Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the reason I stopped using wooden handle splitting devices. When the 8 lb splitting head came back at me an brushed my cheek, I realize what may have happened to me if I had not "slipped" it! Went to metal Monster Mauls after that, then the Fiskars.

I have the attachment for 36" bars for milling with the chainsaw, but it is not practical to try and mill any logs greater than 30", unfortunately, I just turn them into firewood. I also checked with a local mill, and they won't handle anything that large either. (Had a 12' 40" Red Oak log).

>That is the reason I stopped using wooden handle splitting devices.

I stopped... when I got my hydraulic splitter. lol. I like to hand split with an axe, but the oak I see... fresh or aged is a chunk to tuff split.

still I do like all my axes and maul...

Well I love that smell of course, but you know how odd women can be. Reminds me of how much I liked the smell of my papaws '80 chevy 3/4 ton truck. It smelled of chewing tobacco and hay and there is nothing in the world like it. If they made that smell in a new truck I would love it.

:popcorn2:

Agreed with above completely. The fresh cut hay, tobacco and occasional spilt warm brew shared with friends and neighbors really made the old Chevy cloth seats take on a "memory" So to speak. Not to mention the smell of a hot tranny and leaking motor oil. All great recollections. Only found by visiting a salvage yard now (with few exceptions). If you can still find one that hasn't been crushed!

that is one thing I like about a fresh kill... err, well... fresh pile of split oak stix... I can smell it all over the back yard area where stacked or... even just lying if not stacked yet...

Day 6 and all is going well. From the time I woke up tuesday afternoon, till I left Wednesday afternoon I had near Zero pain. Took no pain meds while I was in hospital. They kept saying the operitive meds were still working, probably. I could bend the knee enough to get dressed and put my socks on. Just before the PT got there to release me, a nurse came in, and told me I wasn't supposed to get dressed, the PT was supposed to show me how. I asked her if "She was asking me to get Uundressed?" Getting around with walker was no problem. Getting in and out of bed was hard. Moderate pain, but it was more like the leg was still half asleep. It wouldn't move till I told it to 10 times. Walked 1 mile Saturday and didn't keep track Sunday.Using the cane around the house now. My future Son in Law is a Doctor of Physical Therapy. His specialty is Cardiac PT. My wife hounded him into bending my knee, so now I'm hitting the Oxycodone pretty good. I was looking at the wound and didn't see any sutures or staples. Simon said they probably just Super Glued it and wrapped it in Sarran Wrap. I'm miles ahead of where my left knee was at this point. Doc skipped home therapy and went straight to out patient. I think that was a good move. So far, happy camper.

scary pix, imo, but glad to hear u r a happy camper!! :)

Most likely the knee had started to go crooked pre-op and the incision would have been straight when he did it. With your new parts installed and alignment rectified, the originally straight incision is now crooked. Hope the recovery continues to go well. Gaining range of movement is time sensitive, make sure you get after it now!

no, I am sure... it's so he can walk a crooked mile... :laughing:

:yes:

That just sucks. It's usually bad this time of year. Hope they catch up with facebook guy!

it's all over. the bad part is seems to be getting worse. you should see the 6 pm news here ... its daily

- 16 yr old shot, dies in street shoot out not too far away

- guy walks up and shoots HS kid, he dies

- 7-11 hit, robbers come in guns pulled... rob store and 8 people. just down the street

- lady walks to car, high end grocery store area well lit, etc... gets to car and thieves dash up, take groceries and rob her... at gun point!

-the list is endless...

now u know why I go abouts... "open carry!"

I have a half german shepard half norweigan elk hound that people had deemed a throw away puppy. Loyal and loving dog unless he feels you are a threat. Watching over the kids like a hawk at all times. No doubt he would take bullets for them.

interesting. I have elkhounds. since the 5th grade. only elkhounds. any chance u can post up a pix of ur mix. I would be interested in seeing... btw - if u don't mind saying, what is ur dog's name?...

In my opinion small dog will bite faster then big ones. But I grew up around rottweilers and boxers. Also not brainwashed by the MSM anti pity agenda. They should do some research on the history of the breed they would be shocked by what they find especially when it comes to pure game bred dogs and human aggression.

u r right James. other day I was walking my older elkhound... and a lady was walking two lil ??? things. we exchanged a hello... in passing... so mine wanted to go over, I said, he just wants to say hi... ok, she said but... gotta warn u... that is Hurcules!! and he has a small dog attitude!

the two sized each other up... stared each other down... one looking up, other looking down... then...

BANG!

lil tiny Hurcules leaped into the air with a as big as he could manage... 'bark!'... and grazed across my dog's nose... boy did he just back fast!

no harm done, just perhaps to mines ego! lol

Be careful out there with all the parties taking place. I was at a party the other night, had a little wine, a few mixed drinks and way too much beer. I realized I was over the limit and did what I’ve never done before, I took a cab home. Lo and behold about 2 miles from the party there was a police sobriety road check. When they saw the cab they just waved it thru. When I woke up the next afternoon and finally got rid of the hangover I walked out to the garage. The cab was still in the garage, now I have to figure out who’s it is and what to do with it. I don’t want the dang thing.:surprised3:

Above Average... in Headwork on that decision! they would have nailed you. but, what about the yellow cab? it was the one u were in?

A few years ago one of my Tree Guys showed me trail cam pics of one only about a mile from here … they are out there.

One was killed on the highway years ago and they said DNA tests said it was the same one spotted here, there and everywhere (many of the locations hundreds of miles away). I'm thinking to myself that Puma must have a jet pack!

we got them up at my place. I have seen them. black puma cats.... [no thanks!]

Latest posts

Back