Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scrounged up 2 loads with the Tucson today.
Load #1, all Poplar.
Load #2, all Oak.

I ran the hell out of the 245 today. That thing just doesn't stop..... until it runs out of gas...... 1/2 way through the last cut of the day. :nofunny: Typical.
Still working on a date for the oak removal by the high school here. I rode by on the motorcycle today and they had the house demode so I would think the trees would be coming down soon.

Couldn’t help......but couldn’t Hurt!!!
A LOT of crap in the bark to eat chains.
I just got a Diamond wheel for carbide chains.
And getting a tiny wheel to sharpen those 1/4 micro on the 150 and pole saws.
Dern 1/8” file bends easy and hard to hold that tiny chain.
Grind it....

View attachment 675113 @chipper1 Here’s the pic of the final haul from the locust. I did get the trailer in there to save a second trip with just the truck. Not as much as I thought but a good score. Should have taken a pic of the brush pile, man those things have a lot of branches.
I thought it looked a lot bigger diameter in the pictures.
Those branches burn nice :blob2:.
Another thing on that locust tree “job.” Turns out 82 year old Bob has Alzheimer’s. So all day I had an audience and as soon as the saw shut off I listened to him tell me about growing up on a farm and his first job working for J.V. Hammond timber company running “Homalite” and “Mucala” saws. He was actually a pretty cool guy, his wife kept yelling at him to quit bothering me, told her he wasn’t bothering me and we’ld bs. I was there 4 1/2 hrs, probably could have been done in 2 but the stories were cool. 2 things from this, #1, she was so happy with me being Bob’s buddy she gave me $100 instead of the $50 I asked for. #2, we’re all getting older, someday if I get that old I hope somebody appreciates my stories about them “old Echo” saws.
That's great, made a friend and a little extra cash to boot.
That's awesome, sounds like there was an echo there lol.
I like listening to the older guys talk :popcorn2:.

Sounds like if it cant pull at least 3/8lp it should stay home in those conditions.
Actually.......they are Very handy.
Like my “Dam Saw” an Echo 280 top handle with an 8” bar.
For cutting trees on the steep faces of dams.
Any longer bar and you have no leverage.
Or cut closer to the power head and stick the tip in the dirt.
If you need more than an 8” bar you are way late on facing the dam.
I usually wade in with a top handle and a 70 cc saw

55/60 at night 70/80 days and sunny up here in the Great White North , it looks like it'll drop next Monday maybe .

Hey Cowboy , tendinitis in the left elbow for the last month and a bit , it sure sucks to hold a chainsaw by the end of the day but I still got that houselot done .
Ice and naproxen not much relief .
Other that not doing anything for a bit or an amputation , any suggestions ?
I've been toughing it out so far so more pain at the end of the day just lets me know I'm alive , I just don't want to drop a beer if I grab it with the left hand lol

G'day! Turn my back on this thread and there's 10 pages to read through. Spent a coupla days down in Melbourne, watched my boys get up in the footy semi final. If we win next week we're into the grand final (think Superbowl with 100,000 people packed into the MCG). We haven't taken out a premiership since 1964 so things are getting exciting!

Re. the elbow, there's a couple of other things that can mimic tendonitis and you need to exclude those before you assume anything. Two questions, 1: Do you have any pain above the elbow, and, 2: can you straighten the elbow fully without pain? We can do this by PM.

First fire of the seasonView attachment 674798

Always nice to get the first one lit. I normally do it before it is actually cold enough for the fire and then end up opening up the house to let the heat out. We had a front go through yesterday and it got down to freezing overnight and mebbe 50°F today so the fire is going today. Otherwise we are burning at either end of the day now.

Another thing on that locust tree “job.” Turns out 82 year old Bob has Alzheimer’s. So all day I had an audience and as soon as the saw shut off I listened to him tell me about growing up on a farm and his first job working for J.V. Hammond timber company running “Homalite” and “Mucala” saws. He was actually a pretty cool guy, his wife kept yelling at him to quit bothering me, told her he wasn’t bothering me and we’ld bs. I was there 4 1/2 hrs, probably could have been done in 2 but the stories were cool. 2 things from this, #1, she was so happy with me being Bob’s buddy she gave me $100 instead of the $50 I asked for. #2, we’re all getting older, someday if I get that old I hope somebody appreciates my stories about them “old Echo” saws.

I'm only 31 and I've always enjoyed listening to old timers tell their stories than kids my age ******** to me about how cool they are. It's a respect type thing, I'd rather have the respect of my elders than anyone my age. Same time though, I know some guys in their 20's more mature than some in their 50's.

I'm only 31 and I've always enjoyed listening to old timers tell their stories than kids my age ******** to me about how cool they are. It's a respect type thing, I'd rather have the respect of my elders than anyone my age. Same time though, I know some guys in their 20's more mature than some in their 50's.
When I was a kid we used to visit an Old Folks home.
One guy there used to build Steam Locomotives....
Interesting every time

Dam....this place is like the “Fight Thread” .......
Hey Rob!!! :hi: This is the cool kids thread. :rock2: cars,guns,whiskey,maple syrup and some times firewood and chainsaws.:laugh: Mini GTG here on the hill around the 2nd or 3rd saturday of Novembrrrrrr.

I know some guys in their 20's more mature than some in their 50's.
There's plenty of those. Go hang out in the ghetto. 50yr old adults that aren't smart enough to operate a toilet. I know. I have to fix the toilets when they they think a half a roll of tp will fit in a toilet. And if I dont get to it soon enough some other ghetto dummass will fit another half roll on top of that.

G'day! Turn my back on this thread and there's 10 pages to read through. Spent a coupla days down in Melbourne, watched my boys get up in the footy semi final. If we win next week we're into the grand final (think Superbowl with 100,000 people packed into the MCG). We haven't taken out a premiership since 1964 so things are getting exciting!

Re. the elbow, there's a couple of other things that can mimic tendonitis and you need to exclude those before you assume anything. Two questions, 1: Do you have any pain above the elbow, and, 2: can you straighten the elbow fully without pain? We can do this by PM.

Always nice to get the first one lit. I normally do it before it is actually cold enough for the fire and then end up opening up the house to let the heat out. We had a front go through yesterday and it got down to freezing overnight and mebbe 50°F today so the fire is going today. Otherwise we are burning at either end of the day now.
Please do it hear as we all run into these issues from time to time and would like to learn, well at least I do.

I usually still have the A/C window units in still when I light the fire the first time which let's some of the cooler air in, really helps in the shoulder season.

Hey Rob!!! :hi: This is the cool kids thread. :rock2: cars,guns,whiskey,maple syrup and some times firewood and chainsaws.:laugh: Mini GTG here on the hill around the 2nd or 3rd saturday of Novembrrrrrr.
Is that around the time you expect to not need a boat to get to the two mulberries in the lower field :rolleyes:.

That sounds fun, you gonna have the 462 by then :rock:.
Why a 79xx Dolmar has the same specs and is cheaper:innocent:.

Latest posts

Back