Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice score.
Do some research on that before you start running modern factory ammo through that. The bolt on those locks at the rear. It's not nearly as strong as the more cloned/imitated Mauser bolt with the front locking lugs.
Thanks Bobby. On the Savage 1899's the cut off point was serial number 90,000. After that they had special heat treating for smokeless powder, even though the first 303 Savage was designed as a smokeless round. Back in the day Savage would convert the 1899 bolt to the newer improved bolt for $5. This one is serial 122xxx so I'm good to go.

The 30-30 isn’t loaded hot......
And the 99 is fine with pressure.... chambered in 308.........
They are slick rifles.
You can use Pointy Bullets
They were chambered in 308,243, 284, 375 and 358, but you can't rechamber a pre 1 million rifle to the 308 class of cartridges. They did some factory grinding inside so they would fit in the magazine. Gotta go, the bacon is burning!

Very fine......Marbles sights?
This one has upgraded special order Savage #21 rear and the Rocky Mountain Knife Blade front, which became standard in 1911. I have a couple with Marbles and Lyman tang peep sights.
90tYG04.jpg

They were chambered in 308,243, 284, 375 and 358, but you can't rechamber a pre 1 million rifle to the 308 class of cartridges. They did some factory grinding inside so they would fit in the magazine. Gotta go, the bacon is burning!
Thanks.
But I got NO problems with rear locking lugs.....bolts included.

42.5gr of Varget under 168gr Barnes TTSX, 2.80" OAL= sub MOA tack driver
Thanks.
My recipe was from a gun writer in a pre 64 Old Man Hart built for him.....had it for a while.
5 shots groups. Five groups under 1/4 inch in a row.
Sure wasn’t me. Lol
Said his finger was tired. Stock trigger.
28” 1 1/4” OD SS barrel.
Bob Bell could shoot

Latest posts

Back