Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys and your silly little 308's. :D

88gr of H-1000 under 300gr Bergers. It dings. From a LONG way away.
I work with a retired marine who shoots long range competition on a regular basis. He shoots 6.5 because in his opinion the big rounds are a waist of powder if your only putting holes in paper or ringing gongs. A 338 would be fun but the 30-06, 308, 300 win mag are cheaper and more practical for any civilian application.

I work with a retired marine who shoots long range competition on a regular basis. He shoots 6.5 because in his opinion the big rounds are a waist of powder if your only putting holes in paper or ringing gongs. A 338 would be fun but the 30-06, 308, 300 win mag are cheaper and more practical for any civilian application.
Oh practically be dammed.......I got a 375 H&H for woodchucks.......they can be tough.

Don t know if any you guys ever heard of Frank
Buck (Bring em back alive Buck) . He was a big game hunter n was hired to bring different specimens back to the US for zoos n such in the early 1900s.
He is my 3rd cousin.....my moms 2nd cousin....her maiden name was Buck.
My mom left me one of his Double barreled rifle...(her dad gave it to her). Its .505 Gibbs.....I don't have a safe anymore so I keep it in a safe place....I'll get some pics sometime here...

Buck (Bring em back alive Buck) . He was a big game hunter n was hired to bring different specimens back to the US for zoos n such in the early 1900s.
My mom left me one of his Double barreled rifle...(her dad gave it to her). Its .505 Gibbs.....I don't have a safe anymore so I keep it in a safe place....I'll get some pics sometime here...
We've talked guns face to face and you never mentioned a double rifle. I thought we were friends :popcorn2:.

I did alot of research on rechambering my 243 to 260Rem because the 6.5's ARE badass, but they aren't shooting 1,600yds in sniper competitions.

I have to agree with Jim. While I really like to play with odd ball calibers, like my 348 Winchester and 220 Swift, my current hunting rifle is a hot loaded 06, and I have taken the vast majority of my deer with a slightly down loaded 300 Win Mag. So, I guess I kinda gravitate to a 30 cal at about 300 H+H velocities.

That said, the 308 makes an excellent all around hunting cartridge.

For practical purposes, the 30 cal cartridges are just real hard to beat. They hit hard, are VG in heavy brush (with the right bullets, and I've had problems with 270 in brush), and shoot flat enough for open field shots.

I've been on a mission for 30 years to find Frank Bucks Savage 99, he's carrying it in most of his movies. I'd at least like to find out what year, model, and caliber it is.

W.D.M Bell took 800 elephants with the 275 Rigby. So why not 375 for whistle pigs.
275 Rigby AFTER he couldn’t get his favorite round.
6.5x54mm MS.......I just got an action to work on. It has to be butterknifed and stoned........long way off.
Bells Estate cane still be visited and stayed at.

I have to agree with Jim. While I really like to play with odd ball calibers, like my 348 Winchester and 220 Swift, my current hunting rifle is a hot loaded 06, and I have taken the vast majority of my deer with a slightly down loaded 300 Win Mag. So, I guess I kinda gravitate to a 30 cal at about 300 H+H velocities.

That said, the 308 makes an excellent all around hunting cartridge.

For practical purposes, the 30 cal cartridges are just real hard to beat. They hit hard, are VG in heavy brush (with the right bullets, and I've had problems with 270 in brush), and shoot flat enough for open field shots.
Lol
I’ve never had “the latest rifle”
Never had a bolt gun for years. All single shot.
First was when I became 2nd owner to a Model 54.
Like you Mike....a Model 71.......a special one.

FRANK BUCK!!!!
Wow..... 505 is a HORSE!!!!!
Never saw one in a double. Very cool

Answered the phone today and heard, “A couple small trees came down on the back pasture fence. You can have the wood if you want it”. Place is 200 yards up the road, no brainer. @James Miller, thanks for the info on the 3/8 lp conversion on the 490. Didn’t run it much but it sure cut nice. Not a huge amount of wood but that close to home is nice.

Attachments

• 4B2C854B-B917-4EC4-BD78-B95A57AFC718.jpeg
    4B2C854B-B917-4EC4-BD78-B95A57AFC718.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 20

Latest posts

Back