Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ask able bodied local members to come cut up your logs for you so it's done :innocent:?

Not a bad idea, the majority is already cut up into logs that are ready to split. For some local guys they can likely take some of the wood as well. I'm pretty flush right now and the log pile I estimate to be between 4-5 cords worth, and I already have about 4 cords stacked and seasoning with 1.5 cord ready to burn in dry storage.

In my experience, anything on the ground will draw up moisture from the ground, even if it’s on concrete (although much slower). Anything off the ground will be fine, I don’t tarp or cover anything that I’m not planning on burning within a couple months. If it’s logs and rounds, I’d just leave it till next year. I prefer to stack rounds and splits in skids and logs on cross ties or other logs but I wouldn’t rearrange an existing pile because of it.

I know what you mean, the original plan was to get it off the ground, split and stacked in pallets by now. I didn't really plan to have a huge pile of logs sitting around this winter, but this is what it had come to.

was thinking the same thing James. maybe talk about it at the GTG?

I'm definitely planning going, do long as I'm able to drive, and I should be by then. Already upright and walking around today, though not very well, but much better than yesterday. I'll have no problem offering up some of the wood for those who put in the work, so long as you're local. I have a deep seated hatred of invasive insects like the EAB, so I'd prefer the wood to stay within a 25 mile radius. All of it was harvested right here in my borough.

With all of the rain this year, I'm revising my long term plans for seasoning wood. On to of that, this summer I've managed to scrounge up the most wood I've ever had. Before my injury I had hoped to already begin splitting the logs and stacking them into future caches, but that is obviously delayed for a few months, perhaps longer.

The thing is now I have a pretty sizable pile of logs varying in length, most are 16-20" and some as long as 4-5'. They are all just thrown in a pile maybe 20'x15' on the ground and about 8' tall at its peak. I've decided to cover the tops of my split stacks for the colder months and ended up throwing a big tarp over the pikeof logs to keep them from becoming too saturated, since the sun is lower in the sky and temps are low, so airflow won't do enough to dry it out after a rain or snowfall.

In the past, I've noticed that fully covered piles of logs can draw too much moisture and cause mold growth, though never during the colder months.

What do you all suggest? Cover the log pile or leave it open for the winter? I'll likely not be able enough to start splitting stacking again until early spring, and I'll have to be very careful at that. Before the surgery I had rooted through the pile trying to overturn logs and noticed some are rather wet near the ground and perimeter, though they were oak species and had been cut for a while, perhaps near a year ago.

Ask able bodied local members to come cut up your logs for you so it's done :innocent:?
I try to go into winter with 15 cords of split on pallets and usually have another 4-5 cords cut to length but not split sitting on pallets, I don’t cover the rounds. When I split them the next summer I don’t have any problems with bad wood.

Not a bad idea, the majority is already cut up into logs that are ready to split. For some local guys they can likely take some of the wood as well. I'm pretty flush right now and the log pile I estimate to be between 4-5 cords worth, and I already have about 4 cords stacked and seasoning with 1.5 cord ready to burn in dry storage.

I know what you mean, the original plan was to get it off the ground, split and stacked in pallets by now. I didn't really plan to have a huge pile of logs sitting around this winter, but this is what it had come to.

I'm definitely planning going, do long as I'm able to drive, and I should be by then. Already upright and walking around today, though not very well, but much better than yesterday. I'll have no problem offering up some of the wood for those who put in the work, so long as you're local. I have a deep seated hatred of invasive insects like the EAB, so I'd prefer the wood to stay within a 25 mile radius. All of it was harvested right here in my borough.
We are having our living room floors redone about a week or so before the GTG. Wife told me the couch and recliner are to go to the burn pile. I may keep the recliner in the shop and drag it out for you to sit on and supervise and take pictures of the GTG. :laugh:

I try to go into winter with 15 cords of split on pallets and usually have another 4-5 cords cut to length but not split sitting on pallets, I don’t cover the rounds. When I split them the next summer I don’t have any problems with bad wood.

That's pretty far ahead thinking. My goal was and is 3 years ahead, but I'm currently more like 2 years ahead, and my current situation speaks volumes as to why it's important to stay ahead of seasoning wood! I've got another 2 cords of cherry that could be burned later in the season, plus another cord of oak, and 1/2 of hickory. If had split everything in my log pile I'd likely be up to 10 cords total, which I'd be happy with.

I might be able to bring my 22 ton Huskee up, though, I'm running out of time.

No worries, brother. Not the end of the world, with the holidays coming up things are going to get pretty hectic for us all.

We are having our living room floors redone about a week or so before the GTG. Wife told me the couch and recliner are to go to the burn pile. I may keep the recliner in the shop and drag it out for you to sit on and supervise and take pictures of the GTG. :laugh:

Ha ha, okay we'll talk about it then. Thanks for the vote of confidence for me as "supervisor", I'll likely be yacking my trap off about my axe collection. We can talk more about it then, not really a big deal, I'll get to it eventually regardless.

its the first 'double stove night' of the year here. its very satisfying...sat in a T shirt with stove to the front, another to the rear, burning scounged quince and a few lumps of 'that' ash complete with barbed wire. By morning there will be a frost, but in here will still be warm and no gas will be burnt. satisfying

its the first 'double stove night' of the year here. its very satisfying...sat in a T shirt with stove to the front, another to the rear, burning scounged quince and a few lumps of 'that' ash complete with barbed wire. By morning there will be a frost, but in here will still be warm and no gas will be burnt. satisfying

Wow, you are rocking two woodstoves in your home? Cool!

Here's my gimp-stove tending setup.... Adjustable shop stool on casters, plus a moving dolly with an oak cutting board and pillow as a seat. This way I can comfortably lower myself to see into the stove, turn logs, or load.

Ls0WTDt.jpg

My wife had been helping me gather the firewood and some are still a bit too big, so she decided to do some splitting with her trusty 2lb Hudson Bay axe that I restored for her. She took a fair amount of chunkers and split then down to a more manageable size for her handle and to load into the firebox.

W1a4mhp.jpg

gYRK3Ro.jpg

And yes, I accosted her for splitting with open toed shoes... she went and put on some proper shoes after this pic.

I didn't end up going to the auction sale. She told me if I thought the rain was light enough that I could stand outside in the rain all day at a sale then I could work at home in the rain too. Then she suggested "we" clean out her garage. Yeah, that isn't going to happen. I ended up working in the rain most of the day ripping an old elevator apart and robbing pieces from it to build my new conveyor for my 36" splitter. It was a nasty day but I was smiling the whole time. I win I win. I even put brand new tires on it ( only 76 more tires to sell now, damn auction). I'm putting the tin and the lifting gear onto the skeleton elevator. She didn't make much progress on the garage, some of that steel has been under the bench for 20 years. Tomorrow I'm going to rummage thru that pile and get a few pieces of steel and just weld them here and there on the conveyor just to prove a point. That isn't my Harley, I ride a Honda once a year, it's the black one sitting behind that one.
20181027_140332.jpg 20181027_175647.jpg 20181027_165037.jpg 20181027_175640.jpg

The rain just does not stop here. All last night through about 11 this morning. I got out to our family land to post the borders and finish pitching brush off the trail I cut last week. Got wet from everything in the woods being wet but got the job done. Raining for hours again tonight. This **** needs to stop.

The rain just does not stop here. All last night through about 11 this morning. I got out to our family land to post the borders and finish pitching brush off the trail I cut last week. Got wet from everything in the woods being wet but got the job done. Raining for hours again tonight. This **** needs to stop.
It has been rainin here for 3 days. Got the spruce in the garage before it got here. I should go steal my gf's yard roller.

Back