Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
40 years of climbing and I have always hated gloves. Climbing, I don't know how many times I had a good grip on a limb, and my hand slid out of the glove. Then I started making a fist and wedging it in a crotch so I wouldn't slip. Then a friend gave me a pair of the cheap white cotton gloves with the blue ruber fingers. Got them for $5 a pack of ten. We started calling them "spider man" gloves. You could grip every thing and they never slipped on your hands. Most climbers hate gloves and have hands like shoe leather anyway. The few climbers I know that do use gloves wear the "spider man" gloves. Some of the younger guys that have one of every contraption ever made hanging on their belt use the new high tech climbing gloves, but I've never tried them. Plus, I don't climb anymore. I got a couple super fine splinters in my hands, so I grabbed my blue Hobart Welding gloves for firewood and splitting duty. I tolerate them.

On the glove topic

9acdeff1-1498-42f4-9700-5c0934a0412a.jpg

I get fair life out of these with an excellent grip at 4 Cnd Kopecs a pair .

I don't climb, but I always wear gloves when I work with fire wood to reduce splinters and the impact of pinches. Also, my hands get rough enough, they don't need to get any rougher.

Good leather gloves will really reduce the damage from a lot of minor mess ups, the most common kind - pinches, scrapes, etc. Sometime I see what I've done to the leather, and I'm just glad it wasn't my hand! To each his own!

Got a little saw scrounge the other day. Sthil 026. Owner said his dad straight gassed it. Pulled muffler, yep looked pretty ruff. Asked him what he wanted me to do, he replied, just keep it he had two other saws and it might be good for parts. Hyway had a black friday sale on a china top end kit. $16 and shipping. What the heck, bought the big bore kit and should be here in a few days. Blasphemy I know, but if it will run it will be worth the $25 spent to fix it. It will have its own place of honor setting next to the Pouland pro on the shelf to only be pulled into service when I need a light saw.

Got a little saw scrounge the other day. Sthil 026. Owner said his dad straight gassed it. Pulled muffler, yep looked pretty ruff. Asked him what he wanted me to do, he replied, just keep it he had two other saws and it might be good for parts. Hyway had a black friday sale on a china top end kit. $16 and shipping. What the heck, bought the big bore kit and should be here in a few days. Blasphemy I know, but if it will run it will be worth the $25 spent to fix it. It will have its own place of honor setting next to the Pouland pro on the shelf to only be pulled into service when I need a light saw.

good for you! I do like my 026!

Nice scrounge.
I've got a couple 026's, just grabbed up this little 024 a couple weeks ago. It needs a piston also and I got one from HL Friday to, just not the chini chini one.
Here's a few pictures.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PQoALVWoPUDBcrP29

Especially in cold weather. Seem to get more dings and scrapes when the skin is cold.

Philbert
Also hurts more when I get my fingers pinched/beat up in the cold :surprised3:.
I need to do some work on my suburban, dreading it in the cold, but I'd be happy to be out cutting in the same temps as I don't get so beat up.

Nice scrounge.
I've got a couple 026's, just grabbed up this little 024 a couple weeks ago. It needs a piston also and I got one from HL Friday to, just not the chini chini one.
Here's a few pictures.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PQoALVWoPUDBcrP29
I need to take of pic of my saw, but its to cold. so. Anyways, most of my saws are somebodies elses junk. I have a 55 husky I bought new and everything else came from the junk pile. I think the most expensive saw I have, besides the new 55, is my 272xp. I have $75 bucks in it and that is including a new chain. I am graduating from saws to 4wheelers. My cousin called me up and asked if I could rebuild a grizzly 600. I told him I had never worked on any 4wheelers, what is wrong with it. Locked down. well bring it up, the worse I can do is tear it apart and not be able to put it back together. Spent half a day trying to get the spark plug out only to find out the sparkplug is 8mm instead of 3/4, 5/8, or 13/16 which is what every other plug I have ever seen is. Sprayed it full of pbnut blaster and it freed up in about 30min. Sprayed ether in it and it fired up. I wanted to do a compression test, but my tester wont screw into the plug hole. compression feels pretty good so worth working on. Pitcock on gas tank leaking as fast as I can pour gas in it. I took the pitcock apart and cleaned it up, now just waiting on a warmer day to put gas it it and see if it still leaks. He said the carb is also messed up so I might have to rebuild or replace. I used to have really good luck rebuilding hollys and quadjets, maybe the grizzly carb wont be to bad.

