Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are at 4" since 3PM yesterday. Has rain constantly but at least steady versus downpour so no more road washouts. We have had 9 inches in the last 10 days and have 4 more days of rain in the forecast. Will it ever end?!

4'' doesn't sound like much, but it all depends on your location and what the area can take as far as rainfall go's.
Harvey dumped an estimated 56'' but I don't know if thats a total for the event or in 24 hours.
Up until Harvey it was down in Freeport Texas that got the official record rainfall in 24 hours and that was 48'' in 24 hours. I don't remember what storm did that though.
4'' is common around here during thunderstorms though.
I hope you guys fare better then we did during Harvey, it was a freakin mess down here. For us Harvey was a water even more then a wind event. There wasn't a lot of wind damage but we sure got a lot of water.
Hopping the best for all that are affected.

A small trailer would carry more then your bucket. I bet you could pull more then you can carry.
The little trailer on the truck will hold exactly 1/2 cord. My JD 265 with 17hp Kawasaki will pull it around the house and in the yard no problem. Just don't try to go down hill in the yard, you'll meet the neighbor at the bottom.
XdrZyAc.jpg

What's the temperature range of "biting cold"...or "stinging cold"?

Well , the way I see it according to the map

aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4tc25vd2JvYXJkaW5nLnRyYW5zd29ybGQubmV0L2Jsb2dzLmRpci80NDIvZmlsZXMvMjAxOC8wOC9vbGQtZmFybWVycy1hbG1hbmFjLXdpbnRlci0yMDE5LXR3c25vdy1mb3JlY2FzdC1jYW5hZGEtMTAwMHg2NTguanBn

There's no such thing as stinging cold or biting cold .
Wolf Blitzer must have invented the terms to keep you Southerners entertained , we just have mild , normal or just plain old cold up here in Igloo .

Several towns have damage. Lots of free firewood available. Looking at heading down with one of my groups. Some folks are coordinating now.

Philbert

Hate getting my wood that way, but we help folks in time of need. Good on you and your buddies. Stay safe.

G'day scroungers,

I haven't been around here very much but I have been out and about a bit. I went back to the last scrounge spot and had another go at the same log - prolly red box. Right nearby there is a big old grey box that forked not far up and one fork broke off, some time ago by the look of it. Someone has already cleaned up the smaller end of it and left the rest. It is a little buried and not easy to get without cutting dirt so there's more time and effort to get it cleanly so it can wait.

View attachment 675735

Grey box is one of the best Aussie firewood species with a 12% MC density of 1120kg/m which is a whole another level from most wood. I have plans for that log, mega BTUs :sweet:.

So I went back to the previous log I had a crack at last week. The bits I left behind were still there.

View attachment 675739

Sliced off a few more big wheels. Doesn't take many of these to fill my little trailer.

View attachment 675733

The termite dirt in the middle doesn't do much for the chain sharpness but it does make these big rounds easier to split.

View attachment 675734

Not sure why I took this pic but might as well include it. Maybe I was having a breather.

View attachment 675736

View attachment 675737

There's still some left in this log, might make another couple of trips to get the rest of this log and the grey box.

View attachment 675738

:)
Nice work, and nice load.
That stuff looks a lot like white oak here which is some great wood for burning :blob2:.
That would sure pull several ickle trailers sticky taped together. I had a look at the process for importing and registering a LHD vehicle and it's not pretty. How many miles?

Did you check to make sure they were using the grinders correctly? Good on you blokes for doing this. Of course, we'll need some more pics.

Hey @dancan ! I didn't forget you and your elbow. I'm not certain we have excluded the elbow joint as opposed to the common extensor origin at the lateral epicondyle but we can try something for the tendon and if that doesn't work we can revisit the joint. So, the lateral epicondyle is the pointy bit on the outside of the elbow that you hit as you walk through a doorway sometimes. The muscles that bend the wrist and fingers backwards (that movement is called extension) have a common tendon that attaches to this point which is just above the elbow joint. So these muscles cross both the elbow and the wrist joints. This is an important point for the exercise I'm going to suggest.

