Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy u guys and your e free gas. Wow i have used 87 octane gas for 30 some years never had any gas related problems. But all my gas goes though real fine screens. I think that helps with the water issues. Use a real good oil that has fuel additives also.

Boy u guys and your e free gas. Wow i have used 87 octane gas for 30 some years never had any gas related problems. But all my gas goes though real fine screens. I think that helps with the water issues. Use a real good oil that has fuel additives also.

Try letting that ethanol gas sit in a tank on a boat, even with stabilizer it will cause big problems especially w fuel injected outboards. A fuel/water separating filter is mandatory for marine engines/outboards using Egas and even with them problems like poor starting,junked up carbs, poor performance and ruined motors still happen if the **** gas is left in the tank or in the motor for to long. If the engine is run everyday/fresh gas it's no big deal. Let the Egas sit for months in a tank or motor and bad, expensive things happen.

Try letting that ethanol gas sit in a tank on a boat, even with stabilizer it will cause big problems especially w fuel injected outboards. A fuel/water separating filter is mandatory for marine engines/outboards using Egas and even with them problems like poor starting,junked up carbs, poor performance and ruined motors still happen if the **** gas is left in the tank or in the motor for to long. If the engine is run everyday/fresh gas it's no big deal. Let the Egas sit for months in a tank or motor and bad, expensive things happen.
It’s the worst in boats and snowmobiles. Especially if they sit outside and get warm-cold-warm-cold in the sun. I have seen fuel go so bad that it wouldn’t burn. My friend owns a power sport repair shop and he did some work in a customers machine and the guy didn’t come pick it up for a couple months. When he did, it wouldn’t start so he started cursing at my buddy who did the tune up. I was there and this guy was a knob. Lou calmly grabs a suction tool and draws some fuel out of the tank and squirts it out on the shop floor and puts a lighter to it. It would not light. He says “I did the tune up but I didn’t put that gas in it. Would you like an estimate for me to fix it?”
Nothing wrong with ethanol if you run a machine regularly like every week. It can also be harmful to older engines that weren’t designed for it, corrosive to fuel system parts.

I guess I'll have to give it a try. There 5 minutes from home so what's a gallon to see if it makes a difference.
Like others have said, it's how long you let it sit. I don't think you hide your saws away for long periods. You ran my Super 1050 and that was 87/E, Stihl synthetic. I pretty much go through a gallon every time I pick up a saw. Since Neil got me hooked on these Ickle saws I might get a few more hours of play time, but can run a couple tanks through them pretty quick. I used to get 30 gallons of E free at a time for my Massey 135 that I keep in WV. But, at 50 cents a gallon more, I quit doing that. I just make sure I run the tank dry before I leave. If I plan on being back in a week or two, I shut the fuel valve off and let it run dry. When I add new fuel the next time I make sure I dump it in fast so it mixes well. I just make sure I use quality oil in my mix. I say I run 50:1, but I actually put a 5 gallon bottle of oil mix in the jug and then add 4 1/2 gallons of gas. So, whatever that comes out to? I probably break every rule for fuel storage, because I don't store it long. I mix my saw gas in a heavy, clear/white, plastic, 5 gallon jug, so at a glance I can see it's mix.Within a couple weeks the big jug is empty, and the fuel has been poured into smaller more appropriate jugs. If you try different fuels get back to us. I can't tell any difference in my hands. It's like in high school when we uncapped the headers on our street cars, we KNEW they were going faster, you could hear the power. Then at the track, they ran the same times, capped or uncapped.

Petrol/gas goes bad in 3 ways.
1. The volatile fractions that aid starting evaporate. They are small enough to diffuse through plastic cans even. Not so bad, makes cold starts hard but no more
2. The aromatic compounds (those based on a C6H6 benzene ring) oxidise and form gums and varnishes. These clog lines and carbs, and some can be cleaned but others can't.
3. Ethanol (and other oxidisers) absorb water. Absorb enough and phase separation occurs, a gel of water and ethanol separates to the bottom of the tank and clogs lines. Starting and bad running issues occur as what is left is very low octane.

Also ethanol is bad for some rubbers, absorbing and softening, gunging lines, diaphragms and bulbs.

Keep your fuel in closed, metal cans, cool and dry, add stabilizer to slow aromatic oxidisation and ethenol separation.... But don't expect it to last for ever and don't leave it in machines that sit unused.

Looks like you've lost some good BTU's there. I hope Mrs Jeffkrib makes it worth your while :surprised3:.

Speaking of BTUs, after the winter we've had, I'm down to my last 45 cubes. Maybe I shouldn't have given so much away. Better get scrounging :chainsaw:
Cowboy don’t let the towns folk catch onto the fact that you’re down to 45 cubes, they’ll think you’ve got mental issues with such a small supply.

Neil I remember reading or being told fuel stabilisers don’t do much for 2 stroke fuel. The oil starts separating after 8 weeks and should be used up before that negating the need for stabiliser. Don’t know how true that is, actually I think it may have been my local Stihl dealer who told me.

Like others have said, it's how long you let it sit. I don't think you hide your saws away for long periods. You ran my Super 1050 and that was 87/E, Stihl synthetic. I pretty much go through a gallon every time I pick up a saw. Since Neil got me hooked on these Ickle saws I might get a few more hours of play time, but can run a couple tanks through them pretty quick. I used to get 30 gallons of E free at a time for my Massey 135 that I keep in WV. But, at 50 cents a gallon more, I quit doing that. I just make sure I run the tank dry before I leave. If I plan on being back in a week or two, I shut the fuel valve off and let it run dry. When I add new fuel the next time I make sure I dump it in fast so it mixes well. I just make sure I use quality oil in my mix. I say I run 50:1, but I actually put a 5 gallon bottle of oil mix in the jug and then add 4 1/2 gallons of gas. So, whatever that comes out to? I probably break every rule for fuel storage, because I don't store it long. I mix my saw gas in a heavy, clear/white, plastic, 5 gallon jug, so at a glance I can see it's mix.Within a couple weeks the big jug is empty, and the fuel has been poured into smaller more appropriate jugs. If you try different fuels get back to us. I can't tell any difference in my hands. It's like in high school when we uncapped the headers on our street cars, we KNEW they were going faster, you could hear the power. Then at the track, they ran the same times, capped or uncapped.
I haven't tried the e free gas from that station because iv heard the quality of the gas changes wildly from batch to batch. Heard it enough times that I didn't feel the need to try it. I mix a gallon at a time. Doesnt take long to burn that much mix. So I don't worry about it going bad or use any additives. Mix gas and oil go cut wood don't worry about it.

Back