Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just stay here cuz I run HOOSKVAHNA

That's how I say it. I like to say "Stihl" with a German accent too. People say it's pretentious, but they're just jealous.

Really strong winds here tonight, can hear trees going down all around. Already had a neighbor call and ask if I wanted a tree that came down near the barn. She said just leave the brush she would take care of that, gotta love that part.

Stay safe. It was windy down here earlier, but calmed down, only a few strong gusts. Supposed to be fairly windy tomorrow.

Spent some time in the bush yesterday. Also spent some time there this afternoon after the rain stopped. It was pretty wet but I was just gonna cut down and drag a few to the landing. Got a flat tire on the tractor just before dark. Had to walk home, 1/2 mile thru the corn to get the 4 wheeler and a trailer. Dang nut fell off the hitch bolt and the trailer kept falling off. Then I got to the tractor and the 24" power bar had somehow fallen out of the trailer. Another speed run home to grab another one. Got it changed but it was pretty dark by then. Have been lucky enough to smash all the lights off the tractor this summer. I hooked a chain onto the grapple and the front of the wheeler to drag it all home. Was a fun ride 1/2 mile thru the bush in the pretty much dark by then. Some days I should just quit early. Got home late and my wife had already left for the night. Chocolate milk for supper I guess.
20181020_190059.jpg 20181020_190052.jpg 20181020_171907.jpg 20181020_204245.jpg

Spent some time in the bush yesterday. Also spent some time there this afternoon after the rain stopped. It was pretty wet but I was just gonna cut down and drag a few to the landing. Got a flat tire on the tractor just before dark. Had to walk home, 1/2 mile thru the corn to get the 4 wheeler and a trailer. Dang nut fell off the hitch bolt and the trailer kept falling off. Then I got to the tractor and the 24" power bar had somehow fallen out of the trailer. Another speed run home to grab another one. Got it changed but it was pretty dark by then. Have been lucky enough to smash all the lights off the tractor this summer. I hooked a chain onto the grapple and the front of the wheeler to drag it all home. Was a fun ride 1/2 mile thru the bush in the pretty much dark by then. Some days I should just quit early. Got home late and my wife had already left for the night. Chocolate milk for supper I guess.
View attachment 680817 View attachment 680818 View attachment 680819 View attachment 680820
At least the milk container wasn’t empty.

Being in agreement it’s @James Miller, this is generally the safest thread to ask advice. No, I’m not a snowflake, just don’t like idiots. I have a pair of Stihl chaps, can’t stand how the section below the knees always turns exposing the calf. Anybody wear full wrap lower chaps that they would recommend? As of now I’m looking at Echo and Labonville. Any suggestions? And yes, I do own 2 Stihl products, the chaps and a peavey, I like the peavey.

F5DA90AC-E661-4ACD-BA3E-B3D594BF44EC.jpeg Buddy had about 10 trees dropped back in the spring, I was all over the cleanup and subsequent scrounge but haven’t been back with a saw until today. I cut the stumps as flush as I could. Boy does that dull a chain quickly! Also had my first flippy cap malfunction, oil tank all over my tailgate! What a mess. Anyways, I got a couple pieces and a dinner for my trouble and it felt good to run a saw.

View attachment 680836 Buddy had about 10 trees dropped back in the spring, I was all over the cleanup and subsequent scrounge but haven’t been back with a saw until today. I cut the stumps as flush as I could. Boy does that dull a chain quickly! Also had my first flippy cap malfunction, oil tank all over my tailgate! What a mess. Anyways, I got a couple pieces and a dinner for my trouble and it felt good to run a saw.
When I get chains for each saw that have had their last sharpening because cutters are too short I take that chain, put it in a zip lock baggie and write stump chain on the bag and it goes in the case with the corresponding saw. That way if I’m cutting a stump or something where the chain might get toasted I don’t cry, I knew the chain had 1 foot in the grave anyway.

I like my Stihls, and most of them run real strong, but I don't bash anyone for choosing another brand (or two, or three). As the old saying goes, "there is more than one way to skin a cat." There are also good says by more than one maker. If it does what you want, how you want it, it is a good saw … period!

Fri/Sat was at the cabin, cleared shooting lanes, repaired 2 tree stands, moved some wood into the cabin (we took it all out when we did the concrete floor). Good weather yesterday, but today was wind and rain. So I got a lot of work done, but I cut my tree stand time short due to the wind, then left early due to the recurring rain. Bad enough I was up there solo (2 mi in on a 4wd road), but when the tree starts swaying, and it is only 20' away from my old stand which is now flat on the ground, I get out. I did see a Turkey (first time in a long time on my property), and buck sign, so I'm not disappointed. Used to see Turkey all the time up there, then nothing for years … strange!

I see them in yards all the time, and when I first got my property, you saw them on a regular basis. Then, it just seems like they either disappeared or moved. I see them elsewhere, but have not seen one on my property for many years!

Coming off the mountain there were two of them in a field 20 yds from a horse.

I see them in yards all the time, and when I first got my property, you saw them on a regular basis. Then, it just seems like they either disappeared or moved. I see them elsewhere, but have not seen one on my property for many years!

Coming off the mountain there were two of them in a field 20 yds from a horse.
#1 problem, coyotes. You’re probably in coyote heaven up there.

Wish I had known. Just got done flipping a really clean 377. I would have split shipping with ya. I’ll keep my eyes open but Shinnys are pretty rare in my area.
Thanks for that. I'm quite keen to see what i can pick up locally and used. I have a hunch there are quite a few people here who might buy them that then let them go cheap. It's for friends who don't have much money and only occasional use for a saw, so I've got me feelers out for something and hopefully the right deal comes along.

Back