Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revisiting this topic briefly.

I have been running this enough to touch up the chain a few times. Been on the 011avt 16" so far. I am going to try on the 191t which is virtually the same motor size but feels stronger torque and rpm wise. We'll see.

The chain suprisingly pulls some big chips! Honestly I think 91 chain with the shark fins cut better and stayed sharp longer on the 011 which is marginal power wise for its 16" bar.

Gonna try swapping the bar onto the 191t today. Not sure it will fit I think it depends on how many teeth the spur is? I expect a simular result but like I said the 191t feels stronger.

Not sure I will run it today am hoping to get into some bigger wood again.

interesting. I have elkhounds. since the 5th grade. only elkhounds. any chance u can post up a pix of ur mix. I would be interested in seeing... btw - if u don't mind saying, what is ur dog's name?...

This is the only one I can find of him. I'll try and get a better one of him. He was a throw away puppy as they left him and litter mates for dead. Some folks found them and raised them. Knew he had german sheppard in him because of the snout, teeth, and face. Thought he might be mixed with black lab as well. Sent in the DNA test for him and he came back with a 90% mix of sheppard and elkhound and the rest retriever.

Attachments

• REGGIE.jpg
    REGGIE.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 36
Ok so maybe its just the hard dry oak. I did a bunch of slash and cut this mix of oak, cherry and mystery wood. Went great except the 5-6" oak it's just a little tough gotta dog in if ya can imagine that with this little guy.

Working my way into 3-4 large blow down cherry trees. But that's for another day.

This is the cherry glory hole. This is under water spring and often fall.

I decided to pull the snag today. Made a verticle cut with the MS191t plenty of saw for 1 cut. Left a bit of holding wood chained it and yanked it down. Not much for brush gotta love that!
tool to take screen snapshot
Can see it didn't take much to hold it.

This was the small one and it was just about 55' tall. Here is the next one its quite a bit larger diameter.

it's all over. the bad part is seems to be getting worse. you should see the 6 pm news here ... its daily

- 16 yr old shot, dies in street shoot out not too far away

- guy walks up and shoots HS kid, he dies

- 7-11 hit, robbers come in guns pulled... rob store and 8 people. just down the street

- lady walks to car, high end grocery store area well lit, etc... gets to car and thieves dash up, take groceries and rob her... at gun point!

-the list is endless...

now u know why I go abouts... "open carry!"
Hate to keep beating the same old drum, but the law locked them up and turned them loose. My other neighbor house had a screen removed and window broke out. Law went out and took report. Later, the scum bags went back and broke out another window. Still nothing done. Later, the scum entered into the yard of my neighbor at the end of my drive, The parents where not at home, but their teenage daughter was. She called her uncle that lives across the road and he came out shooting. I doubt he was actually fireing at the theives, but they left in a hurry. I have took to going outside at nite and just shining my spotlight around my place. My neice was visiting my brother, her father, She smokes and went outside to light one up. Heard something in the woods below the house, she coughed and whoever it was ran off. It wasnt a deer, but she couldnt see who it was. Last week, had a guy walks up to my house, I was gone, but my grandson was here. Said he ran out of gas and wanted to know if we had any. Bogus story I would think. For one thing ,my road does not connect to the main highway, for another, he had to walk by a bunch of other houses to get to mine as I am the last house on this road. My grandson didnt know who the guy was, but I suspect it might of been the guy that broke into my brothers barn and was wanting to look around my place to see what he could tote off. I am looking at buying some security cameras to put up around the place. It wont stop a thief, but at least I might get his picture. I am wanting a system that will record in a 7 day loop, wireless and has battery powered cameras. Anybody have any good suggestions. I dont have power accessable where I want to put the cameras, so they have to be battery powered.

Hate to keep beating the same old drum, but the law locked them up and turned them loose. My other neighbor house had a screen removed and window broke out. Law went out and took report. Later, the scum bags went back and broke out another window. Still nothing done. Later, the scum entered into the yard of my neighbor at the end of my drive, The parents where not at home, but their teenage daughter was. She called her uncle that lives across the road and he came out shooting. I doubt he was actually fireing at the theives, but they left in a hurry. I have took to going outside at nite and just shining my spotlight around my place. My neice was visiting my brother, her father, She smokes and went outside to light one up. Heard something in the woods below the house, she coughed and whoever it was ran off. It wasnt a deer, but she couldnt see who it was. Last week, had a guy walks up to my house, I was gone, but my grandson was here. Said he ran out of gas and wanted to know if we had any. Bogus story I would think. For one thing ,my road does not connect to the main highway, for another, he had to walk by a bunch of other houses to get to mine as I am the last house on this road. My grandson didnt know who the guy was, but I suspect it might of been the guy that broke into my brothers barn and was wanting to look around my place to see what he could tote off. I am looking at buying some security cameras to put up around the place. It wont stop a thief, but at least I might get his picture. I am wanting a system that will record in a 7 day loop, wireless and has battery powered cameras. Anybody have any good suggestions. I dont have power accessable where I want to put the cameras, so they have to be battery powered.

sorry to hear about all that MS. such conditions create a serious state of stress. I don't live at my ranch full time. every time I go there I approach the house with fingers X'd... always a relief to see thing's integrity in tact. so far, so good... my fingers X'd for you...

