Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
has Asplundh Tree Company cast in the plastic

My first FIL worked for them. Had the longest record for on the job w/o an accident, even though he was an alcoholic. He is the one who taught me how to use a chainsaw … no one else in the family used them. Back then, they were all running Homelite XLs. He was thin and wirery and could climb like a monkey. Like he said to me "I was doing this before they had bucket trucks".

When I asked him why he drank so much, he said to me "Would you climb way up high on that dead tree if you were not drinking"? I told him NO!

Unfortunately, he went out on disability when he was still in his 50s due to the drinking and smoking.

FYI, I don't drink till the days work is done, period!

Looking great. Looks almost as heavy as black spruce. How were the connections back at the wall done? Liking the birdsmouth at the bottom of the braces.

We used 3" deck screws to connect the 2 X 4 to the wall (on the studs), and I drilled the work bench in the back and used the 3" deck screws to connect it to that 2 X 4. To connect the two perpendicular supports I (at a toe nail angle) used 2" deck screws to connect it, so nothing shows on the top.

He did not want it glued in case he needs to remove it for any reason.

Good thinking. I’ve had to remove glued stuff from walls and if good glue was used it usually takes a sizeable amount of sheetrock with it.

Our last house had ceramic toilet paper holders glued to the wall. Broke them trying to remove and then had to literally chisel them off the wall and mud the area.

If he gets a hand saw like this I'd let him stay. It's the 100CC version.
0VCObN3.jpg

On my office walls:
20180823_092951_East 85th Street.jpg
Sadly, the handle was broken long before I got it.

This bad boy is still a bit sharp after many years of total neglect. It's only 6' long.
20180823_094020_East 85th Street.jpg

So do I get to stay if I play nice & promise to share?

Speaking of sharing; I gots a couple of old chainsaws, too.
20180823_094749_East 85th Street.jpg

Big red one in the back is a Mall gear drive. I've never figured out what the other one is.

As a general rule.... New batteries cost more than a new tool, and you'll need them too soon! Haha!

Tbf, batteries are much better now. But generally, lithium's don't mind top up charging but don't like deep discharge. Store charged or part charged. If you really want to be anal, store part charged and in the fridge, or leave on charge the whole time.... Slow discharge/leakage causes permanent damage to lithium's.

I recently bought a DJI drone; it uses expensive lithium batteries. They are VERY specific about charging cycles and how to store them for maximum battery life & capacity.

Full cycling is just fine. Run 'em down to nothing! Well...not quite all the way if you don't want to crash.
Full charging is encouraged if you plan on using the battery again soon. Otherwise: leave it partly charged, but never store it discharged.

Storage is where they get picky: It is apparently very bad to store long at either fully discharged or fully charged. So much so that the batteries have an electronic brain inside them that will automatically discharge a fully charged battery after it sits unused for 10 days. It will discharge down to less than 50% capacity and then leave it there.

These recommendations might be wrong for other batteries, but I suspect the chemistry in all the lithium batteries is about the same. I expect that these are the best practices for other lithium batteries, too.

I recently bought a DJI drone; it uses expensive lithium batteries. They are VERY specific about charging cycles and how to store them for maximum battery life & capacity.

Full cycling is just fine. Run 'em down to nothing! Well...not quite all the way if you don't want to crash.
Full charging is encouraged if you plan on using the battery again soon. Otherwise: leave it partly charged, but never store it discharged.

Storage is where they get picky: It is apparently very bad to store long at either fully discharged or fully charged. So much so that the batteries have an electronic brain inside them that will automatically discharge a fully charged battery after it sits unused for 10 days. It will discharge down to less than 50% capacity and then leave it there.

These recommendations might be wrong for other batteries, but I suspect the chemistry in all the lithium batteries is about the same. I expect that these are the best practices for other lithium batteries, too.

Interesting .... ya I too have heard storing at 50% +/- is ideal, but it's a pain when you want to pick up a tool and go at a long job when you know it's only sitting at 50%

FWIW - Here's what Battery University says:

How to store batteries:
https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/how_to_store_batteries

How to prolong Lithium batteries:
https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

We used 3" deck screws to connect the 2 X 4 to the wall (on the studs), and I drilled the work bench in the back and used the 3" deck screws to connect it to that 2 X 4. To connect the two perpendicular supports I (at a toe nail angle) used 2" deck screws to connect it, so nothing shows on the top.

Thanks. The chain ripple is a nifty look. I wonder, if doing a wider table, the mill could rip on an angle so the ripples are angled across the face of the slabs and then with the slabs created, rip them into four narrower slabs and reverse the orientation of the ripples so it has a funky herringbone type of pattern when laminated together to form the table. Have plugged that into the memory banks and might give it a try this Summer.

