Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lightning scorched white oak.

Be a nice start on next year's wood. Out back now! My buddy couldn't cut enough wood today playing with a Jred 451ev. Heated handles are my new favorite saws!

Nice cherry tree. Cut in 2 to make pulling easier! Now I have some splitting to catch up tomorrow!

Basically stuff I had to get before it started to rot.

Steel wedges pop out as much as the plastic ones, and they hurt a lot more when they hit you.

The biggest cut (injury) I ever got on the job was from a steel wedge that popped out of a log, did a double summersault, and then sliced through the web between my left thumb & forefinger. It didn't get the tendon; but it did give me about 5 stitches.

It certainly got my attention, too. I think that may have been the last time I tried to split a large diameter oak slice with a wedge 'n sledge. That sumbitch just spit the wedge back out at me. From then on, it was noodles for me. I'f you don't understand that last comment, just go ahead & reveal your ignorance and ask. It'll be a big benefit for you to know about.

The worst part about that little tale was that my employee came to me with the explanation that the wedge kept popping out and he wasn't getting anything done. My response: You just need to hit it harder! So I went into "demonstration mode"; that lasted for just one hit.

Wee're off to see the doctor, the wonderful doctor of
120px-First_aid.png

I have a 2 stitch scar under my chin from a high speed plastic wedge ...
And got **** from the doc because I went 5 hrs after it happened and then got **** from the wife for getting home late and ruining a perfectly good tee-shirt lol

I should mention while I was filling the wood box... My buddy fired up the Pissed Off Jred 70e and chunked up all but the last 10' of small end of that oak. It was getting dark and chain was dulling (teeth are soft files and dulls rapidly). Then his 625II on/off switch crapped out so it went back in the truck. Called it a day.

I really appreciated the help today. Sucks pulling logs when ya gotta climb on an off the tractor and spot ECT .. Not to mention all the brush we slashed to get those couple logs out.

I haven't found a pair of gloves that holds up. I destroy everything I put on my hands.

$1.99 Lowes specials or $29.95 HD leather... the finger pad tip areas on one or two fingers always seem to wear thru. then while the rest works fine, I have two or so fingers working wood. and usually they... don't care for the ruffness of the bark or split... gloves - I guess they are just like fuel... gotta replace them! ;)

zog.jpg

I have a 2 stitch scar under my chin from a high speed plastic wedge ...
And got **** from the doc because I went 5 hrs after it happened and then got **** from the wife for getting home late and ruining a perfectly good tee-shirt lol

and... dinner that was still waiting, still in the oven? ;)

I had reason to go to HD today. then I went over to their saw dept. plenty saws, but little in supplies. some tools. echo's felling wedge listed on site, but not in store. maybe so Texas just not far north enough? lol ;) still, the Mgr I had to see anyways was quite helpful. and suggested I mite look at some composite wedges. so :wtf: ... umm, I mean, what the heck? so off to the interior trim dept we went. handed me a pack of these. I was doubtful. then I thot, hmm... a dozen! :) and when I asked how much? he looked and said... will set up back $1.98. by TimberWolf. what the heck? I can stack them, shorten them, or use as needed, if needed. or, go shim a door jam... lol... in the meantime. maybe square up a cabinet out at the farm. here is some pix. to me, can't hurt to have. I don't have much tree work that calls for the risk of sticking a blade, but it has happened. last time clearing a downed big limb... I stuck my blade. din't think limb ready to bite. then had to go get tractor, lift, yada dada dee, etc. pita! at my age, if I have to get higher than the limb's diameter... I call in a pro-team... so, I will toss them into one of my saw's cases. just in case. :cool:

P5080001.JPG P5080002.JPG P5080003.JPG P5080004.JPG

Lightning scorched white oak.

Be a nice start on next year's wood. Out back now! My buddy couldn't cut enough wood today playing with a Jred 451ev. Heated handles are my new favorite saws!

Nice cherry tree. Cut in 2 to make pulling easier! Now I have some splitting to catch up tomorrow!

Basically stuff I had to get before it started to rot.

good pix, thanks for the show! :) what general area is that?...

East Central Minnesota. Its a real mix woods birch, popular, cherry, elm, white oak, pin oak, red oak, maple, cottonwood and way too much boxelder. Family lore there was some old growth white pine that was saved to build with 100+ years ago... I just forget what!

I had reason to go to HD today. then I went over to their saw dept. plenty saws, but little in supplies. some tools. echo's felling wedge listed on site, but not in store. maybe so Texas just not far north enough? lol ;) still, the Mgr I had to see anyways was quite helpful. and suggested I mite look at some composite wedges. so :wtf: ... umm, I mean, what the heck? so off to the interior trim dept we went. handed me a pack of these. I was doubtful. then I thot, hmm... a dozen! :) and when I asked how much? he looked and said... will set up back $1.98. by TimberWolf. what the heck? I can stack them, shorten them, or use as needed, if needed. or, go shim a door jam... lol... in the meantime. maybe square up a cabinet out at the farm. here is some pix. to me, can't hurt to have. I don't have much tree work that calls for the risk of sticking a blade, but it has happened. last time clearing a downed big limb... I stuck my blade. din't think limb ready to bite. then had to go get tractor, lift, yada dada dee, etc. pita! at my age, if I have to get higher than the limb's diameter... I call in a pro-team... so, I will toss them into one of my saw's cases. just in case. :cool:

View attachment 686862 View attachment 686863 View attachment 686865 View attachment 686867
I usually have a pack of them here, not the Timberwolf brand though, I like them a lot for doors/windows :).
Almost grabbed a Timberwolf TW HD2 up the other day, but one person beat me to it, it's not a composite wedge ;).

I haven't found a pair of gloves that holds up. I destroy everything I put on my hands.

I was the same until I discovered the Nitrile gloves. About a dollar a pair at Walmart in the 3 pair pack. they are basically 'throw aways' but last mse longer than a pair of leathers wood. Bonus is there is just enough roughness to make picking up wood nice plus thin enough that one still has good feel. I even file chains and change chains on the saw with them on. I put on a pair as I go out the door no matter what I am going to be doing.

$1.99 Lowes specials or $29.95 HD leather... the finger pad tip areas on one or two fingers always seem to wear thru. then while the rest works fine, I have two or so fingers working wood. and usually they... don't care for the ruffness of the bark or split... gloves - I guess they are just like fuel... gotta replace them! ;)

View attachment 686859
Wrap a couple layers of duct tape around that finger hole and carry on. Wear the fingers out of blow a seam out.

Latest posts

Back