Sounds like every time I go up to my cabin. Luckily we have not had any vandalism up there, but we are certainly vulnerable to it. Also fear animal invasions, mostly the porcupines which will eat through almost anything except the cement board + metal, but I have also heard of bear break ins now and then. They can tear through a cabin wall fast if they want to. We did have a cooler attacked by a bear one night, luckily it was out side. He just bit it and flung it into the air like it was nothing. Luckily, it was a fairly young one, and we were able to chase him off.

My friend said if he had a video of me running after and chaining it wearing nothing but my boots and my underwear, with a flashlight in one hand and my Glock in the other hand, he could have made a fortune on youtube! We had "shooed" him away multiple times that night, but after I ran after him and chased him into the woods, he did not return. We were staying in the cabin while building it, and did not have the front door installed yet.

Sounds like every time I go up to my cabin. Luckily we have not had any vandalism up there, but we are certainly vulnerable to it. Also fear animal invasions, mostly the porcupines which will eat through almost anything except the cement board + metal, but I have also heard of bear break ins now and then. They can tear through a cabin wall fast if they want to. We did have a cooler attacked by a bear one night, luckily it was out side. He just bit it and flung it into the air like it was nothing. Luckily, it was a fairly young one, and we were able to chase him off.

My friend said if he had a video of me running after and chaining it wearing nothing but my boots and my underwear, with a flashlight in one hand and my Glock in the other hand, he could have made a fortune on youtube! We had "shooed" him away multiple times that night, but after I ran after him and chased him into the woods, he did not return. We were staying in the cabin while building it, and did not have the front door installed yet.
Check local firearm dealers, Fiocchi makes 12 ga rubber buckshot. They catch on very quick.

Yes! There was a tiny bit of cherry and even a chunk of the wonderwood, @dancan spruce. I have kind of a Midas touch ability with all types of trees - if I handle it, it turns into firewood.

Agreed that neighbor scrounges ARE the best.
Apple wood scrounge from the neighbor, with the last few sticks of ash from their construction project. I'm going to stack this by the fire pit.20181216_140533.jpg

Apple wood scrounge from the neighbor, with the last few sticks of ash from their construction project. I'm going to stack this by the fire pit.View attachment 690631
Save that APPLE for the woodstove!! Not the best BTU's but smells great. I have a stash of apple to burn over Christmas just for the smell.

Check that btu content ,,,

Last week

Ss6ZPQ8.jpg

This week

0ZN4eSI.jpg

It was a big sky day , no wind and about 38F , great day to go take inventory :)
Pine ,
IXF42jJ.jpg

And a birch blowdown

ESMcZQc.jpg

Soon be tractor time :)

I'm building an Asian 660 with Blue covers. Decided to do this project when one of my tree guys gave me an 066 in a box. No crank, few bolts, and tank holder was broken.

I was going to use the OEM cases, but the chain adjuster on this Asian one is very smooth, so I figured I will use the AM cases and save the originals.

I used the OEM control lever so I will have a high idle, and I will use an OEM piston pin bearing, a Meteor Piston, and the OEM cylinder. The rest of the saw will be Asian 660.

This will likely be my last build before Tax Season.

It will be the first time I try porting an OEM 066 cylinder. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• IMG_20181216_190239200.jpg
    IMG_20181216_190239200.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20181216_190251414.jpg
    IMG_20181216_190251414.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 16
Save that APPLE for the woodstove!! Not the best BTU's but smells great. I have a stash of apple to burn over Christmas just for the smell.
Yeah, some of it may end up coming in for the fireplace. It's either that or the outdoor fire pit - seems too good to go in the OWB. I thought it is above oak on a lot of btu charts though. Just hard to get a lot of it.

If you have a smoker there is no finer wood imho.
I don't, but the guy I got the locust from a few weeks ago is a real smoked meat aficionado that would appreciate some I'm sure. Wait, what... now I'm giving wood away on the wood scrounging thread!!

Back