Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turned my white ash scrounge into nearly a full rack of splits. Used the True Temper 6# maul with the new head from @Philbert. I’m really glad I was able to salvage that one.

Used my buddy’s Makita 5000 to noodle the tough pieces. I’m really enjoying that saw. Isn’t as light, High revving, nor handles as well as a 346/550 but is very smooth and has lots of torque. And clears noodles like crazy.

7AEFEF22-11E2-4672-95CC-50564F48E9F4.jpeg

The Stihl Guy here does a buy one get 2nd half price which takes a little of the sting out of it. Although I may take a while to use that second chain. I’ve cut probably a dozen decent sized trees with the first one and it’s hardly worn.
In softwood my Stihl chains last almost indefinitely unless you hit the ground!

turnkey4099
Yeah it’s funny how people think they need brand specific chain, bar, oil, etc.

And my other pet peeve, when each mfgr changes their bar so you need an oddball drive link count to accommodate.

I got bit when buying a Husky top handle. 14" bar figuring the left over chains from my 193% would fit. Nope, Husky 14" is one link longer than Stihl 14"

woodchip rookie

woodchip rookie

Addicted to ArboristSite
when each mfgr changes their bar so you need an oddball drive link count to accommodate.
Thats the only reason I dont run Stihl chain. The ones out of the box dont fit my saws. If Stihl would pull their heads out their butts alot of Husky guys would probably buy Stihl chain.

JustJeff

JustJeff

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
We have a great STIHL Dealer here. No matter what oddball saw and drive link count, he always has one already made up in a box. Like the 69 drive links on my junkyard homelite. I badly wanted to put a $13 chain on that thing but I probably spent 20 in gas driving around trying to find one. Went to the Stihl dealer and guy didn’t bat an eye, 30 seconds later I had one in hand. I won’t waste time next time.

LondonNeil

LondonNeil

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Does it really matter what guage is used? I mean, they are equally strong and cut the same. Yes it's irritating it's used to tie you to a manufacturer, but stihl and husky/Oregon are all fair quality and value and all readily available. I come from Stihl, but am happy to try husky, and expect to have no trouble with chains.

Marine5068

Marine5068

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Was just talking to my youngest brother, who does surveying, and he said the bugs are unbearable this year. Mostly deer flies and mosquitoes.
Up here the deer flies just killed me in late Spring / early Summer this year. I still have bite scars on my legs.
Mosquitoes are always too thick in the land of 250,000 lakes and 7,074 rivers. It should be Ontario's provincial bird I say...lol.
Black flies were a bit bad for about two weeks but the deer flies drive me nuts because they bite so hard. Buggars.
I use a lot of repellent each year.

Marine5068

Marine5068

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Over the last few weeks, with the help of some Asian parts, I've brought a 044, 046 and 460 back to life, and built some 440 Big Bores totally (almost) from Asian parts. Have also done port work to the cylinders on all of them (the new thing I'm learning to do). I'm impressed with the way most of them run. (On the Big Bore kits I like to use OEM piston pin, piston pin bearing, and piston … and an HL Supply chain adjuster). The chain adjusters that come with the saw don't even fit in the case!

But I guess this year, I'll have to "get my kicks" on that famous Highway (I see youngsters not knowing what I'm talking about)!!!
My Brother-in-law has toured most of the whole route on many of his vintage BMW motorcycles over the years.
Has a friend that ships their bikes down to a location and then they meet him and tour around. Then the bikes get shipped back home.
Usually about ten of them go for the yearly trip somewhere in the States. Most all of them drive new Harleys but he Likes his old BMWs. He owns over 100 restored bikes of all makes.

Marine5068

Marine5068

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Yesterday evening’s chaos. Holy moly the bugs are bad!

View attachment 667228
You guys have lots of lakes and forests there too. That's what they like to breed. I literally have to cover my whole body up with headnet too and use tons of spray to keep them off me just a bit.

Well shucks I'll warm you too:blob2:.
Dang fat fingers and I didn't have my glasses on when using my phone :badpc: :dumb:.
It’s ok lol.

One time one one my best buddies was picking up my wife to give her a ride because I needed her car. While coordinating the ride, he texted me that he’d “meat” her on Friday night. LOL

Latest posts