Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe, I see an oddly long split that seems over 18" on the left of your first pic, ha ha...
It's an optical confusion. It's been pushed in so it's even with the others now. :) Friends were supposed to come get those piles. If they were being stacked for me or a customer, they would never be that sloppy.

Anybody ever scrounge Bradford Pear? My dad had a wind storm over at his place that split a couple Pear trees right down the middle. The tree was mostly leaves and branches, not a lot of wood. The wood in my truck is from one tree. If it sucks as firewood, I’ll just burn it in my fire pit, out back.
f7d67308693ce85408a15354011474e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a fruit tree. Sell it somebody that barbecues a lot. Or...smoke something yourself with it!

December 4th. They gave me Oxycodone the last time. It might have felt like a 1 beer buzz, then I fell asleep. As far as pain management while working out, I found that with out it the pain started as soon as I started the workout. With it, I would get about 10 minutes into the workout before the pain started, but the level of pain was about the same. I guess I would get more range of motion for the first 10 minutes while using the meds.

That's what I'm on, honestly, I'd rather have a beer but my bipedal wife will not abide...

Yeah, I'm noticing with my at-home exercises, the pain goes from tolerable to extremely uncomfortable within a few minutes. PT is going to be a challenge, but that's the road ahead. When this bottle is done, it's done.

It's an optical confusion. It's been pushed in so it's even with the others now. :) Friends were supposed to come get those piles. If they were being stacked for me or a customer, they would never be that sloppy.

Probably the meds got me cornfused... ha ha ha I've seen your stacks in person, they're indeed tidy and neat. Once I'm upright again and driving I'll have to pay you a visit after work.

Why are you using a furnace?!
Small stove we let it go out overnight and furnace keeps my water from freezing in the cellar.
img20171208_084125.jpg

img20171208_085136.jpg

Still fantasize about plumbing the house for a boiler. Should be more affordable with pex. Last time I plumbed a house for a boiler it was about $1100 for copper and registers. Can't imagine running copper has gotten any cheaper.

Anybody ever scrounge Bradford Pear? My dad had a wind storm over at his place that split a couple Pear trees right down the middle. The tree was mostly leaves and branches, not a lot of wood. The wood in my truck is from one tree. If it sucks as firewood, I’ll just burn it in my fire pit, out back.
f7d67308693ce85408a15354011474e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what the bradfords are known for. I hate em and they are below pit wood to me. Now yours is twice the size I cut. Storm damage a few yrs ago, wouldn't have done it other than helpin family out. Since you did the work anyway, may as well burn it.

That's what I'm on, honestly, I'd rather have a beer but my bipedal wife will not abide...

Yeah, I'm noticing with my at-home exercises, the pain goes from tolerable to extremely uncomfortable within a few minutes. PT is going to be a challenge, but that's the road ahead. When this bottle is done, it's done.

Probably the meds got me cornfused... ha ha ha I've seen your stacks in person, they're indeed tidy and neat. Once I'm upright again and driving I'll have to pay you a visit after work.
One thing I found out the hard way, take the pain meds before you go to PT. They will hurt you when manipulating the knee. You will think they tore it off and beat it against the wall before putting it back on. Another thing I found out is dont try to over do it. I was convinced I would be out running foot races in just a few weeks if I worked at it. All the extra work done was keep everything inflamed. I was going three times a week for PT and working at the gym on the days inbetween. The folks at the PT told me to give it a rest as I was doing more harm than good. 5 months after the surgery I was back having a MUA, Manipulation under anesthesia, and another 6weeks of PT.

I snuck out of work early today to get some saw time. Had to change the front tire before I went but that didn't take long. I cut down 7 ash trees and dragged 2 to the landing. Stopped to take a picture and all of the sudden no hydraulic steering on the tractor. Jumped off quick to take a look and oil was pouring out under the rear axle. Shut the tractor down and crawled under to take a look. A darn branch had ripped the steel intake hose right out of the rear end and out of the hydraulic filter. Nothing I could do to contain the oil other than to shove a clean stick in it to slow it down. Dealer said 3 days to get a new one. I bent this one to a reasonable shape, dumped $180 worth of hydraulic oil in it and at least got it back home to wait for the new line. There is some good news though, there is an auction tomorrow so I still have something to keep me from the honey do list. Nice pic of how flexible ash is. And a maple that is going to be interesting.
20181026_153126.jpg 20181026_152709.jpg 20181026_151104.jpg

