might be the biggest he can push over to set the direction of fall if need be. I wonder how many blades on those things get bent as the tree goes over.

Just a cool trailer.

For roofing jobs. Hard to imagine, but also hard to un-see once seen.

On scissor lift. Flared wings to catch debris. Compact enough to fit places.

View attachment 665476

Philbert
Three generations of construction workers in the family trying to find a better way. Brilliant. That's one of the great things about visiting the old forestry salts around here. They have had a lifetime or more of experimenting and finding ways and creating machinery to do the job faster, cleaner, safer, easier, cheaper or some combination thereof. Sometimes it takes a while of staring at some rusty iron to figure out what it did best and just how clever some people are. When I went from a desk job staring at a computer to floundering around out in the bush, one of the best things about it has been what to me was a revelation about how many thinkers there are in the bush and in rural NZ. I hope that creativity is never crushed.

Morning fellas,

Back from Samoa now (Western Samoa that is, not American). Took a charter one arvo. One day the previous week a family caught a dozen Spanish mackerel up to 1.5m but we struggled a bit. Conditions were a bit rough and the fish did not co-operate. As I always say, if you catch lots of fish, it's due to your good fishing. If you don't catch lots of fish, it's the fish's fault.

Snagged a couple of small GTs, a blue fin trevally and one Spaniard. Made sure I was wearing the right cap so you'd know it was me.

GOPR0960.JPG
GOPR0965.JPG
GOPR0968.JPG
The charter operators were both Aussies and made the flat statement that the Spanish mackerels from that part of the Pacific were the best eating fish in the ocean. "Really?", I sez. I've had it back in Oz and thought it to be good but not awesome. What about coral trout? Red emperor? Better than them and other tasty fish? They smile. Try it and get back to us, they say.

Well, I have to say that they were right. Much better than back home. The resort chef cooked it up for us according to our personal specifications...."In big slabs, please".

IMG_7284.JPG

It was a great trip.

IMG_7135.JPG
:)

I had an old articcat 300 it was a good quad. Sold it to get a Suzuki king quad 300 same exact quad but the suzuki came with front locker and 2 low range settings. Standard low and pull the house off the foundation ultra low. Never understood why the cat didn't have those parts being a rebadged king quad.

I had an old articcat 300 it was a good quad. Sold it to get a Suzuki king quad 300 same exact quad but the suzuki came with front locker and 2 low range settings. Standard low and pull the house off the foundation ultra low. Never understood why the cat didn't have those parts being a rebadged king quad.

That's a large reason why I went with this cat, you can engage the front locker with just the flip of a switch. I don't want to have to wait for a front tire to start spinning before it locks in with the hills I need to climb, if it starts spinning you just lost. It's just high and low gear, but it's also a 650 and has pretty good power down low. Not many Suzuki's around here for sale but they were both machines I was researching. I like Honda's reliability, but beyond that they seem boring to me. I've just never been a Honda guy.

Back