Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had some time to get out yesterday for awhile. Working in a tough area not accessible by vehicle, so progress is slow. Finished up a Red Elm stem and a blown out Black Cherry top. The Black Cherry stem is next, and it’s a good one.

Picture wouldn’t load. I’ll try it later.

You sure it was 'dead'?

Philbert

It was a blow down still attached to the root ball. The caretaker of the very small cemetery already limbed it. I was told it had been down 1-2 years. It did not look to have been down that long. My best guess is it got blown over in a wind storm this past summer. But no, it was not dead when it blew over. In fact, it had some green sprouts trying to come out.

It was a blow down still attached to the root ball. The caretaker of the very small cemetery already limbed it. I was told it had been down 1-2 years. It did not look to have been down that long. My best guess is it got blown over in a wind storm this past summer. But no, it was not dead when it blew over. In fact, it had some green sprouts trying to come out.
I wonder what that's worth in 10 footers. Too short for gun stocks now.

I go back to work tomorrow after a week and an half off. I figured I should get another load of Oak today. Ran the 044 and 262xp again. The only section left is the one attached to the root ball! I'll try and get that when I have someone there to help! That's a 25" bar on the 044!
47c8a47fe06f648da871cc42f9ac7105.jpg
31323043aa7664eebd284c3b724f67e7.jpg
859659a55be7fc73709fc19a19217ea6.jpg
87ab7ddb373ddcadfe76e49e26a151c4.jpg

A friend asked me if I wanted to get a downed hickory in a cemetery. About 80-90% through the process I realized it’s not hickory.

View attachment 684697

Tough to tell from pics, but the 2 things that popped into my head were either Black Walnut or some type of Elm. You will know the difference when you try to split it. If it splits no problem it is Walnut, if it is stringy as heck it is Elm.

Tough to tell from pics, but the 2 things that popped into my head were either Black Walnut or some type of Elm. You will know the difference when you try to split it. If it splits no problem it is Walnut, if it is stringy as heck it is Elm.
You dont have to make it that far. If it smells like walnut its walnut. :D

Guy at work was telling me about his saw that didnt run right or cut. He took it somewhere and they made it run but didnt address the chain or oiling issue. I asked him what kind of saw it is & he said he didnt know....months later (today) he brings me the saw. A HOOSKVAHNA 340. In a HOOSKVAHNA hardshell case! So I guess I get to tinker with a 340 sometime. Good thing I got piles of wood out back to cut on.

Won't be posting any more pics. You need to download a program to downsize your pics. The error is cause the pics are to big. Way to make the site harder to deal with.
I have that issue on 'another site', but never on A.S.

I just click 'Upload a File', then select it from my hard drive. Same thing on my 'smartphone'.

Might be different with different software / platforms.

Phiblert

Latest posts

Back