On my office walls:
View attachment 670595
Sadly, the handle was broken long before I got it.

This bad boy is still a bit sharp after many years of total neglect. It's only 6' long.
View attachment 670597

So do I get to stay if I play nice & promise to share?

Speaking of sharing; I gots a couple of old chainsaws, too.
View attachment 670596

Big red one in the back is a Mall gear drive. I've never figured out what the other one is.

That mall looks similar to my introduction to chainsaws. 1953 working for a farmer. He decided to fall a big dead tamarach for fenceposts. Put me on the outboard helper handle - 4' bar. Undercut nice, started back cut and the bottom of the tree and stump just shattered. I was 100 ft away and gaining speed when it hit the ground. Came back and that old mall was laying there going 'put, put',put' but the bar had an almost perfect 90 degree bend. All I remember about the model was a 2cyl and that may not even be right.

My first FIL worked for them. Had the longest record for on the job w/o an accident, even though he was an alcoholic. He is the one who taught me how to use a chainsaw … no one else in the family used them. Back then, they were all running Homelite XLs. He was thin and wirery and could climb like a monkey. Like he said to me "I was doing this before they had bucket trucks".

When I asked him why he drank so much, he said to me "Would you climb way up high on that dead tree if you were not drinking"? I told him NO!

Unfortunately, he went out on disability when he was still in his 50s due to the drinking and smoking.

FYI, I don't drink till the days work is done, period!
We knew a lot of Asplundh foremen. Our saw shop owner/mechanic was a retired Asplundh guy. Calentonio, he had been diagnosed with some kind of cancer and they told him to quit drinking and smoking. When ever you saw him he had a big old cigar in his mouth and a beer on the shop bench. Don't know how old he got to be, but it was old enough to call him "Old Man" with no disrespect. Most tree guys I grew up around drank a lot. My Dad and Uncle never did though, maybe that's why they were very successful. Dad owned a residential tree service, so we didn't have much need for a bucket truck. The homes we worked around would never let you drive on the grass. Dad actually bought a pickup truck load of burlap sheets so we could cover the whole yard to keep from getting saw dust in the grass.

glad i didn't get the makita!
slight bar tip angle and/or slightly different chain grind is a small price to pay for the small price you would have paid for the very capable 7910. In almost every other respect it is a superb saw and above all else, well regarded by tens if not hundreds of poster/owners on this site. This is not to say other brands and price points are not as or more capable, rather to raise the point the 79xx saws are not to be sniffed at.

Done? i hope you aren't thinking of leaving the 3-way crotch? If a jobs worth doing..... then again, maybe not!

glad i didn't get the makita!
I bought the 7910 to pull a big bar when I run into big wood. It noodled oak with no issues. The maple is almost gummy which may be part of the problem. If I had a 32 I could probly get two more rounds off the trunk. Biggest bar I have is 24 and you won't get the middle cutting from both sides with the 24.

I bought the 7910 to pull a big bar when I run into big wood. It noodled oak with no issues. The maple is almost gummy which may be part of the problem. If I had a 32 I could probly get two more rounds off the trunk. Biggest bar I have is 24 and you won't get the middle cutting from both sides with the 24.
View attachment 670627 Believe I'm about done hear other then getting the rest of the wood out. Building company is going to bury the small stuff so I don't have to deal with it.View attachment 670628 heres a pic of the noodles that choked up the 7910 the other day. Don't seem excessively long to me.
I beleive its the softwood that causes some of the issues....I noodles some popular with the 395 n it would clog no matter what i tried....

Chip/noodle management is key when cutting, especially with a long bar buried or close.

I got another load of wood out today(theres only a few more loads there), then scrounged some black locust rounds :sweet: out of the woods at my place that I left there last yr, good to clean some things up. The locust is ready to be split:chop: and then burnt this winter :blob2:. I plan on getting a bunch of wood hand split and then load up the wood shed with it as soon as the temps cool down a bit, guess I need to get the side on the woodshed first though lol.
Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 9.27.05 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 9.27.30 PM.png

That mall looks similar to my introduction to chainsaws. 1953 working for a farmer. He decided to fall a big dead tamarach for fenceposts. Put me on the outboard helper handle - 4' bar. Undercut nice, started back cut and the bottom of the tree and stump just shattered. I was 100 ft away and gaining speed when it hit the ground. Came back and that old mall was laying there going 'put, put',put' but the bar had an almost perfect 90 degree bend. All I remember about the model was a 2cyl and that may not even be right.
@turnkey4099 Do any of these look familiar?DSC00140.JPG DSC00141.JPG

Back