Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By "sycamore" you mean sycamore maple, and not the London planetree, right? On this side of the pond we call the American planetree "sycamore" and it's comically difficult to split!

Yes, that's right, eurEurop sycamore, or sycamore maple. London plane is a common tree in parks and streets but not for firewood.

As you will know, batteries need a lot of care in his they are charged, stored and cycled, or their capacity is destroyed early. I'd say thats as bad as bad fuel problems
So what are the rules of thumb for lithium batteries? I’m thinking of buying a little Stihl top handle rechargeable saw as my smallest saw (and maybe filling the gap between that and my 550xp at a later date).
It won’t be used that often is that a good or bad thing for batteries ?

Just managed a scrounge, my first for a month or so I think. My usual source just hadn't had any logs in. Tonight I got a text to say 'some sycamore and Willow'. Even after a month without I don't need the willow, but sycamore is easy splitting and easy drying even if it's only a moderate BTU hardwood, so I collected a car load. Was hoping for some big stuff to exercise the 365, but it's all 180 fodder. No matter. A scrounge is a scrounge.

It ain't a scrounge unless you got pics

:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

With the Asian saws, most of it is good, but you have to know what to replace or modify. Use OEM piston pin bearing, mod or replace chain adjuster, etc.

Here is some milling pics you missed of the Black Oak

Attachments

• IMG_20180607_163858453_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180607_163858453_HDR.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20180607_151311417.jpg
    IMG_20180607_151311417.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 12
That's really cool, that's a club I don't want to be in except owning one lol.
I'll have a picture for you probably tomorrow, you'll die laughing when you see it :cheers:.

If you want to sell/trade it sometime let me know, that would be cool to have, unless it's something special from him, couldn't tell from the wording of the post.
I think I will hold on to it for a while longer, Nothing sentimental about the saw, I didnt even know Dad had it until after he passed.

just saw this for sale on facebook. BUT.............$75:crazy2:
37963602_2062473453777478_2025668432636149760_n.jpg

So what are the rules of thumb for lithium batteries? I’m thinking of buying a little Stihl top handle rechargeable saw as my smallest saw (and maybe filling the gap between that and my 550xp at a later date).
It won’t be used that often is that a good or bad thing for batteries ?

As a general rule.... New batteries cost more than a new tool, and you'll need them too soon! Haha!

Tbf, batteries are much better now. But generally, lithium's don't mind top up charging but don't like deep discharge. Store charged or part charged. If you really want to be anal, store part charged and in the fridge, or leave on charge the whole time.... Slow discharge/leakage causes permanent damage to lithium's.

View attachment 670427 Friend had a big dead elm come down just off the parking lot of his restaurant, 4 miles from home. A full load and this load. Good wood for this year.

Love your window sticker! No offense but that is better than the scrounge even though the scrounge is sweet :)

I think I will hold on to it for a while longer, Nothing sentimental about the saw, I didnt even know Dad had it until after he passed.
Well let me know when that day comes.
That was the vibe I got from the post.
just saw this for sale on facebook. BUT.............$75:crazy2:
37963602_2062473453777478_2025668432636149760_n.jpg
That's the ones I like for some reason :).
So last night when I was scrounging the polesaw up the guy gave me this when I was scrounging around his garage, can you believe that right after we were talking about it, just never know when your gonna get the hookup. Praise God :bowdown:.
Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 9.53.37 AM.png

I've got some catching up to do:

About 3 chords now well baked in this pile scrounged late Spring, and another 3 chords out of view around the corner.

View attachment 670454
How much do you burn a yr. the stuff on the right front looks fuzzy lol, theres some fungus on the cherry in this picture as well as the white oak.
Just scrounged this up for delivery today. A good portion of the pile will be getting delivered.
Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 10.32.28 AM.png

Latest posts

Back