Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got all the limb wood put into crates. Ended up with just over 16 of them. I'll burn this stuff first and leave the pretty split wood for later in the winter.We were having a nice discussion at breakfast and I might have mentioned again about missing that mill, she says " why didn't you just buy the damn thing if it was so cheap". I think they do that just to see how far we'll go. You know that OJ Simpson was onto something. Worse thing is that the black hat lives near me and my son seen them drive past on their way home. Not sure if many guys on here know how it works but most Amish and Mennonite don't drive so they have neighbours who drive them around to auctions, hospitals, Dr's appt, city shopping etc. So this 25' long big blue sawmill was hauled home behind a Chrysler mini van loaded with 4 people. People were taking pictures of it as they drove out the laneway. The frame hit the highway when they turned onto the road. But at least he had the last bid. I'm still so mad about missing it that I'm putting my mill head into the barn next weekend, about 4 hours on it this year. My spalted poplar is going to be even more spalted by next year.
View attachment 684565

View attachment 684563
I went to a big gun auction in PA. I collect Savage 99's, and they had 70 of them there. When I got to the farm there were buggies filling up the field. Was an old Amish fellow that had passed and his family was selling his collection. About an hour before the sale started a tour bus with Ohio plates pulled up and there must have been at least a hundred guys on it. I assume the bus was hired out of Ohio, because the first thing the auctioneer said was he could not make any out of state sales. If you want to see how deep an Amish fellows pockets are, go to a gun auction, with a couple hundred hunting rifles.

A "firewood locator". I need one of those. Been looking for a couple years years now. I think I have narrowed it down to a Yamaha TW200.
Sure is a lot of fun and pretty easy on fuel. Yeah I was set on a tw200 too, seems like they would work great but everyone around here wants almost new price for the used ones. This bike (DRZ 400) was a lot better price and has about twice as much suspension travel much easier on my back.

Sure is a lot of fun and pretty easy on fuel. Yeah I was set on a tw200 too, seems like they would work great but everyone around here wants almost new price for the used ones. This bike (DRZ 400) was a lot better price and has about twice as much suspension travel much easier on my back.

When I was in power sports TW & BW 200's were like gold. Lots of crop checkers wanted them. We also never held onto a DRZ 400 for very long. Super reliable and that motor is fantastic in stock form or modified.

Back at the the Oak that went down in a storm a month or two ago!
f6d8e12db9aed0f7069cd784887cbe0b.jpg
8f21e3d2f58b6ed978573d484a2126c2.jpg
b6136ee334aca7fc86241f7957558e63.jpg

I'm having the same issue. Tdubs hold a high resale value. One of the reasons that is one of the bikes I am looking at is because I have a 26" inseam. I cant touch the ground on a drz.

I'm having the same issue. Tdubs hold a high resale value. One of the reasons that is one of the bikes I am looking at is because I have a 26" inseam. I cant touch the ground on a drz.
Yeah the drz is an 06, Tdubs around that year in this area are $1000-1800 more than the drz was and it has about $800 of after market goodies. I think you can get a lowering kit for most of the taller bikes. Maybe going into winter you’ll be able to find a better deal on a tdubs.

Well haven’t been scrounging much firewood lately, been spending time with the new granddaughter :):)View attachment 684628she’s a heart stealerView attachment 684627Did get a new firewood locator-finder tool thoughView attachment 684630Had some nice fall colors earlier View attachment 684631View attachment 684632 Little differant color nowView attachment 684633

She's a beauty, Nate! She'll be tossing big fir logs up onto her shoulder in no time. Have you bought her first chainsaw yet?

Great pics as always :)

I looked at DRZs and had the same problem. Couldn't touch without leaning the bike to one side. Eventually I picked up my Grom. Wish they maid a modern 450 quad that was street legal.

Latest posts

Back