Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that could really help me out. Did some figuring over the weekend and if I keep going like I am and things go well, I can retire at 72 and live comfortably........for about 9 weeks !!!!!!!
I've been at the same place for 15 years. Figure at least another 35-40 years before I can have any serious thoughts of retirement. Just in time to die.

You have no idea how jealous I am right now. This is my view from 0900-1700.
View attachment 691154
Night work does have some benefits. I can stay up all morning and sleep in the evening or sleep when I get home in the morning. Depends what the day has in store for me.

I've had a chance to season for a year some Umbellularia Californica aka Bay Laurel Tree wood. Now that I'm burning it, the stuff is pretty good. It seems to be about half way between oak and pine in terms of how long and how well it burns. There were several downed trees up the road last year and it was pretty easy to scrounge. Kind of a funky tree, but I'll be back for more if I can.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbellularia

california-bay-laurel-tree-tunnel-hidden-villa-santa-clara-county-usa-125637073.jpg

I've had a chance to season for a year some Umbellularia Californica aka Bay Laurel Tree wood. Now that I'm burning it, the stuff is pretty good. It seems to be about half way between oak and pine in terms of how long and how well it burns. There were several downed trees up the road last year and it was pretty easy to scrounge. Kind of a funky tree, but I'll be back for more if I can.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbellularia

california-bay-laurel-tree-tunnel-hidden-villa-santa-clara-county-usa-125637073.jpg
Interesting tree. Wasn't aware of this SOD.
The tree is a host of the pathogen that causes sudden oak death.

Interesting tree. Wasn't aware of this SOD.
The tree is a host of the pathogen that causes sudden oak death.

I didn't know that either. I was going to cut both of the ones on my property down for fire protection. But, they're only about five inches in DIA.

https://www.firesafemarin.org/plants/fire-prone/item/california-bay

"Bay laurel is fire prone, and may contribute significantly to wildfires due to its high volatile oil content. It is recommended that all Bay laurel trees be removed within 30' of structures.

As a primary host for the Sudden Oak Death pathogen, remove any Bay laurel within 30' of any Live oak or Black oak."

Got little done on my mess of slough cherry. This one was water logged. Not sure what I did but really F'd up my chain the other day. Definitely need a grinder to fix this one. It started cutting crooked so I went to sharpen it. It was like all the pto side cutters hit something. The off side were normal-ish. I had it about 35° cutting dirty stuff all the pto side looked more like 20-25°.

Looks like another 14-15 chunks to split and I'll be back to cutting! Wahwhoo!!

Been tryng to clean up my wood pile. Cleaned out my shed and laid down some plastic to keep the moisture down. Laid landscape timbers on the plastic and then pallets on the timbers. Should get good air flow. About 2.5 cord stacked inside shed. Rows are about 20 ft long and 5 ft high, wood is 20in lenghts, mostly.
1219181608.jpg
Another 2 cord, +/- stacked up against the outside of the shed.1219181609.jpg
Close to another 2 cord left to stack. 1219181608a.jpg
And maybe another cord left to split1219181608b.jpg Should have between 6 and 7 cord and everything will be cleaned up. I have to get it cleaned up as it was scattered all around the shed and I got more wood to bring in.

My goal is to get the other lean to on the old grainery cleared out someday. Then I could easily have 20 cords under cover. For times like this year where life got in the way.

Problem is I need a garage or pole shed first. The old mans got an old JD. "D" in there and an odd ball 1952 "B" with round axles and single front wheel. No idea WTF the idea of that was. Maybe to get a specific ground speed or something.

Back