Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being in agreement it’s @James Miller, this is generally the safest thread to ask advice. No, I’m not a snowflake, just don’t like idiots. I have a pair of Stihl chaps, can’t stand how the section below the knees always turns exposing the calf. Anybody wear full wrap lower chaps that they would recommend? As of now I’m looking at Echo and Labonville. Any suggestions? And yes, I do own 2 Stihl products, the chaps and a peavey, I like the peavey.
I’ve been using the labonville chaps for the past couple years. The wrap is nice to avoid the situation that is happening with your current chaps. I have no complaints with them so far.

I like my Stihls, and most of them run real strong, but I don't bash anyone for choosing another brand (or two, or three). As the old saying goes, "there is more than one way to skin a cat." There are also good says by more than one maker. If it does what you want, how you want it, it is a good saw … period!

Fri/Sat was at the cabin, cleared shooting lanes, repaired 2 tree stands, moved some wood into the cabin (we took it all out when we did the concrete floor). Good weather yesterday, but today was wind and rain. So I got a lot of work done, but I cut my tree stand time short due to the wind, then left early due to the recurring rain. Bad enough I was up there solo (2 mi in on a 4wd road), but when the tree starts swaying, and it is only 20' away from my old stand which is now flat on the ground, I get out. I did see a Turkey (first time in a long time on my property), and buck sign, so I'm not disappointed. Used to see Turkey all the time up there, then nothing for years … strange!
Mike I could put you down for having a Mustang with ten ported Stihls in it........... But a can’t because I’m just jealous :(

My favourite is a 310. Heavy clamshell non-pro saw that got me through some very tough years and is still running.

Same here. Bought mine in the 2nd year of production and was my go-to for many years. Mostly a shelf queen no, well used, still runs but I moved on to the pro saws MS361 & 362, MS441CM. Still drag out the 310 when I have a job to do around the house.

I'm pretty brand specific and the guys that know me, no my saws. I think the Homelite Super 1050 was one of the best saws ever made,and I still have two of them. Love Echo's and Mac's, and if I need a new saw it's usually a Stihl. Almost went over to Husky with a 3120. I called my local dealer and told him I had cash in hand and wanted a 3120 with 24, 36, and 60" bars. He said he was busy and would call back in a couple hours. Sat around waiting all afternoon, no call back. Next day he said he was busy, short handed, and forgot. OK, I understand that. But, still no price, third day, same thing. Fourth day, never mind, bought a Stihl. How can you forget a guy waving 25 $100 bills in your face? I guess more than brand specific, I'm era specific. Most of my saws are older than a lot of AS members and I'm not real impressed with Wiz Bang stuff, unless it's a Homelite Wiz. Sure hot rod saws are like hot rod cars, they run better, faster, louder. But, one of my 1050's put in 20plus years in commercial service then 20 more years of me dogging on it milling, and it will still walk the dog on my 660. The biggest honor ever paid to one of my 1050's was when JamesMiller cut a couple cookies with it, set it down, and said "Needs more bar". It's kind of like me, old, fat, and tired. But, It can still walk the dog!

When I get chains for each saw that have had their last sharpening because cutters are too short I take that chain, put it in a zip lock baggie and write stump chain on the bag and it goes in the case with the corresponding saw. That way if I’m cutting a stump or something where the chain might get toasted I don’t cry, I knew the chain had 1 foot in the grave anyway.
Same here. I just put the old chain in the box the new one came in and label what saw it’s for. I have a stump bar as well.

Does not matter if it is deer or turkey, farming really brings them in. Hunting my mountain top property is a real get away, but far fewer deer, and they are woods deer. They pick you up sooner and stay away much longer. It is far more difficult, but can also be rewarding. Also, since they changed the hunting rules in NYS (rifle was only allowed in the Adirondacks and Catskills in the past) there is less hunting pressure, with makes it far easier for the deer to just stay away from you.

Most of the deer you get are when you are in your stand, and someone else pushed them to you. Otherwise, it is like looking for a needle in a haystack, unless there is snow, I love hunting in the snow. You can identify fresh sign, and see them much further away in the heavy brush. And this new 3 point per side rule makes it almost ridiculous. Try counting points with a deer standing in thick cover! "Please hold still, turn you head a little more this way …"

They went to a three point rule when I was living in Mississippi. It really did a lot for deer management and I liked it. You don’t really have to count them if you can get a head on look. If the antlers are wider than the ears, it’s a pretty good bet he’s a shooter. I agree it can be challenging in heavy brush.

Got this one yesterday, just took him off the scale, 194 pounds. Heaviest deer I have ever taken.
r0jHDfF.jpg

It snowed Wednesday. It snowed yesterday a bit and some today. All melted but is telling of things to come. I have been winterizing the trailer, storing my boats away and sigh, the splitter. It went to its winter home under the deck today. Unless something amazing falls in my lap, I am done with wood for the year except for stacking more of what I’ve already split and of course burning.

That’s exactly what was wrong with the homelite I found at the dump!
It maid one cut and died when my buddy gunned it to start the next. I pulled it over and had almost no compression that was enough. Went to the truck pulled muffler P/C are spotless. Decided to pull plug and check it and found that. New plug it fired on one pull and back to work. My heart dropped for a second though.

I still managed to get two loads cut and piled up at home. It was even snowing as I finished unloading the logs. I even found my 24" socket power bar in the bush, it was about 200' from where I blew the tire. Grandson helped load the last load, smartazz brought a flashlight with him. I could have used it last night.
20181021_104413.jpg 20181021_111445.jpg 20181021_101211.jpg

Latest posts

Back