One thing I found out the hard way, take the pain meds before you go to PT. They will hurt you when manipulating the knee. You will think they tore it off and beat it against the wall before putting it back on. Another thing I found out is dont try to over do it. I was convinced I would be out running foot races in just a few weeks if I worked at it. All the extra work done was keep everything inflamed. I was going three times a week for PT and working at the gym on the days inbetween. The folks at the PT told me to give it a rest as I was doing more harm than good. 5 months after the surgery I was back having a MUA, Manipulation under anesthesia, and another 6weeks of PT.

I only have so much and am hoping that it becomes a little more tolerable. I've always said I've got high tolerance for pain, but good lord! Still only day one so I'm not going to dwell too much on things, it can only get better from here. Well see how tomorrow goes.

Definitely not going to overdo it, I'm listening to my body. It's eager, but is in pain, so slow and steady.

I only have so much and am hoping that it becomes a little more tolerable. I've always said I've got high tolerance for pain, but good lord! Still only day one so I'm not going to dwell too much on things, it can only get better from here. Well see how tomorrow goes.

Definitely not going to overdo it, I'm listening to my body. It's eager, but is in pain, so slow and steady.
good luck on the healing buddy. i know i would go stir crazy not being able to get out the door every morning.

With all of the rain this year, I'm revising my long term plans for seasoning wood. On to of that, this summer I've managed to scrounge up the most wood I've ever had. Before my injury I had hoped to already begin splitting the logs and stacking them into future caches, but that is obviously delayed for a few months, perhaps longer.

The thing is now I have a pretty sizable pile of logs varying in length, most are 16-20" and some as long as 4-5'. They are all just thrown in a pile maybe 20'x15' on the ground and about 8' tall at its peak. I've decided to cover the tops of my split stacks for the colder months and ended up throwing a big tarp over the pikeof logs to keep them from becoming too saturated, since the sun is lower in the sky and temps are low, so airflow won't do enough to dry it out after a rain or snowfall.

In the past, I've noticed that fully covered piles of logs can draw too much moisture and cause mold growth, though never during the colder months.

What do you all suggest? Cover the log pile or leave it open for the winter? I'll likely not be able enough to start splitting stacking again until early spring, and I'll have to be very careful at that. Before the surgery I had rooted through the pile trying to overturn logs and noticed some are rather wet near the ground and perimeter, though they were oak species and had been cut for a while, perhaps near a year ago.

With all of the rain this year, I'm revising my long term plans for seasoning wood. On to of that, this summer I've managed to scrounge up the most wood I've ever had. Before my injury I had hoped to already begin splitting the logs and stacking them into future caches, but that is obviously delayed for a few months, perhaps longer.

The thing is now I have a pretty sizable pile of logs varying in length, most are 16-20" and some as long as 4-5'. They are all just thrown in a pile maybe 20'x15' on the ground and about 8' tall at its peak. I've decided to cover the tops of my split stacks for the colder months and ended up throwing a big tarp over the pikeof logs to keep them from becoming too saturated, since the sun is lower in the sky and temps are low, so airflow won't do enough to dry it out after a rain or snowfall.

In the past, I've noticed that fully covered piles of logs can draw too much moisture and cause mold growth, though never during the colder months.

What do you all suggest? Cover the log pile or leave it open for the winter? I'll likely not be able enough to start splitting stacking again until early spring, and I'll have to be very careful at that. Before the surgery I had rooted through the pile trying to overturn logs and noticed some are rather wet near the ground and perimeter, though they were oak species and had been cut for a while, perhaps near a year ago.
Ask able bodied local members to come cut up your logs for you so it's done :innocent:?

In my experience, anything on the ground will draw up moisture from the ground, even if it’s on concrete (although much slower). Anything off the ground will be fine, I don’t tarp or cover anything that I’m not planning on burning within a couple months. If it’s logs and rounds, I’d just leave it till next year. I prefer to stack rounds and splits in skids and logs on cross ties or other logs but I wouldn’t rearrange an existing pile because of it.

Latest posts

Back