Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@James Miller , got to run that 490 set up with 3/8 lp a bit more tonight. 8-10” hickory limb snapped off on the neighbors pasture fence, hooked up the truck and drug it in the yard. That 490 impressed me. Give it a good work out Monday. 80 year old guy down the road talked the guys clearing the gas pipeline to stack the trees at his place. Asked me to cut them up for him. Mostly cherry and maple up to about 15”.

I have a Stihl, can’t believe I said that, peavey. Anybody have experience with the optional attachment for lifting a log to cut it? Wondering if it’s worth the $40. Thanks.
The optional stand makes it a 'Timberjack'. I have used these with other cant hooks / Peaveys. They work, especially for cutting one log. But as @rarefish383 noted, there are other options. Matter of preference.

Philbert

We have 2” of rain since 3 PM with much more coming. So far we have 7” in the past week. Insane. Hoping this makes for a dry winter.

Was right around 6-3/4 before this evening, I don't think we got 2" but man, the rain's come down hard this year. This week it's rained so hard that it's cleaned all the chicken **** off of the sidewalk, regular garden hose don't have enough pressure to do that!

So , over the years I've laid scrounging tools down in the woods and then spent time looking for them an hour later (Or even less) :(
All the colors of gear get dirty and then eventually blend into the flora , who needs camo ?
I decided to start painting my gear a color that you won't find naturally so it will stand out even if it gets dirty , as long as one bit retains color , I should be able to find it ;)

7f7711efcfac3a9dd1fce86976ddb2bd.jpg

Blue , the only color I've not seen on the forest floor :)

You might still lose that if you set it down around here in the spring.
jkkqpx.jpg

Was the log jack from Tractor Supply? Almost bought one of those, over half the reviews were a 1 rating for that same reason.
Yep, it was a cheapy from the get go. They threw it in free when I bought my splitter. I found that even with the good ones they really only work on stuff 10-12 inches. I tried one on a 24" Oak log and it was harder trying to get it up than it was to roll the whole log. The other thing I don't like is I never cut the blocks nice and square being on a slant. As I've said before, I have the ultimate case of OCD. All my wood is cut at 18", if it's off more than half an inch it goes on the burn pile. :)

@James Miller , got to run that 490 set up with 3/8 lp a bit more tonight. 8-10” hickory limb snapped off on the neighbors pasture fence, hooked up the truck and drug it in the yard. That 490 impressed me. Give it a good work out Monday. 80 year old guy down the road talked the guys clearing the gas pipeline to stack the trees at his place. Asked me to cut them up for him. Mostly cherry and maple up to about 15”.
I feel like it works well on that saw. It's not a hot rod in the 50cc class plus I just cant file 325 dont know why but I screw it up every time.

Yep, it was a cheapy from the get go. They threw it in free when I bought my splitter. I found that even with the good ones they really only work on stuff 10-12 inches. I tried one on a 24" Oak log and it was harder trying to get it up than it was to roll the whole log. The other thing I don't like is I never cut the blocks nice and square being on a slant. As I've said before, I have the ultimate case of OCD. All my wood is cut at 18", if it's off more than half an inch it goes on the burn pile. :)
My wood racks wood give you a brain aneurism then :crazy2:.

Back