Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well i just looked and could buy 20" husqvarna 3/8 x1.5mm bar to fit the 365 for £29. so since i can get chains on amazon for £13 its not actually much of a deal to get the bar with the saw....definitely not worth buying, selling the bar, and changing to a stihl.

over here i can find adapters for £12. stihl bars 20" 3/8 by 1.6mm rollomatic bars are £36, and a stihl chain (i know i don't have to fit stihl chain, but just giving the info) £19. Would you believe....i can't find a stihl rollomatic e 20" 1.3mm? it look like anything over 16" is 1.6mm over here.

I have a small preference for thinner as it leads to a smaller pile of chips to rake up and bin/compost, but accept stihl are higher quality....but also higher price. As a guy with no experience i can only go on what i read, but get the feeling husky is ok quality, and ok for the money. stihl is better, and maybe slightly better value? I'm open to be convinced, but currently th husky bar looks to lead.
Small Stihl 180 and the 365 won’t take the same bar or chain so there is no advantage swapping anything. The .058 is just fine and only refers to the drive length width not the size of cutter. There is an eight thousandths of an inch difference between the two.

My aunt is probably going to buy one of those rather than fix the burned up 3516. I’ll report once she does. I figured she’d appreciate the easy start.

If one wants easy start, stay away from the MS193T. Pulls harder than any saw I have ever had. Now the MS192T was a real ***** cat to pull but that one grew legs one night.

does the cutter not get narrower as well? i guess it doesn't have to. I was just assuming it did. the differnce in the ple of hips between the 1.6mm on the 038 and the pm3 chain on the ms180 is incredible, but pm3 IS smaller cutters.
The cutter is the same size on all chains of the same pitch. Why we need three different DL gauges is beyond me. IMO .058 is totally redundant.

EC8522C7-981B-4716-83FB-02D89BB395AD.jpeg Since we’ve had fire bans most of the season I haven’t sold any campfire wood yet. I hate to leave wood rot so I often have pine, willow and poplar. Some I mix in with my heating wood but the rest usually get used by me or sold. Today I stacked this 4x6 skid with mostly willow and some poplar and pine. It was just piled on the ground by the splitter and a lot is mostly dry now. I may try to burn it in October/November if I don’t get any takers.

Stopped at a local Home Depot for some garage door parts, and made a 'courtesy pass' through the outdoor power equipment aisles. One of the guys that works there walked up to me and said, "Hey, you are the chainsaw guy!", then proceeded to ask me a bunch of questions about some trees he wants to take down.

I guess we talked in the past? I should charge HD for staff training!

Philbert

Stihl makes .058. When I had my 365 I ran Stihl chain on it. I might be just imagining things but I feel like the Stihl chain is slightly harder and holds an edge a touch longer. The Oregon chain I’ve had seems easier to file but dulls faster. I’ve never tried any but the husky guys say the new x-cut chain is something else. Why 058 even exists is beyond me. Why can’t marine engine manufacturers use the same fuel tank fittings? At least the cell phone folks are starting to get their act together with the charge cords.

I have an older one that is a separate tool. Google turns up that the file holder and setting gauge are now available as one unit. Hopefully the pic works. The setting part is at the top of the pic.
s-l500.jpg
Yea. Ineedat.

Stopped at a local Home Depot for some garage door parts, and made a 'courtesy pass' through the outdoor power equipment aisles. One of the guys that works there walked up to me and said, "Hey, you are the chainsaw guy!", then proceeded to ask me a bunch of questions about some trees he wants to take down.

I guess we talked in the past? I should charge HD for staff training!

Philbert
Been there done that

It's an anachronism. Might keep some Husquvarna folks going back to Husqvarna dealers.

Philbert
Yeah it’s funny how people think they need brand specific chain, bar, oil, etc.

And my other pet peeve, when each mfgr changes their bar so you need an oddball drive link count to accommodate.

. . . my other pet peeve, when each mfg changes there bar so you need an oddball drive link count to accommodate.
Need to invent a derailleur, like on a mountain bike, to take up the slack in a running chain loop, and to let you shift gears!

Philbert

Plus I keep spending my money in the classifieds :) And my next purchase is probably something ported.
I've been know to do a bit of shopping myself :oops:. Had to replenish inventory as I was getting low :clap:.
Let me know what your looking for when you're ready.
IMG_20180806_175832327_LL.jpg

Latest posts

Back