I need to take of pic of my saw, but its to cold. so. Anyways, most of my saws are somebodies elses junk. I have a 55 husky I bought new and everything else came from the junk pile. I think the most expensive saw I have, besides the new 55, is my 272xp. I have $75 bucks in it and that is including a new chain. I am graduating from saws to 4wheelers. My cousin called me up and asked if I could rebuild a grizzly 600. I told him I had never worked on any 4wheelers, what is wrong with it. Locked down. well bring it up, the worse I can do is tear it apart and not be able to put it back together. Spent half a day trying to get the spark plug out only to find out the sparkplug is 8mm instead of 3/4, 5/8, or 13/16 which is what every other plug I have ever seen is. Sprayed it full of pbnut blaster and it freed up in about 30min. Sprayed ether in it and it fired up. I wanted to do a compression test, but my tester wont screw into the plug hole. compression feels pretty good so worth working on. Pitcock on gas tank leaking as fast as I can pour gas in it. I took the pitcock apart and cleaned it up, now just waiting on a warmer day to put gas it it and see if it still leaks. He said the carb is also messed up so I might have to rebuild or replace. I used to have really good luck rebuilding hollys and quadjets, maybe the grizzly carb wont be to bad.
My countertop is usually pretty warm:laughing:.
That one was someone else junk too, but they didn't sell it for junk price lol. I may have a 272 coming this way soon, may even be a nice one, I'll just sell it as I prefer the 3 series saws. Now didn't you buy some new chains a while back lol.
Those plugs will get you. I had a kids quad like that. I drove 2 hrs for a Honda trx90, got the deal all squared away and was ready to pay and leave. Then comes out "the closer", his mom, ends up she's the top salesperson at the chevy dealer she works at :nofunny:. So I ended up getting ripped into two other kids quads I didn't really want, the one was seized up and the other wasn't too bad just didn't want to deal with the cheap 2 smoke thing, carbs have a fuel enricher and can be a pain and then there's the electrical issues they all seem to have. So now I've got to make something out of the extra 200 I spent, I got the electric start working as well as the kick start :clap:, it wasn't seized at all:dancing:. I ended up making more on them than I did on the Honda, but all the Honda needed was the carb cleaned and some minor adjustments.
As far as the carb goes it will have a bunked up float bowl and the jets will be plugged. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner that will be your friend, but most likely a can of brake parts cleaner and a small torch will be all that's needed to get it cleaned and working well. I wouldn't buy a kit for the carb until you get it pulled apart and cleaned, and the only reason I usually buy a kit is if the float bowl gasket is bad or the needle is leaking, other than that they usually respond well to cleaning.

I don't climb, but I always wear gloves when I work with fire wood to reduce splinters and the impact of pinches. Also, my hands get rough enough, they don't need to get any rougher.Good leather gloves will really reduce the damage from a lot of minor mess ups, the most common kind - pinches, scrapes, etc. Sometime I see what I've done to the leather, and I'm just glad it wasn't my hand! To each his own!

uh-huh! I have couple of glove bites that saved my hand from a deeper cut. :yes:

For some reason I fear that you're no longer talking about firewood....

you probably are right. I was a bit concerned the glove issue mite be construed as a hijack. but I hope its not an issue. think the glove items brought up are helpful with scrounging... some do it bare hands, others do it with gloves on.

glove tech or no glove tech?...

I need to do some work on my suburban, dreading it in the cold, but I'd be happy to be out cutting in the same temps as I don't get so beat up.

I can relate to not liking mechanical work outside in the cold. dressed for it or not! been there, done that!

My countertop is usually pretty warm:laughing:.
That one was someone else junk too, but they didn't sell it for junk price lol. I may have a 272 coming this way soon, may even be a nice one, I'll just sell it as I prefer the 3 series saws. Now didn't you buy some new chains a while back lol.
Those plugs will get you. I had a kids quad like that. I drove 2 hrs for a Honda trx90, got the deal all squared away and was ready to pay and leave. Then comes out "the closer", his mom, ends up she's the top salesperson at the chevy dealer she works at :nofunny:. So I ended up getting ripped into two other kids quads I didn't really want, the one was seized up and the other wasn't too bad just didn't want to deal with the cheap 2 smoke thing, carbs have a fuel enricher and can be a pain and then there's the electrical issues they all seem to have. So now I've got to make something out of the extra 200 I spent, I got the electric start working as well as the kick start :clap:, it wasn't seized at all:dancing:. I ended up making more on them than I did on the Honda, but all the Honda needed was the carb cleaned and some minor adjustments.
As far as the carb goes it will have a bunked up float bowl and the jets will be plugged. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner that will be your friend, but most likely a can of brake parts cleaner and a small torch will be all that's needed to get it cleaned and working well. I wouldn't buy a kit for the carb until you get it pulled apart and cleaned, and the only reason I usually buy a kit is if the float bowl gasket is bad or the needle is leaking, other than that they usually respond well to cleaning.

this isn't firewood nither, but I like it! lol :p

Get that poll barn done and you can work on it in there.

Latest posts

Back