Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's how I think of the little Homelite EZ, they put a decomp on it, but no decomp on the 100CC Super 1050?
Maybe the thinking is, if you aren’t strong enough to start a 100cc saw, you really shouldn’t be running it.

We are overrun with water and mosquitoes. The ground squishes when you walk. I even had puddles of standing water 24 hours after the rain stopped. If I can remember I’ll grab a pic of the crick going out of the lake. The water was over the culvert and normally it’s barely flowing.

This has been the thickest “second hatch” of mosquitoes I’ve even seen. And if it doesn’t dry up we are going to have a third hatch as well.

We are overrun with water and mosquitoes. The ground squishes when you walk. I even had puddles of standing water 24 hours after the rain stopped. If I can remember I’ll grab a pic of the crick going out of the lake. The water was over the culvert and normally it’s barely flowing.

This has been the thickest “second hatch” of mosquitoes I’ve even seen. And if it doesn’t dry up we are going to have a third hatch as well.
just hope they die off before the 6th of September for the next "up north" fishing trip....

It's been a couple weeks since we've seen any amount of rain, river is nearly back in it's banks. The second hatch of skeeters and gnats were horrible here, thankfully it was rather short lived. It was almost like a light switch as they just shut off completely. One day you didn't dare go outside in the afternoon even, 3 days later I could do chores at night, no breeze, without getting bit.

That and the flies. I have never seen them this thick. Horseflies and deer flies out the yingy.

Didnt know there was a need for a decomp on the 036:confused:
It's more for the sake of the recoils.
The only saw I used them on was the closed port husky 55 as it would just snap the plastic pin off the recoil like nothing.
I sold a 460 to a guy one time who couldn't start it, I had to show him how to use the recoil. I just drop start them and run them, went and looked at a 3120 a few months ago(should have bought it :omg:), the guy says you might want to use the decomp, I said for what, 5 pulls later:chainsaw:.
I'm just not wanting to score a cylinder by using them and having one get a piece of carbon on it and to have it start leaking. To me they are a use it all the time or don't use it at all.

It's more for the sake of the recoils.
The only saw I used them on was the closed port husky 55 as it would just snap the plastic pin off the recoil like nothing.
I sold a 460 to a guy one time who couldn't start it, I had to show him how to use the recoil. I just drop start them and run them, went and looked at a 3120 a few months ago(should have bought it :omg:), the guy says you might want to use the decomp, I said for what, 5 pulls later:chainsaw:.
I'm just not wanting to score a cylinder by using them and having one get a piece of carbon on it and to have it start leaking. To me they are a use it all the time or don't use it at all.
I kind of figured that was why it's there. A stock 590 has one for the same reason. I didn't use it till I got the saw back from Del. Don't know what the compression is but it's more then the red97 590 I ran.

Mate………. That’s not hot!

Weighed a full load of wood, these two pieces only just fitted into my medium size firebox.

Get a full 12hrs burn time, based on this say 2kg burn rate per hour and an efficiency of say 60%. Energy content of the wood, 25Mj per kg x 2 = 50MJ / 3600 sec x 0.6 = 8.3 kW output, about the same as my split system heat pump. Running the heat pump at 3.75 kw power consumption $0.25 per kw/hr 3.75 x 0.25 x 12 hrs = $11.25 just to run it for 12 hrs.

This is the first time I’ve actually done the math, either way I love the wood burning.

upload_2018-7-26_7-14-54.png

upload_2018-7-26_7-14-54.png

My birthday! Unfortunately I’ll be out of town that day.
?? that's why I picked that day you know! it save me a few shots at the local beverage lounge !! this way I can afford to buy more bait to catch more fish instead of sharing hang-overs with a birthday friend?? lol just kidding you know ! "HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY OLE FRIEND" ...

Mate………. That’s not hot!
Mate, oh yes it is, its very hot for Pommes!

I realise its not hot for many parts of the world, many parts of Australia, many parts of the US, but it is abnormally hot for us. very abnormally hot. I'd say once in 50 to 100 years hot...except the record was set in 2003....climate change does predict this though I think (the unusual extremes become much more common as well as the average shifting slightly). As well as being pale skinned, red faced and unaclimatised to this heat, our infrastructure just isn't built for it. We don't have many buildings with air con, our railways are suffering buckled tracks, our farms don't irrigate so our crops have totally failed, our tarmac roads have melted. We don't get extrmemes, so when we do (be it hot, or cold and snow, or heavy rain and flooding....and we've had all these events in the last few years) we fail to cope.

Oh and ...I'm jealous. I'd split each of those lumps into 6, and fit about 3 splits into either of my stoves. its a good job i enjoy splitting

Back