Now, tendon complaints, once they are past the initial inflammatory response of a few days up to a couple of weeks, respond best to what are called eccentric exercises. With muscle contractions, concentric is where the muscle is working and shortening - so in the case of your biceps, bending the elbow would be the result of a concentric bicep contraction. Isometric is where the muscle is working but not shortening or lengthening - think flexing in front of the mirror. Eccentric contractions are where the muscle is lengthening under load - a lowering contraction like when you are putting something down. Eccentric exercises work best for tendonitis. Now, these extensor muscles pass in front of the axis of rotation of the elbow so they help to bend the elbow when they contract, as well as bend the wrist back. When you make a fist, you will see the wrist bend backwards (which helps to keep the flexor muscles on the other side of the forearm at the optimum length for gripping). So the extensor muscles will be working when you make a fist and if you then straighten the elbow, they will be forced to lengthen under load - ie. the eccentric contraction. It will probably hurt a bit. Now, how hard you clench the fist will determine how much it hurts and we are wanting to produce about 2/10 pain where 0/10 is no pain and 10/10 pain is getting kicked in the scones by Jackie Chan wearing steelcaps.

Keep in mind that tendon rehab is a process of adaptation so it won't happen instantaneously. You will also benefit from going a bit easy on the elbow doing other things. In particular, lifting stuff with the palm facing down is asking for it as it will load up the tendon significantly, lifting palm up is likely to be ok.

In summary:
1. Clench fist as hard or gently as it takes to produce 2/10 pain
2. Smoothly straighten elbow from about 60 degrees to absolutely full extent. Remember, 2/10 pain
3. Do 10 times. Nice and smooth, no need to hold it at the end, should take about 20 secs to do the set
4. Do that 3-4 times per day.

Hopefully you will find that as days pass, you will need to clench the fist harder to produce the 2/10 pain. That means the tendon is strengthening up. If not much happens then it may mean that the joint is the problem and will need to address that.

Any questions?
Thanks for sharing so we could all see it :clap:.
plus a 45cc saw that has been monkeyed with
So when you gonna get one:lol:.

Not really. Its in the shop getting transmission cooler lines replaced right now but nothing major. I have it listed for $8K but I was throwing in the scroungers discount. :D
I'd be interested in more details :yes:.
What engine.
Link to the ad.
Thanks.

So , over the years I've laid scrounging tools down in the woods and then spent time looking for them an hour later (Or even less) :(
All the colors of gear get dirty and then eventually blend into the flora , who needs camo ?
I decided to start painting my gear a color that you won't find naturally so it will stand out even if it gets dirty , as long as one bit retains color , I should be able to find it ;)

7f7711efcfac3a9dd1fce86976ddb2bd.jpg

Blue , the only color I've not seen on the forest floor :)
That's a great color.
I can't tell you how many times I've set my chains at the base of a tree so I could find them and then I can't find them :rare2:.
The only problem I can see is if someone throws one to you :eek:.

Had some time today so I filled some bins with some scrounged oak and locust. About a 1/4 cord per bin. 1 gets level filled so I can double stack in the pole barn.
View attachment 676075 View attachment 676076
Looks great Steve.
Locust and white oak :sweet:
I need a bigger tractor. This is all mine will carry in one trip.View attachment 676081
Locust and a Kubota :sweet:.
Is that Black Oak??? Looks like it to me.
Black Locust :sweet:
Locust is what I was told.
Locust :sweet:.

Guess which 2 my wife stacked and which one I stacked? Here's a hint, if you're selling then you want hers, if you're buying then you want mine.
View attachment 676130 View attachment 676131 View attachment 676132
Looks good.
I think she was taught to put the bark up at some point :).
The fact that she did it and I wouldn't have to is a great selling point to me, I'd just add a bit to the top and make a few more crates:cheers:.
You've got a great woman there :numberone:.

Back