Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much do you burn a yr. the stuff on the right front looks fuzzy lol, theres some fungus on the cherry in this picture as well as the white oak.
Just scrounged this up for delivery today. A good portion of the pile will be getting delivered.
View attachment 670455

Re the Fuzzy stuff - :laugh:- ya it's dried moss on that maple. Fall, Winter and Spring in our temperate rain forest makes the stuff grow like crazy over any log and tree. We always cover the wood on palettes as any rain and the moss comes right back to life. August dries it right out completely. Doesn't affect the wood. Actually also makes a nice fire starter.

I burn about 6 cords a year and try to cut another 8+ for neighbours, but this year I only manged to get the time to cut 6 cords. Will have to get serious about scrounging more this next season.

That's a nice pile you've got there :cool:

With the Asian saws, most of it is good, but you have to know what to replace or modify. Use OEM piston pin bearing, mod or replace chain adjuster, etc.

Here is some milling pics you missed of the Black Oak

Wow, that black oak is beautiful clear grained wood. What are you making with it? Guessing it would be worth a small fortune if you had to buy it.

It certainly doesnt clear them well. Was noodling some big maple rounds Monday and it was clog,clear, repeat. Maid me wish I wouldn't have left the 590 at home.

I bought an extra clutch cover without a chain catcher for use on the MS441 when noodling. That cures at least half or more of the clog problems.

I bought an extra clutch cover without a chain catcher for use on the MS441 when noodling. That cures at least half or more of the clog problems.
The chain catcher on the 7910 looks like it's done its job a few times. Its bent a bit up towards the inside of the clutch cover I'm going to straighten it out and see if that helps. It did fine in the oak but choked up in the maple.

The chain catcher on the 7910 looks like it's done its job a few times. Its bent a bit up towards the inside of the clutch cover I'm going to straighten it out and see if that helps. It did fine in the oak but choked up in the maple.
Since Dolkita Parts ain’t cheap you have to find a buy on a used one and cut the bottom third of the clutch cover off. Kinda like a race saw.

Since Dolkita Parts ain’t cheap you have to find a buy on a used one and cut the bottom third of the clutch cover off. Kinda like a race saw.
I've seen videos of these saws clearing noodles with no problems. I don't think it's the clutch cover. If it needs to be noodled I'll just grab the 590 before I cut up a good clutch cover.

Oh yeah. Just a 22 ton but it’s split everything I’ve ever put in it.
That's all that's needed for firewood, I prefer them over the 25/28 tons as they have a quicker stroke, and the 22's are lighter to move around by hand as well as better on fuel.
And a sharp hatchet to cut all the stringers! I did one green red elm and don't want to see another
That's what I'm saying, I would just noodle it all if I had to burn it and didn't have any other wood available.
Standing dead isn’t real bad. Like you I tried 1 green and never again.
Once I was on my computer I thought it looked as though it might be fishers material, but I've never split it that dead/seasoned before.

I've seen videos of these saws clearing noodles with no problems. I don't think it's the clutch cover. If it needs to be noodled I'll just grab the 590 before I cut up a good clutch cover.
Nice load James.
Removing the chain catch does help a lot on the 7910's.
Are you laying the saw flat across the round, if so it helps to tip it slightly so the noodles are a little shorter, the key is to take your time so it doesn't get jammed up. Many of the old front tensioner saws cleared chips/noodles much better than the new ones.

Latest posts

Back